The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Mario Maker is a great two player game. I play the expert level courses while my husband laughs everytime I die or guilts me when I try to skip a level. I feel our relationship strengthening with each life I lose. 

I've also now been informed by my husband that using Yoshi is cheating because he played the original Mario games without Yoshi so therefore I should try and beat these levels without the aid of Yoshi. Even where Yoshi is essential to beating the level. Yoshi is a cheat code in Mario Maker to my husband. 

Edited by RPS
  • Like 1

I shall do it in the near future - currently I'm only playing on the present Mrs. Skummy's account, and have only uploaded one level, which is more or less just testing out the underwater palette. When I get the chance to play around more, I'll share level codes and whatnot.

• Like 1

I need to re-attempt Blathers vs. The Music Thieves. Last time round I was categorically not very good at it.

It's unforgivingly hard. It's too much. There aren't any beats to it, and everything from the music notes (which suck) through the thwomps is just a constant rush. I don't like it very much but I want to make more "Blathers's old secret double-life as a cave-dwelling adventurer" levels.

In fairness, it's more enjoyable than some of the infuriatingly hard levels on there, though that may be in part because I love the concept, and it's not just ALL THWOMPS ALL THE TIME like some levels I've seen. I hate music blocks, though - music blocks and springs are the bane of my Mario Maker existence, they're over-relied upon and rely too much on timed jumps and chance, and fuck that noise.

As much as I love that the whole point of Mario Maker is subverting what you expect from a Mario game - this question mark block must have a helpful power-up, oh wait, no it's a Boo - a lot of level designers really need to take a step back and see what makes Mario work in the first place. For me, the strength of Mario is that it never feels cheap, it always feels like if you fail it's your own fault, not a fault of the game or the level design. Too many Mario Maker levels have stuff like Thwomps falling you on the second the level starts, or blind leaps of faith - things that you basically need to get killed by first time round to learn from, and that's the antithesis of what makes Mario great.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the problem with the way Expert 100 Marios is set up (which I believe is tied to completion percentages). Some people are genuinely capable of creating tough levels that can be beaten with one really great run--my friend Cil streamed an Expert run on Twitch that had a bunch of donut blocks rolling down a track the whole level, and it looked like a really classic tough Mario level. But most of expert is just LOLWHOOPS I STACKED THREE BOWSERS IN FRONT OF A GOAL POLE AND THERE ARE THWOMPS AND FIREBALLS FLYING RIGHT AT YOU AT THE START THANKS FOR PLAYING. I wish there was a better way to curate Expert, but I can't figure out what it is absent just abusing the - button.

• Like 1

I would not b e surprised if in the future there is an ability to do a playlist type scenario. That would actually be great, because you could have situations where people could create a whole series of levels or make a playlist of a whole series of levels that people could beat.

I kind of dig the random "I have no idea what type of level I'm walking into" with the 100 Mario Challenge, but I think I'm going to want something a bit more curated down the line. The novelty wears off after a while.

• Like 1

100 Marios has also made me really loathe self-playing levels (which is why I made Mario's Epic Auto-Play Voyage).

EDIT: I'm working on a (somewhat easier & more fair) spiritual successor to Blathers vs. The Music Thieves. It centers around Blathers's fear of bugs in Animal Crossing.

Edited by Sousa

Honestly, all I play is my WiiU. There is a diverse live up of games. Splatoon, Smash Bros, Kart, 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, New Super Mario, Wonderful 101s, ZombiU, Donkey Kong. The amount of hours I've put into Splatoon is probably way too much. 

EDIT: I'm working on a (somewhat easier & more fair) spiritual successor to Blathers vs. The Music Thieves. It centers around Blathers's fear of bugs in Animal Crossing.

CQ9t119UYAA-aQM.jpg

Blathers vs. Entomophobia! This one's a lot easier than the other Blathers levels. It's the same basic principle (Blathers explores hidden temples and such) but I like it a lot better.

(especially now that it's not possible to bypass the whole damn level)