The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

So I have €150 worth of CEX vouchers and I think it may be time to get a 3DS to play the new Pokemon! Is the original 3DS OK or is there anything lacking that it might be worth forking out for the New 3DS? Don't really want a 2DS because I want to experience the 3D aspect too!

There will probably be a few games that are New 3DS exclusive, so far the only one I know of is the Xenoblade Chronicles remake. I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon, but if it's a small price difference, maybe worth it.

It was like a £50 difference for me so I just went with the older 3DS and I don't see enough of a difference (mate of mine's got the new one) to warrant the extra money. As pizza says, depends on the price difference for you. Get Fire Emblem as well as Pokémon though!

I hope they shed more light on that at E3. The DSi was meant to have a lot of exclusive games, but they only ended up amounting to a small handful, and I'm hoping that will be the case again. I think much of it will depend on how long Nintendo plans to support the 3DS going forward, and whether or not it will be impacted by whatever the NX thing ends up being. I think the 3DS still has plenty of potential life in it and I'd like to see it continue to churn out decent games, but I hope Nintendo doesn't end up focusing too heavily on the new 3DS and leaving the owners of the older models behind.

Is this an announced/rumoured "new 3ds" or is it just what we're calling a particular type of 3ds?

This 3DS + Zelda for $100 is mighty tempting but if there's a new one coming I might hold off...

EDIT: I Think I just found it. Is it the one with the extra shoulder buttons?

• Like 1

I love Splatoon. It feels like a Dreamcast game in the best possible way, like Jet Set Radio or something, just bright colours, crazy music, super-deformed characters, Nickelodeon-style heavy-handed 90s "cool" that somehow winds up going out the other end of cringeworthy and becoming cool again, and just pure fun.

I'm terrible at it and I don't even mind, I'm having that much fun. I've never felt any need to rage quit, never found myself getting mad at it, I just play the whole thing with a big grin on my face.

I normally hate shooters, and hate online play especially, but I love it. Shifting the focus away from "try and shoot the other dudes" immediately takes away the "oh, fuck that guy!" attitude to getting killed by another player, the randomised teams changing each round even moreso. Hell, even the fact that there's no microphone support - which I'm sure some people would see as a negative - I think adds tremendously to the online experience by removing one of the things which makes online play so insufferable, as you'll never know if the person you're playing against is an obnoxious prick or not.

• Like 2

After discovering and completing the single player mode, I gotta say that it feels fairly bland and unmemorable for quite a while but the final boss makes up for it and then some. I'm a big fan of bosses can only be beaten by techniques that you've mastered throughout playing the game instead of just wailing on a huge HP bar. Plus finding level locations is pretty fun and there's something really thereputic about filling a whole level with ink.

I like how quickly they're adding content to the multiplayer too now, it seems like every two days we get another map or weapon or something. The only problem is that these maps are clearly already on the disk (you don't need to update to play them) so right out of the box Splatoon could have had all this variety without feeling fairly barebones on day one.

I prefer that they slowly release content. Gives the community reasons to keep coming back to the game.

What is everyone go to weapon? I'm a Splattershot Jr guy all the way. I've got accessories enhancing my health and damage, so it takes the edge off it being a little light on damage. I sometimes use the Kraken Roller, but I just love the Splattershot Jr.

Aerospray for turf war, Krakon Roller for ranked, but sometimes I'll switch it up in ranked because I don't really care too much about winning or losing.

Also for the record there's been some Smash Bros leaks

Ryu and Roy (likely to actually be made purchasable this Thursday) and a Kirby Stage

Edited by peteypirahna

I love the new gun that just came out last night. I played a few rounds today and I was routinely earning 800+ points per round. With a 300 win bonus, I was routinely earning 1150/1200 points.

Re: the spoiler... I would prefer newer characters that were quirky. A Splatoon character !

Smash Bros release summary:

* Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are all added

* Ryu comes with a stage based on his Street Fighter II level and gets more power if you input his moves like they were in that game instead of just using B (so you can do the down-to-forward-A command to do a Hadouken for more power)

* Free Miiverse level with posts voted on by the community

* Bunch of Mii Fighter costumes including two Virtua Fighter characters, Heihachi from Tekken, MegaMan.exe, Zero (from MegaMan, not from Ohio), Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and Splatoon people

* Wispy Woods Kirby stage added

All paid DLC except the Miiverse level, and it's all out AS OF RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: eShop is at like 0.8 Muta right now so you'll probably want to wait.

CHeui8DVAAAorEL.jpg

*throws up horns*

EDIT: I haven't quite gotten the hang of Ryu. He handles a little bit like Ike, so he's a heavy who hits hard but has kind of lousy recovery. I can't get the combos down, but SHORYUKEN is much better as a hitting move than as recovery. He'll probably be creeping into my rotation like Mewtwo has been but he's no Peach or Captain Falcon or Rosalina.

Haven't played Lucas or Roy yet but I didn't like them in their previous iterations. I don't like the Mother PK THUNDAH recoveries and Roy was a Diet Marth in Melee so I'm not super-excited about him in a game that already has Marth and A Marth I Like Better (Lucina).

EDIT #2: Yeah Roy still sucks. WHERE IS WOLF?

I'm just interested to see if they're using the Earthbound Zero translation, the Mother 1+2 translation or a brand new translation.

Because if it's a new translation for a 26 year old game, then it opens up the possibility of them getting a team to translate Mother 3 officially.