The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I currently have my doubts here and there but at the same time a lot of the things that I'm reading about how easy the system is to port for and some of (but not all of) Nintendo's attitudes reforming around this launch have my hopes up that it's going to be a fun system to have in addition to my One. I'd still like to hear what's going to go on with the Virtual Console though.

23 hours ago, apsham said:

I currently have my doubts here and there but at the same time a lot of the things that I'm reading about how easy the system is to port for and some of (but not all of) Nintendo's attitudes reforming around this launch have my hopes up that it's going to be a fun system to have in addition to my One. I'd still like to hear what's going to go on with the Virtual Console though.

I feel like what I need to make the Switch an easy buy is - 1. Netflix ... 2. The ability to watch movies that I put onto an SD card... 3. The virtual console

I will have to fight the urge to buy one when all of that is there. We know Netflix isn't in at launch, but I can't see it not being added later. I haven't been able to find an answer about my second question anywhere, and I don't recall whether or not the virtual console will be available at launch.

1. Netflix isn't available at launch.
  2. I highly doubt you'll be able to put movies on the SD card, and even if you did, the 3 hour battery life wouldn't be that good for watching much.
  3. The VC is not available on launch.

I was very tempted to cancel my Wii U Zelda pre-order and get a Switch instead, but considering how it feels like a really bare bones console on launch I'm actually pretty worried the hardware may have been rushed too. By Christmas we should know how the console performs, it should have a decent games library and all the features missing on launch SHOULD be out.

It seems absurdly rushed, and some bizarre decisions at launch. I expect that, by Christmas, it will be cheaper and come bundled with 1-2-Switch, as should always have been the case.

I'm in two minds about whether I'll pick it up or not - I don't play games a huge amount at the moment, and mostly only stuff that I can pick up and play for ten minutes or so, rather than getting deeply invested in something - in that respect, the Switch is probably ideal, but given that I'll probably barely use it for local multiplayer and barely use it as a handheld, I'm not really in its main target audience, so I can't really justify the cost. I'm sure I'll end up buying it eventually, though.

That said, the Guardian's review of the new Zelda makes it sound amazing, so who knows?

Best theory that I've heard is that Nintendo learnt a lot from the release of the 3DS and is releasing now so that the price can be adjusted BEFORE the holiday season if it needs to be in order to have three periods where it'll sell heavily - launch, first price drop and then Christmas bundles.

Apparently it runs Zelda worse when docked and playing on a TV as opposed to just playing it on the go.  That seems...not good?

I've read wildly different perceptions of what the drops are like and that, if it's too noticeable for a player, they can switch it to 720p docked and not experience that. Most of the places that I trust (ie not Kotaku) have either shrugged or not mentioned the rate of drop so I'm still pretty positive - wasn't enough to drag down the perfect score from Famitsu.

Legit seen the new Zelda called "maybe the best game ever", which is insane. Ludicrously good reviews across the board. I can't really afford the Switch, and I was planning on waiting until closer to Christmas at the earliest to pick it up, but everything I hear about this game makes me more tempted.

I mean it has to at a certain point right?  You can't keep selling a several years old console for a higher price than your brand new one.

My worry is that given its poor sales, production was scaled back which means the price is always going to be kind of high on the second hand market.  Doubt we'll be seeing the $40 Gamecube deal that Gamestop ran a year after the Wii came out.

Hopefully, but for the past year or so their prices have been around the £229-£249 range depending on the game with it, and now the only bundle deals around is with Mario Kart which is at the top end of the scale. But if I recall I think the main issue with price is down to the cost of making it, I think they are already selling them below cost so any more off is losing money.

Eurgh, I was trying not to get hyped for Breath of the Wild. Now I really want it. At the same time I refuse to buy a Switch because Nintendo games to me are largely couch co-op games and I'm sick to death of needing loads of different controllers and some controllers offering an advantage (in some games). I don't mind buying 3 controllers, I'm not so excited when it ends up being 5-6 for the same amount of players.

Nobody seems to be reviewing the Wii U version or offering a proper comparison. I don't mind a bit of a graphics downgrade but I want to make sure it doesn't run like arse, look like a PS2 game or chugs. It also seems weird that apparently the sound is worse on the Wii U because I can't really see why that would be taxing on the hardware.

44 minutes ago, apsham said:

Only way to find a Wii U around here is used, they stopped production months back and no stores have an ounce of stock. Even the used ones are $220 dollars or so.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of how limited they were or how poorly the system had sold when I bought mine. I got my Wii U on Black Friday at Best Buy and the two that were left in stock were gone pretty soon after.

Will have to wait for a price drop on Zelda, but I'm also hoping the Wii U version isn't a huge downgrade from the Switch considering its been pretty much ignored.

46 minutes ago, Quom said:

Eurgh, I was trying not to get hyped for Breath of the Wild. Now I really want it. At the same time I refuse to buy a Switch because Nintendo games to me are largely couch co-op games and I'm sick to death of needing loads of different controllers and some controllers offering an advantage (in some games). I don't mind buying 3 controllers, I'm not so excited when it ends up being 5-6 for the same amount of players.

Nobody seems to be reviewing the Wii U version or offering a proper comparison. I don't mind a bit of a graphics downgrade but I want to make sure it doesn't run like arse, look like a PS2 game or chugs. It also seems weird that apparently the sound is worse on the Wii U because I can't really see why that would be taxing on the hardware.

I think you're safe for the most part, I've heard the only downgrade is visual in terms of raw graphics and colours. The Switch version is after all built off the base Wii U game that was started - which plays a hand in the minor framerate issues when a lot is going on for the Switch in docked mode.

This. Game. Is. Amazing.

I have zero complaints so far, zero. It's beautiful, it plays like a dream and I was freaking out over something every few moments. There's been a day one patch that has fixed any stuttering issues and a patch with the Switch itself that stopped any/all desyncing issues that had been reported about the Joycons. I've played both docked and handheld and this... is... it. Nintendo better not screw this up.