The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Breath of the Wild is wonderful. I've never cared for Zelda but this has real potential to be Game of the Generation so far. It's only competition for me is Bloodborne. Just really an incredible experience, just exploring the world is such a joy. It's like a whole new breed of open world. I've got it on Wii U and it runs fine, I'm a bit of an FPS nazi so the drops can be a bit of a bummer, but for the most part the experience far outweighs the issues. It's mostly bad when it's raining, you run into the odd drop otherwise but from seeing my friends Switch version, it doesn't look like it's much better on that either.

Starting to really sink my teeth into BOTW past  the starting area and it's starting to get really difficult, as in frustratingly difficult. I haven’t even got to a boss fight yet but already it's starting to sour and I'm getting into situations where I'm ragequitting from random encounters.

Everything else in the game is fantastic, the sense of discovery is great and it's just incredible to explore the whole land, but there's so many frustrating bullshit situations where I'm clearly not good enough to do them.

I get it, I need to 'git good' but already there's a sinking feeling that I'm going to hit a roadblock and suddenly a good portion of the game is totally blocked off to me. Luckily the game is completely open world so if the worst comes to the worst, I'm only really missing the Ganon fight at the end, and can still explore the whole of the game and have fun whacking baddies until the end of time.

But now I'm REALLY glad I didn't get a Switch for this.

6 hours ago, peteypirahna said:

Starting to really sink my teeth into BOTW past  the starting area and it's starting to get really difficult, as in frustratingly difficult. I haven’t even got to a boss fight yet but already it's starting to sour and I'm getting into situations where I'm ragequitting from random encounters.

Everything else in the game is fantastic, the sense of discovery is great and it's just incredible to explore the whole land, but there's so many frustrating bullshit situations where I'm clearly not good enough to do them.

I get it, I need to 'git good' but already there's a sinking feeling that I'm going to hit a roadblock and suddenly a good portion of the game is totally blocked off to me. Luckily the game is completely open world so if the worst comes to the worst, I'm only really missing the Ganon fight at the end, and can still explore the whole of the game and have fun whacking baddies until the end of time.

But now I'm REALLY glad I didn't get a Switch for this.

I mean, if you're clearly not good enough to do them and you don't outgear them, it's possible that content might be for later on?

• Like 1

And also strange considering you could walk into stores and find one.  Guess they learned their lesson from the Wii launch?

• Like 1

There's a lot of nitpicky stuff in that video along with people who aren't treating their shit right. Granted that any console is going to ship with some units that have day one issues.. I honestly think that people just need to be a bit more careful with their stuff. Although I will admit that the wrist strap addition to the joycon can be a pain in the ass to get off - you can without all that much effort even if you slip it on upside down.

Breath of the Wild is fucking great.  It's reminding me of my first time playing Oblivion, Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls.

• Like 2

Holy frame rate issues Batman. I was fighting an enemy near Death Mountain (Wii U version). The frames must have dipped below 5 for a solid 5-10 seconds, at one point it was under 1FPS because I thought the game had crashed.

I dunno how I feel about the game. For about 20 minutes I'll think it's the best thing I've ever seen or played, then for the next 20 minutes I'll be wandering around a vast empty wilderness wondering why my weapons need to break every single time I fight something.

Also anything that uses tilt controls can fuck right off. I have no idea if it's better on the Switch, but on the Wii U it's like they don't 'reset' after a fail, so rather quickly the way you're tilting has nothing to do with what's happening on screen and instead of being left/right/up/down the diagonals are in play. Plus if you're charging the controller and using headphones it isn't the most fun experience even when it is working as intended.

It can be worse on the Switch depending on how you're playing. I'm assuming it's properly done by having the controllers attached to the screen - but my girlfriend was playing with the joycons unattached and it was damn near impossible. I did it with the controllers in the grip and it was a bit better but I had to hold it at some really weird angles. At the  very least it taught me how easy it was to cheat a lot of the puzzles by doing quick flips of the maze puzzle ones. :P

I turned anything motion based off for aiming, etc.

2 hours ago, Apsham said:

It can be worse on the Switch depending on how you're playing. I'm assuming it's properly done by having the controllers attached to the screen - but my girlfriend was playing with the joycons unattached and it was damn near impossible. I did it with the controllers in the grip and it was a bit better but I had to hold it at some really weird angles. At the  very least it taught me how easy it was to cheat a lot of the puzzles by doing quick flips of the maze puzzle ones. :P

I turned anything motion based off for aiming, etc.

This is one where you need to light fires that get put out with water jets unless you tilt everything the right way, there's no cheesing it. Although I did end up youtubing it to make sure I wasn't an idiot and there wasn't more to it (there isn't). Speedrunners have worked out how to skip it with a well placed bomb jump thing which might actually be harder than the actual puzzle to execute. It took me like an hour to do it. It was easily the most frustrating thing I've encountered so far in the game since even when I did manage to finish it there was no sense of accomplishment or 'wow so that's how you do it'.

There's one that is annoying me right now with water spouts and having to use a blue flame to light braziers - the last one I did but it seems to only activate something in a timed fashion? I was only able to do it once before I ran out of arrows and stuff so I'll have to go back to that one. Not that I remember where it is at all.