The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I've heard from some people who have been using the Playstation Now Beta that even a 5MBit connection has been insufficient to adequately stream the game content. I know it's not sensible to dismiss a service on the basis of a pre-release version, but it does underline the potential problems with a cloud-based system like this. If I were to pay those kinds of prices, I'd want to be almost 100% certain it was going to work smoothly, especially when even a small amount of lag could potentially ruin a game. As it is, I'd much rather pay a flat price for a disc that I know will almost certainly work properly than take a chance on an expensive limited-time rental service that may or may not function properly.

I've heard from some people who have been using the Playstation Now Beta that even a 5MBit connection has been insufficient to adequately stream the game content. I know it's not sensible to dismiss a service on the basis of a pre-release version, but it does underline the potential problems with a cloud-based system like this. If I were to pay those kinds of prices, I'd want to be almost 100% certain it was going to work smoothly, especially when even a small amount of lag could potentially ruin a game. As it is, I'd much rather pay a flat price for a disc that I know will almost certainly work properly than take a chance on an expensive limited-time rental service that may or may not function properly.

Also, data caps. I know I've harped on this before, but people won't be pleased when they stream two to three games in a month, watch a few shows on Netflix/Hulu/WWE Network and then find they're pressing up against their cap.

The internet industry is working in the opposite direction of the gaming industry in this regard.

I'm worried about data caps and the fact that my internet connection isn't steady. It fluctuates between 5 mbps and 15. I used to think it was because of my roommates, but even when no one else is home and I'm only running one device, it still does it.

I'm going to give Plus a shot (and they actually will have a button you can press to make sure that your connection is good enough, prior to spending on a game), but I'm worried that while the idea is good, the internet business isn't in a place right now where it makes sense to launch something like that.

I'm definitely going to try it out.

At best, I can spend less than $10 to try a game out. If I like it and didn't finish the main mode during my rental period, at least I know that I'll wanna pick it up. It can really help me out, with being able to talk about more games from a personal perspective, instead of just relaying information from other sources to my customers.

At worst, it's glitchy or my internet won't support it properly, so I will have to pass on it. But hey, at least it's not a monthly subscription that I get locked into. I can try a game out and see how it goes. If it's seemless, I'll keep using it. Otherwise, it's no real loss for me.

• Like 1

So ater my Blu-Ray drive died, I decided to go download only on my PS3. AFter spending 6 hours or so downloading GTA 5 yesterday, it hit me..."Well, my PS3 has a 250GB hard drive. My laptop, which I bought after my PS3 and the bigger hard drive, should have bigger..."

Yea...I checked my laptop today, which is about 5 years old...it has a 30GB HDD.

Wow...I bought my PS3 in 2007 or 2008...got the hard drive for it in 2009 when Circuit City went bankrupt...I remember that because I went there specifically with the purpose of during a cheap laptop drive for my PS3...my laptop is probably about 5 years old now...and I was actually surprised to see how small the HDD in it was...

I was hoping Strider might be cross buy so I could still play it on PS3 but I'm not sure it is. That Doki Doki game might be though so at least that's something.

I was hoping Strider might be cross buy so I could still play it on PS3 but I'm not sure it is. That Doki Doki game might be though so at least that's something.

I kinda wish the Doki Doki game was free for PS4 :(

I kinda wish the Doki Doki game was free for PS4 :(

Doki Doki is cross-buy! Three PS4 games for July! I am so excited ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

The footy was on last night, so I gave my gf the Vita to play like the good boyfriend I am. She played Tearaway - I've had it ages but haven't got around to giving it a go. From what I saw, it's not really my kind of thing, but she loves it. At least I'll be getting any trophies she earns from it. :shifty:

Well, I knew you'd said that before, and the general opinion of it is very good. I'm more of an FM Classic guy!

She was really enjoying it. Although the system of putting holes in the paper using the back pad seemed a little temperamental. Either that, or mine is a bit dodgy, which I wouldn't think so as it has only been used sparingly on Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

No, she would be right, the finger thing on the back pad isn't perfect. Until you see it for the fourth time or so, its sloppy, really. After that, you adjust.

If I were you, I would sit down with the game for an hour and check it out. It's very personal, on that level. You understand the journey better, going yourself.