The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

21 hours ago, RPS said:

I don't know if I would recommend somebody to get the WiiU at this point. It's still pricey and there is literally no games coming out anymore. The only reason at this point to buy it would be to play the games with multi player components. Like once the Splatoon servers are off, that game is useless. Ditto for Mario Maker, to an extent. Are you dying to play Smash Bros or Mario Kart online? Probably buy it. Don't care about Splatoon or online play of Kart or Bros? Wait till later. 

I think the Wii U is great, but I agree completely with this.

On 5/21/2016 at 06:15, peteypirahna said:

I hope it's just a rumour, Nintendo using cartridges in the year 2016 (well 2017 and beyond) would just confirm just how hideously out of touch they are with the world.

Nintendo trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony confirms how hideously out of touch they are with the world.

If Nintendo went back to cartridges (and it's worth pointing out that doesn't mean lesser games, because there are ROM chips available that have a larger capacity than a blu-ray disc... and the rumor is that's what they ordered) they would be showing how in-touch they are. With all of the advancements in video game technology, one of the things I hear the most is about "the good old days".

Not that this is what's happening, but if ever a company stepped up and released a gaming console that played all of their old titles if you still had them... they would be laughing all the way to the bank. I had a customer explain to me that what he wants the NX to be, is a standard system for new Nintendo titles, with optional attachments that would allow you to play other Nintendo system games. So for instance, if you had a bunch of SNES games, you would buy the Super Nintendo attachment, attach it to your NX and be able to plug your SNES cartridges directly into it. I told him that I don't see it happening, but it's a cool dream to have... and it wouldn't be a bad idea for a company to do something like that. The eShop is fantastic, but anything that requires re-licensing is highly unlikely to ever be there. It's just too limiting, and in an age when a lot of Nintendo fans have multiple consoles hooked up in their homes to play games across the various eras, it would be an amazing way to both reward the die-hards that have stuck along with the brand, and to bring back those consumers who used to play Nintendo, but fell off the wagon.

People love retro. Not when it's forced on them, but when they can choose it. The NX should be a console that moves Nintendo forward into the future, while celebrating its history and giving their audience what they want.

It would also help if they actually release titles for the system on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 01:20, Mad Jack said:

People would only buy the NX for that retro gaming though, which in the long run just turns the NX into an expensive emulator.

Did people buy the Wii-U JUST to play Virtual Console games?

Providing choice never limits your demographic. Giving the option to buy new games or play older ones would only expand the audience for a new Nintendo system.

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

No one brought the Wii-U, full stop.

So, even if people only buy a new system to play retro games, it's still a better business model than putting out yet another console that innovates, but in the process, alienates a large portion of its potential demographic.

I've seen people come in to buy a console for their kids, set on Nintendo because of its name value and family friendly library of games... and then wind up buying Sony or Microsoft after finding out that they may need to have several different styled controllers for their Wii-U games, or that it only supports one tablet controller and they have multiple kids who would fight over it, or that the library of games isn't large enough.

They might as well play to a key demographic in the emerging retro-gaming scene, and rake in some easy money.

Super Metroid for less than £3 is an absolute steal, however I'm a little wary of buying anything from the eShop between now and the NX announcement, especially if there's zero cross compatibility.

In fact it reminds me a bit of the huge knock down sales that Sony and Microsoft did for the 360 and PS3 stores before the new consoles launched.

Granted, my backlog at this moment in time is so big that I could easily wait out the NX for another two years, but it's the whole "Why lock this purchase to a dying console when it's inevitably going to be released AGAIN on the NX"

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I joined the DS crowd. I got a 2DS, because $80 for that and Mario Kart 7(?) is too good to pass up.

I really like the 2DS, because I find the button placement is more natural for my hands than the 3DS is. I should probably pick one up again, as I'm finding I have more time to kill outside of the house now, and that's an easy way to do it. I just don't wanna buy a handheld when I know that I'll be dropping between $300 and $600 in March for the gorram NX.

• 2 weeks later...