Sign in to follow this  
Mattman

Sony Megathread

Less people likely to have picked it up before I guess. I mean, I wouldn't pay for a rounders simulator myself but as it's free I'll give it a go. Not played one since Bo Jacksons Baseball on the Amiga...

5 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

People moaned about PES being a free game that one month and then they go and do a Baseball game 🤷‍♂️

I can't speak for any other regions, but during my time running an EB Games location, I can safely say that MLB: The Show outsold PES and FIFA combined by an outrageously large number.

I can even say that in the five years I was there, I probably only moved (at most) twenty to thirty copies of PES. FIFA did a lot better, but usually during the summer time when all the tourists were here and the foreign exchange students moved into their Canadian homes.

The Show didn't come anywhere near out-selling NHL or Madden, but if those were Tier 1 sports games... The Show was Tier 2, and the football/soccer games were easily the lowest selling of the bunch.

Speaking to other store managers at our conferences, it seemed very similar all across Canada.

So, people bitching about PES most likely already purchased it because they were a die hard fan, or were upset because it's a sports game they have absolutely no interest in. Because The Show is more popular in Canada (and likely in other regions) than PES, it's likely that is why there isn't the same backlash to a sports title being included.

Sports games are perfect for those services to use as free game fodder though. Annual release cycles hurt the sales anyways, and the money to be made really is in the online modes and micro-transactions. So, if for instance, next year they dropped NHL free on Plus or Gold from day one... yeah, they'd lose sales of the game, but they'd have a bunch of online players geared up to spend big right out of the gate, because they'll feel like the value they're getting is worth the money they want to spend to enhance their online experience.

Of course, then you'd have people like me who would just happily take the free game, never touch the online stuff and play franchise only... giving the companies zero dollars.

I'd expect a baseball game to outsell football games in America and Canada. 

I'd expect the same of basketball and obviously American Football and Hockey in America and Canada

I'd expect football games to outsell a Baseball game in the UK and Europe because football is the main sport in a lot of these countries. 

But I know a lot of people who were looking forward to PES. Instead of changing it to a certain region, it got changed across multiple regions. 

• Like 1

We don't know for certain that PES was pulled because of a negative reaction. Sports games have been on Plus before, including PES 2014. There are also a lot of complaints about every month's offerings, and they'd never made a last-minute swap before.

34 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I'd expect a baseball game to outsell football games in America and Canada. 

I'd expect the same of basketball and obviously American Football and Hockey in America and Canada

I'd expect football games to outsell a Baseball game in the UK and Europe because football is the main sport in a lot of these countries. 

But I know a lot of people who were looking forward to PES. Instead of changing it to a certain region, it got changed across multiple regions. 

How you getting on with PES anyway? Message me if you need help getting hooked up with an option file for kits etc. 👍 @DavidMarrio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

How you getting on with PES anyway? Message me if you need help getting hooked up with an option file for kits etc. 👍 @DavidMarrio

Managed to sort it, easier then it used to be to sort all that out

I'm enjoying it, it's a good game. Only minor grip should hopefully be sorted in the update as at times if theres a lose ball it's like players stutter as to whether to go for it or not. I could defend better too but I am enjoying it

Sure I played someone off here in a ranked match and drew 2-2 after getting 2 people sent off. I recognised the PSN name but couldn't remember who it was 

They've had issues with player switching for years - don't bank on that being fixed.

And yes, it's much easier and quicker to get the kits etc in the game now. It's also serving as the official game for Euro 2020 too, so that mode will be added next year. Hope they go all out with it. One thing Konami don't do well enough is use the licenses they do have to full effect. They have some half decent European leagues in there, but aside from the main competition logo, not a lot else. If the package came with the official scoreboards/balls/pre match graphics like FIFA do for the PL and La Liga, the presentation would be great.

Just saw TLOU 2 trailer and I am pissed

Spoiler

Did they Fridge Ellie's girlfriend???? Like seriously what the fuck? I am pissed because I was really looking forward to that dynamic. It's not like they couldn't have still included Joel. It didn't have to be one or the other.

9 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Just saw TLOU 2 trailer and I am pissed

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.gamesradar.com/last-of-us-2-trailer-september-2019/

I'll put it in spoilers just in case, and because it seems like it's speculation:

Spoiler

The trailer begins the day after that dance. Ellie and Dina joke about sharing a kiss before heading off on their patrol route, an unseen voice warning them about running into "anything they can't handle" before they immediately run into something they can't handle. It looks like their patrol goes wrong, it may be Ellie's fault… and Dina seemingly gets captured by a hostile group and executed.

Despite warnings from Tommy (Joel's brother, who helps lead the settlement), Ellie still sets out to get revenge on the people who killed Dina. 

I assume that's the character you were talking about?

If this is really where they are going with the story for this game I'm disappointed as well. Revenge plots are so overdone and that trope in particular needs to go away. There is still a chance that this is a case of misleading editing. Remember the trailers for Uncharted 4? They really wanted us to believe that Nathan Drake would die in that game and that didn't end up happening. 

Mine and my wife's biggest issue with the trailer...

Why the hell do they always have to kill the gay person? Why can't they just be happy?!

Unless of course it's a big ol' misdirect.

1 minute ago, Ruki said:

Mine and my wife's biggest issue with the trailer...

Hide contents

Why the hell do they always have to kill the gay person? Why can't they just be happy?!

Unless of course it's a big ol' misdirect.

Especially since gay means happy!

• Haha 1

I will be so happy if they are just fucking with me and it's a big misdirect. Maybe like

Spoiler

Ellie goes on this huge revenge killing spree and then finds out she didn't really see her die. Like the whole game these people are trying to explain but Ellie just wont hear it and then Ellie is all happy to be reunited but Dina just sees her as this remorseless killer now and you have to wonder if they can work past it? Like it's another downer ending and that means maybe a third game but I'm ok with that

• Like 1

Knowing Naughty Dog, it's almost definitely misdirection.

In other news, Death Stranding has gone gold, which means it's not getting delayed which means Sony's first party studios are going to hit their initially announced release date for the first time in about a gazillion years.

• Like 2

I just realized that I haven't bought a single game for the PS4 this year so far. The Outer Worlds next month is gonna be the first. And maybe MediEvil. There is a bunch of stuff coming up in November with Doom Eternal, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Death Stranding. Meanwhile there is so much cool stuff coming out on the Switch. Maybe I should get one. 

Finally bought Spider-Man. I am terrible at it. Hopefully this won't ruin my enjoyment.

Christ though, I'm awful.

• Like 1

I got WWE2K19 since it's now dirt cheap and I'm absolutely terrible. I don't even understand a good chunk of the gameplay mechanics, and I really they'd go back to a "if you're knackered you get pinned/submitted" rather than horrible golf game circles. I keep losing really early on to nothing moves, and the showcase mode where you have to do certain things is killing me.

To nobody's surprise, the next Sony console will officially be called the Playstation 5. Two new announced features are haptic feedback and adaptive triggers for the controller.

On 04/10/2019 at 22:56, Bigal said:

Finally bought Spider-Man. I am terrible at it. Hopefully this won't ruin my enjoyment.

Christ though, I'm awful.

You'll get used to it quickly when you've got the hang of it. 

Really enjoyed Spiderman, probably one of my favourite games of the PS4 era

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

You'll get used to it quickly when you've got the hang of it. 

Really enjoyed Spiderman, probably one of my favourite games of the PS4 era

You could've said 'when you get in the swing of things'. Poor form.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1