The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

12 hours ago, Onion Apsham said:

I really wish the regular sized new 3DS would just come out here already. None of the Animal Crossing ones landed anywhere near here which is a shame. I don't care about the faceplates or anything like that, I just like the size. The comfort of a 2DS is not worth giving up for the awkwardness that an XL mode gives me.

THAT'S YOUR FAULT FOR HAVING DAINTY HANDS. :angry:

....thing is, I'm onboard with that. Haven't touched my 3DS in awhile....

• 3 weeks later...

Xenoblade X is absolutely phenomenal. Sure it's taken a while to get past the forced story bits at the start, but now the game has opened up and I've gotten used to the Xenoblade controls again it feels just like exploring a magical new world.

At first I was a little disappointed by the graphics but the draw distance is out of this world and there's so much going on in the world around you with the whole landscape being densely occupied by weird creatures, instead of a few animals popping in every now and again.

Don't bother, play Xenoblade Chronicles X if you're interested in it. XC has a better story, XCX seems to be a large game. You don't have to have played the first though.

Edited by TKzo Amore

Honestly, the only negative point I have with the game is that it's fiddly to play solely on the tablet because you have to tap an invisible 'button' on screen to switch to the map and it doesn't pause the game so you can still move about even though you can't see what you're doing. I guess the combat is a bit strange to anyone who hasn't played Xenoblade before, but once you get to level 10 of the drifter rank you can choose which skill set you want to have, and switching from combat knife and assault rifle to LONGSWORD and assault rifle drastically improved my fun during combat.

It takes a little while for the game to open up mind, I just finished Chapter 4 and now I'm just ignoring the main storyline and going out to do mini fetch quests and explore territory and exploring New Los Angeles.

Another thing to point out is that you need to install data probes in order to fast travel to those locations, instead of the Xenoblade Chronicles method of discovering a landmark and instantly being able to fast travel to it, which is a little backtracky but feels so much more rewarding when you finally get sneak past some monsters 20 levels stronger than you to plant a fast travel probe.

Overall I'm really impressed, I've barely scratched the surface but there's so much to explore and discover. It's been a long time since I played a game where I was disappointed to have to stop playing, it just seems designed for 'one more quest' or 'just a little further' and I'm constantly blown away by how much is going on on screen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jesus, getting a wireless Snes controller would cost me 40 to 70 bucks. I'm better off getting an Extension Cable for 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Fire Emblem Fates

Okay - so here's what I understand as far as that goes.

There are two hard copies out there in the wild tomorrow - Conquest which is meant to be a bit more of a hardcore experience with less HP/gold being pushed out for instance, and Birthright which would be closer to Awakening in play style. Both games are the same up until Chapter 6 where a split occurs - and you take the path of the game that you chose. In total there are going to be three paths:

Conquest
Birthright
Reveleations (DLC, not available in a physical form and sees you take your own path instead of aligning with another kingdom)

Each game is said to be the length of Awakening for anyone calling foul about this.. odd way to sell the game, but apparently you get the hours of gameplay out of one that you would with the previous installment. There IS important information if you want to get the whole shebang and make it feel like one game the way that the Japanese have it and the Special Edition people will have it.

DON'T BUY TWO PHYSICAL COPIES. That is, if you want them all on the same "cart".

Instead you'll want to buy one of the games physically, and the other digitally. I know my local EB is allowing you to buy a digital code for the OTHER game if you pick up the first as a physical, and I believe the eShop is doing the same. I also read that if you miss this deal and beat your copy of the game, you will be offered the chance to buy the other(s) for a 50% discount.

If you buy TWO physical copies you will have to play the different paths by switching carts. If you do it digitally you can select which path after Chapter 6.

This is as I understand it.