The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

For me, these were the highlights:

Deadly Premonition 2 - I never thought this would get a sequel, so this took me by surprise.

Jedi Outcast - Probably a bigger surprise still. I hear that Jedi Academy will also be coming next year. They probably haven't aged well, but I had fun with them back in the day.

Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection - Black Flag's pirate gameplay was a lot of fun, and having Rogue in there will be a nice bonus too.

Return of the Obra Dinn - Not sure if I'll pick this up, but having it on a handheld is appealing.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Perhaps not for me, but it's great that it's coming to Switch, and with cross-save compatibility with Steam, no less.

Overwatch - Again, not necessarily my thing, but I can't say I'm not intrigued to see how well it'll sell.

SNES Games - Best announcement of the show for me, mainly because it includes Super Tennis. That's legitimately one of my favourite sports games ever.

So since this is The Fire Emblem Thread, I'm curious to know what everyone did for each character's final class generally, and if any of them were particularly good/stood out, or if any were kinda off the obvious beaten path. Here's what I did, in spoilers so people don't have to scroll past a big block:

Claude, Edelgard, and Dimitri all went with their special classes but I did max out Paladin for Dimitri, which helped some.

Raphael - War Master
Ignatz - Mortal Savant (I'd probably keep him Assassin if I do Golden Deer again)
Hilda - I've done both Great Knight and wyvern stuff with Hilda, and she's pretty great at both.
Lorenz - I'll tell you what's really damn stupid, the game's story leaning on Lorenz as a Paladin. I made him Dark Knight with the Staff of Caduceus and he was suprisingly tanky.
Marianne - Holy Knight, but if I do her again I'll keep her a Bishop.
Lysithea - Gremory (probably the best one in the game)
Leonie - Bow Knight

Dorothea - I heavily used Dorothea twice, once as a Dancer and once as a Mortal Savant, and she was amazing at both.
Caspar - War Master (I like War Masters)
Ferdinand - Great Knight
Petra - Assassin (easily the best one I've used, she's so great)
Bernadetta - Bow Knight (I can't figure out why you'd pick Sniper over Bow Knight tbh)
Hubert - Dark Knight (down the dark magic line, naturally)
Linhardt - Bishop, though I did some dalliances with Holy Knight but didn't think he was very good at it, and it took way too much work. He really wants Gremory but, yeah.

Dedue - War Master
Ingrid - Falcon Knight
Annette and Mercedes - Gremories, though both had their obvious secondary weapons (Annette got axes, Mercedes got a magic bow). Mercedes is an amazing healer.
Ashe - Wyvern Lord, though I mostly had him down the bow line before the wyvern classes become available. He ended up as sort of an Diet Claude and paired well with Ingrid and Seteth zipping over the map as the Kingdom Air Force.
Sylvain - When I brought him in for Golden Deer, I went Dark Knight and he was... not great. He's a solid Great Knight though.
Felix - Like I said, I made him a Dancer and... honestly wouldn't advise it, unless you really are hard up for the spot.

Cyril - Wyvern Lord, which took a little work
Flayn - The one time I used her, it was as a Dancer. She's a great support unit but can't really go on offense like Dorothea did in the role.
Hanneman - Dark Knight when I finally used him, taking him down the dark mage classes too. He... made me miss how tanky Lorenz was in the role.
Seteth, Gilbert, and Alois just stuck with what they started in and the related classes, I didn't do anything weird. Didn't get much use out of any of them.
Catherine and Shamir both got some skills and went back where they started. Catherine got Assassin stuff and a secondary bow, Shamir is back as a Sniper for the end of the game.
Manuela - fucking lol, why is she so bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sousa said:

So since this is The Fire Emblem Thread, I'm curious to know what everyone did for each character's final class generally, and if any of them were particularly good/stood out, or if any were kinda off the obvious beaten path. Here's what I did, in spoilers so people don't have to scroll past a big block:

Hide contents

Claude was his special class. Will do the same for Edlegard.

Raphael - War Master!
Ignatz - Went full Archer, near the end I tried training him in mage. Didn't work great.
Hilda - Fortress Knight. She is a beast of a tank. Tried Wyvern near the end, didn't like it. 
Lorenz - I never did anything physical with him, pure mage. Dark, specifically. Eventually went Dark Knight when he could!
Marianne - Holy Knight as well.
Lysithea - Gremory!
Leonie - Pegasus Knight

Dorothea - First time around: Gremory/Dancer. Likely doing that this time around as well. 
Caspar - Currently have him in Brigand. 
Ferdinand - Currently a Paladin. 
Petra - Working towards Assassin!
Bernadetta - Bow Knight the first time around. Probably going to work towards that as well. 
Hubert - He's following the Dark path. How can you do anything else?
Linhardt - Bishop currently... not sure what to do with him. 

Annette and Mercedes - Gremory as well. Mercedes rocked it in my first playthrough, working Annette towards that path now. 
Sylvain - Currently have him as a Cavalier, prob staying down that path
Felix -Is amazing in everything! But in my GD playthrough, he killed it as a Mortal Savant.

Cyril - Wyvern Lord as well.
Flayn - Gremory...... pretty much everyone was dual casting. 
Hanneman - Just down the mage path. Didn't do too much with them. 
Alois stayed in his main class.
Catherine I tried to do Mortal Savant, but I messed up and forgot to let her learn any magic. Oops.

Shamir went bow knight.
Manuela - Bishop into Swordmaster.

Edited my stuff in the quoted spoiler box. 

...okay, so I know I said I was visiting pure evil on Felix, but I tried to arrange the relationships so he'd end up with Bernadetta (who's one of my favorite characters) as a "reward"--plus their supports were very cute.

The game gave me the middle finger and made Bernadetta single.

And then it kept visiting even more evil on Felix.

...by giving him to Sylvain.

5 minutes ago, Sousa said:

Can you make any headway with gambits/Knightkneeler/Horseslayer? I really love the dark mage classes' abilities and I'd hate to not have them in that mode.

The first time you fight him, I had no luck, but I don't think I had Knightkneeler/Horseslayer, and my gambits weren't doing enough.

The second time I was able to defeat him.

The third time, I had to rush the main boss otherwise he was going to tear me a new one. Gambits only seemed to do a pitiful amount of damage. Although, I'm sure if I set things up better I would have been fine. 

Yeah you've pretty much got to rush Solon in that fight and you're probably on too much of a tight timeline to detour to the other side of the field--I have a hard time even getting the chests in that battle on Normal. I think the next time you could get him is Chapter 12 depending on your route, a little late to start Dark Bishop but Lifetaker is really worth it.

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Where's the Virtual Boy?

I never owned one. I also never owned a Gameboy Advance. Pretty certain I owned every other Nintendo console/handheld other than those 2. My DS, 64 and Gameboys are missing.

• Like 1

Considering picking up some of those game vouchers, because there's a handful of games I'd like and two games for £84 isn't a bad deal at all.

Definitely going to pick up Link's Awakening because I mean seriously, LOOK AT HIM

Not sure what to pick up for game 2 though. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looks rad, as does Astral Chain. Help me decide, nintenerds.

Also if you suggest Fire Emblem I'll ban you.