The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Yeah, if you want to marry Olivia, you have to keep Chrom away from Sully, Maribelle, Sumia, and Ladyrobin for pretty much every fight. The four of them can be married before then if you screw it up, but you miss the chance to marry Ladyrobin to Yarne or Gerome or somebody, and Maribelle and Sumia lose the chance to marry Henry (who's a good husband for either). But if you can do that, it's fairly easy--just have her dance for Chrom over and over in the Gangrel fight and you're on your way.

I'd suggest pairing Ladyrobin up with someone else of the same sex (or someone who's married) in the early game just so she has a support partner. If you want to marry Maribelle and Henry (a good choice), then Maribelle's a good option since she'll otherwise be out of action and you may want her around since she's so good.

Alternatively, pair her with Tharja because that support line is pretty great.

Whichever is on the bottom of the skill list gets inherited. You can change that under Equip Skills by going to Reorder, which brings the selected skill to the top of the list. The exception is Chrom, who always passes down Aether to women (Lucina, Kjelle, and Cynthia) and Rightful King to men (Brady, Morgan, and Inigo). Lucina also passes down Aether to Morgan no matter what, so an Olivia-fathered Lucina is a pretty great wife for a Skill or Speed-centered Boyrobin.

Some classes are gender-exclusive (like the Pegasus Knight line), so you may want to have parents who can go down those lines pass down skills to their kids. Cherche and Miriel, for example, can go into Valkyrie and pass on Dual Support+ to Gerome and Laurent, who otherwise can't get them. Most people who can pass down Galeforce (Lissa, Sumia, Cordelia, Olivia, Maribelle, and Ladyrobin) will want to on the lower difficulties. The male-exclusive skills aren't as good, unfortunately, but I do rather like Gamble and Counter (Dual Support+ and Gamble look great together since the pairing up bonus basically negates the penalty you get from Gamble).

One thing you can theoretically do with Chrom's kids is have the two of them both inherit different skills from Mom. Say Chrom marries Sumia. I'd definitely give Lucina Galeforce to help Lucina avoid the Pegasus Knight line and stick to chasing Great Knight/Paladin/Great Lord skills. Cynthia, however, starts as a level 10 Pegasus Knight, so it's pretty easy to get her up to Galeforce. You might want to have her inherit a skill from a line you want her to avoid--like, say, War Cleric (Renewal is really good)--and have her get Galeforce on her own. Sumia's probably the best for this since most of Chrom's other marriages result in boys, except for Sully, who can't get Galeforce and isn't a particularly good wife for Chrom anyway.

EDIT: By the way, Sully's not bad for Lucina, but she loses out on Galeforce altogether, and it's the only marriage that Chrom can get that does that. It also really hurts Kjelle, who only gains one new class from the deal... and that class is Archer.

• Like 1

Picked up a New 3DS XL and Xenoblade Chronicles with my bonus this month. Forgot how much I fucking dig the story and characters of this, it could so easily be the usual anime drivel, but there's some great depth at times and the world is so great. For the most part it controls pretty well, not really sold on the camera nub, it ALMOST feels responsive enough, but just a little bit not enough? It hasn't been an issue yet, but I imagine it might later on when getting a decent view of the enemy and being in the right spot matters more.

Mario Party 10 is fine if you catch it for $30 or so. The actual Mario Party board game style is nearly identical to 9, but that's fine if you didn't bother owning 9.

Bowser Mode, however, can fuck right off. That mode is just begging for your friends or children to savagely beat whoever is Bowser.

But savage cruelty towards your friends is 50% of the point of Mario Party!

(the other 50% is randomness being more important than skill)

• Like 1

I'm liking Xenoblade too though I haven't had much time to play it. Is this the way FF12 was too--the whole "rub into enemies and attack them automatically" thing?

If I remember right (and youtube seems to agree), you still have an ATB that needs to fill up before you do an action. You press a button (Square?), it brings up the usual Final Fantasy battle menu (Attack, Magic and so on) and once your ATB is filled up you then perform whatever action you choose. If you select Attack and leave it as Attack, you'll keep doing that action every time the ATB fills, until you choose a new action.

It's alright, I think Xenoblade probably does it better by ditching the ATB entirely, but XII does have some of the greatest AI team customization ever, which improves the experience a bit.

I forgot how massive this game is with Side Quests, there's something insane like 450+ in total.

But savage cruelty towards your friends is 50% of the point of Mario Party!

(the other 50% is randomness being more important than skill)

Both can be found in copious amounts via the Mario Party mode. Bowser Party is just amazingly one-sided. Even your whiskey-drunk, one-eye-12%-open friend barfing on the end of the couch can win as Bowser.

I was playing Mario Kart with a bunch of friends and was absolutely whooping their asses and they were like "oh, let's play Mario Party! That game is a lot more fun!" It wasn't more fun, it was just a game they could beat me at because of how random it is :(.

• Like 1

I find the randomness of Mario Party fun, but only with the right people. Having a good time is more important to me than winning or losing, but if there's just one competitive person playing, Mario Party becomes a tense exercise in trying not to start a fight.

• Like 1

I find the randomness of Mario Party fun, but only with the right people. Having a good time is more important to me than winning or losing, but if there's just one competitive person playing, Mario Party becomes a tense exercise in trying not to start a fight.

Yup. Two of the people that tend to play in my group are extremely competitive. It can quickly suck the fun out of it. Bowser Mode = 3x as fast.

So I found a Fire Emblem save that I hadn't touched for a long time. I forgot what it was for... and then I realized that I had no male/female supports at all.

I was trying to play the game with no kids.

I was just up to Mad King Gangrel, finished the chapter without getting Chrom near Maribelle, Sully, Robin, Sumia, or Olivia, and...

maiden.jpg

YUP.

maiden2.jpg

"Sorry, babe, the Chromster only goes for ladies with names. Like Tharja. Or Cordelia."

The Pictionary type game in Game & Wario is the best possible reason to have kids.

Or to have drunk friends! It's wonderful.

Have you tried the second game on "Gamer"? The first one is just trying to hide that you're playing games from your Mum, but the second one is utterly insane. You're ostensibly playing Balloon Fight, but every time you hit a balloon it opens up a little three second mini-game thing, and they're all really, really fucking weird, in the best possible way. I think it's my new favourite part of Game & Wario, after months of having far too much fun wrecking friends' shit by launching Fronks in annoying places.

So the Splatoon demo is up... but you can only play it at certain times. It's available for the next hour if you can download it quickly, and then tomorrow from 7 am to 8 am and 3 pm to 4 pm, you can play as well. I think I'm going to have it in time to play some tonight.