The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Ended up getting Smash for 3DS today (partly out of interest, partly due to being constantly bugged by a friend that I should get it). Only actually paid $9 since my friend gave me a $10 off any Gamestop purchase coupon and I traded Watch Dogs in, since I hadn't touched it in months probably. Thankfully, you can change the control setup completely. I changed the shoulder buttons to X and Y (since those are both jump, and using the shoulder buttons that much in a game is just awkward for me).

It seems pretty nice thus far; I played the demo enough where I feel like I could just pick this up every so often. I like the customization for every character thus far.

I'm still trying to find a good control set up for this. I'm trying to get used to using Y as the jump button, but I still just hit up on the circle pad too much. Pressing X+A to do grabs seems fine enough for me right now, but I may try using the right shoulder for that to see if I can handle extended play with my hand in that position.

Also, other than his side B that has made me just lunge off the stage to death on too many occasions, Little Mac is really fun to play as. Also enjoying Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pac-Man.

I switched Shield to X since my r button is broken and otherwise am just using the basic controls at present. My Smash skills have atrophied so fucking much, it's the worst.

I really wish I understood Smash Bros. I've never enjoyed it and I've never known anyone else who enjoyed it. But seeing how much people enjoy it always makes me think I'm missing something.

• Like 1

I really wish I understood Smash Bros. I've never enjoyed it and I've never known anyone else who enjoyed it. But seeing how much people enjoy it always makes me think I'm missing something.

It's a weird one. I'm in the same camp, I feel like if I could sit there with someone, watch them play for a bit and have them kind of explain what's going on, I might be able to get into it.

Looking at the greyed out options on the demo, is there no campaign mode or anything? Is this strictly a play against other people/bots kind of deal?

There's the normal Smash where you can play against up to three computers of a varying difficulty (1-9) or with people locally, you can do battles online, there's challenges you can do (at least 2 panels worth thus far, each with 35 challenges I think), there's a few mini games (one is like angry birds where you have to hit a bomb before it reaches 0 and explodes to destroy stuff, the old home run one, a trophy rush thing where you destroy blocks and can wager 6 gold coins to add an additional second to the time you're allotted (up to 2:30 I believe), and another minigame that I can't recall...

Then there's a Classic mode where you can choose a difficulty from 0.0 up to 9.0, with anything above I think 2.0 costing gold coins (the higher the difficult the better prizes you can get; it's basically five or six battles that you do, and your character runs along a pathway before each with you getting to choose which path you want to go down so that you get a different battle depending on the path. This is also where you can fight the Master Hand, or if the difficult is high enough Master and Crazy Hand at once). Then there is an All Star mode where you fight everyone on the roster in groups of generations or something (like, games that came out in 19XX-19XX and such).

The whole getting to customize actual characters with equipment and moves is pretty neat, even if the moves thing only has two other variations for the specials slots. Like I had mentioned, I was interested in the game but not sure about it, and a friend constantly badgering me about getting it. It's pretty fun thus far, though, even if I still suck at recovering to the stage and pulling off the move I want at rare times.

I just downloaded Smash for my 2DS (seriously, I can't actually believe I downloaded a SSB game onto a portable console in 30 minutes, this technology thing is crazy) and it looks fantastic. I was planning to only play it at lunch-times but the online features make it too good to ignore at home as well.

And Jesus Christ how can something on a portable console look better than stuff that was on the Wii? I always said I wouldn't get a Wii U but SSB Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and the Xenoblade sequel might change my mind.