The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Picked up ARMs after being on the fence about it before the test punch - really into it with both the joycon and the pro controller even though I wish I could get a second set of joycons - they're so expensive, especially in Canada and it can't be justified when player two can just use the pro controller I suppose.

I'm getting trounced online - there's a fair amount of learning your character and figuring out your strategy and then you have to apply it to different characters that you are fighting and holy crap some people are good. I found out you can unlock new arms via a mini-game, so you can get other fighters arms for yourself which means that you kind of have to learn what the individual arms themselves do as well.

What I kind of hate is that there are +damage versions of those arms that are allowed online - but I'm trying to get over the idea of winning being everything there anyways so I'm trying to let that go by the wayside. The party system is probably the best thing I've seen in terms of quick and go online play - absolutely flawless servers and load times as well.

I played with both the joycons and my pro controller and it's fun both ways - for sure more effective with the pro controller though.

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

The wife and kids got me a Switch for Father's Day. (H)

Just walked away from buying one earlier today. So tempting.

• Like 1

Full list of games

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania 4
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi's Island
Edited by TheWho87
  • Like 2

You know what's funny? Going to make this reply, I had an unused post of 'Scalpers, start your gouging!' that I didn't make back when Nintendo announced they were ceasing production of the NES Classic. I like to think that same sentiment still applies. :shifty:

The NES one I always had in my mind that I was going to get when the price dropped, obviously that never happened because reasons. This one I will probably jump in on from the off because same reasons and I actually have more of a sentimental attachment to the SNES. Arguably I don't have as much of a need of one because like half of these I have played (and still own) but there's a lot of stuff I haven't outside of dabbling in emulation in the early to mid 00's. (Just counted, I have 9. Pretty much 10, I don't have SFII Turbo but I do have Super SFII which is pretty much the same thing) Would have been nice if they'd double up on some of the franchises they have here like they did on the NES Classic, if only for them to add DKC 2 and 3 which I've never played.

My question would be, are they going to make just one model or are they going to do one closer to each region looks wise? Like, aside from the whole Mattell thing, the NES was still the same in the UK and the States look wise. SNES, not so much (shout out to coloured buttons).

That and I would wonder if they would fix the whole 'side loading' thing that led to people loading their NES Classics with hundreds of ROMS.

Is that Final Fantasy III as in the one known in the West as Final Fantasy VI? Also, if I may be an entitled sod for a moment, I'd have liked to see Super Tennis on there too. Oh, well. I still have my old SNES to play that on anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Jaffellis Joffer said:

My question would be, are they going to make just one model or are they going to do one closer to each region looks wise? Like, aside from the whole Mattell thing, the NES was still the same in the UK and the States look wise. SNES, not so much (shout out to coloured buttons).

eOxnEL5.jpg

Edited by TheWho87
  • Like 1