The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

This game got really hard suddenly! I found a tower but there are a bunch of laser shooting guys all over the place!

Haha! You found one of the places I went to directly first - yeah the middle of the map, the big open field - that's more of an end game area or at least when you have some decent grasp of the game and some armor built up.

And without the blood moon you'd be hard pressed to get more weapons and equipment - nothing respawns until then!

This game is crazy. I've literally spent the last half hour stuck at the mercy of a river because I jumped off a waterfall and don't have enough stamina to actually swim to shore. The weird thing is it's fun. I've been grabbing fish along the way and climbing onto rocks whenever I can. But I'm just letting the current take me and hoping I end up on land eventually. Normally I would hate shit like this but I feel like I'm on an adventure

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

This game is crazy. I've literally spent the last half hour stuck at the mercy of a river because I jumped off a waterfall and don't have enough stamina to actually swim to shore. The weird thing is it's fun. I've been grabbing fish along the way and climbing onto rocks whenever I can. But I'm just letting the current take me and hoping I end up on land eventually. Normally I would hate shit like this but I feel like I'm on an adventure

That's absolutely what I love about it - for me, the ultimate sign of good game design is if you enjoy the game even if you're bad at it, or even if you're stuck, or constantly dying. And BOTW is that through and through...oh, I got killed by a Guardian because I wandered into an area I really shouldn't be in yet? Silly me. Let's explore and see what else I can figure out. Fell off a cliff? Oops! Best try something else. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed doing nothing in a game, just wandering around and seeing what happened, so much. I've sunk tens of hours in, but still not really done anything.

I've put a good few hours into Breath of the Wild now, and I have to say that I'm getting a bit jaded. It's definitely a visually alluring game, and the sense of discovery is among the best I've ever seen. What's bothering me, though, are the weapon breakages and the fact that you can't climb when it's raining. I understand that breaking weapons might, on paper, encourage players not to stick to the same style of combat, but I've found that it actually puts me off using good weapons in case I need them for some ultra-hard fight that might never happen. The rain thing is just tedious.

I think what I'm finding is that Zelda games just might not be for me, and that really disappoints me. I could never push myself beyond a certain part of Ocarina of Time because I just wasn't having fun, mainly because I found the puzzles, while not necessarily difficult, to be laborious to get through, and I'm getting that feeling from the shrines in this game, albeit to a slightly lesser extent. I suppose I'm just not keen on puzzles in games that aren't specifically meant to be puzzle games, so, while something like Portal appeals to me, Zelda games don't.

It's genuinely depressing when you can't seem to get into a game that almost everyone else seems to love. It's not even as if I don't see why it's so appealing.

12 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

Well, why wouldn't it be? It's an emulator, it's not like they rebuilt the NES or SNES hardware.

I agree about climbing in the rain on Breath of the Wild, that's one of the only things that genuinely annoys me - I usually just fast-travel somewhere else. I got slightly jaded with it, until the DLC came along and added the map tracking thing that lets you see where you've been, and showed me how little of the map I'd already explored, and gave me the impetus to go and fill in the blanks, as well as looking for all the new armour etc., on top of shrines I'd not yet done, Korok seeds and everything else. I've still not fought a single Divine Beast, so there's plenty still to be done.

When it gets to a point where I'm stuck somewhere unable to climb, I tend to just fast-travel away from it and try again later. It's frustrating, but not game-breaking for me. The only thing I wish they could have changed was having a wider array of enemies - Mokoblins get pretty dull after the hundredth time. It's still super rewarding every time you manage to kill one of the giant things, though.