The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

It depends on where you live, much like it does in any country. My area generally has very slow connection speeds, with what's commonly known as "superfast broadband" being an almost unheard of commodity here. I'm lucky if I get download speeds of 300kb/s, and at least one person I know still has dial-up. In areas in which it makes commercial sense for a provider to build a solid infrastructure, however, things are usually considerably faster, although it's far from a universal trend.

Also apparently Xenoblade Chronicles X, which looks massive. I'll believe it's coming in 2015 when I see it, but cool to have a rough idea.

Otherwise, Captain Toad looks fun. I never cared for the 3D Zelda titles, so I'm not bothered about Majoras Mask. I jumped in like halfway through, did they announce anything interesting before Capt. Toad?

Other highlights

• Duck Hunt coming to VC with Wiimote acting as gun, no prizes for guessing who just got announced in Smash
  • Some more info about Xenoblade X
  • Splatoon trailer
  • Shovel Knight and NES Remix are now available as of the end of the broadcast in the UK
  • Pikmin short movies coming out + Pikmin 3 demo is now available
  • Tons and tons of stuff about Amiibo DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfgsfIqkMbE

Here are the three "non-Mario" tracks from the first DLC set. All three have gimmicks. Hyrule has rupees instead of coins, the F-Zero course has no coins at all but has the "energy strips" from the games that do the same thing, and the Excitebike course (as I suspected) is different every time you run it.

I feel the same way about an individual Pikmin that I feel about Cuirassier #39 in Civ IV. YOU DIED SO THAT CUIRASSIER #13 COULD LIVE AND GET MOBILITY III.

Also if you're at all into Fantasy Life then you should get Origin Island because it's pretty rad.

Also Apsham we should play some online Fantasy Life at some point.

Bayonetta remains fun as hell. I haven't even gotten onto the much prettier Bayonetta 2 yet and I'd say this is my best game purchase this year... outside of maybe Wolfenstein.

Also started Mario 3D World with Mrs. TKz, which has been lovely. It's such a chill game to enjoy, but there's enough challenge to keep it interesting. I never really appreciated the Wii U in the early run (and I think it's fair to say it took a long time to bring out any titles worth investing in), but there's a nice, solid selection now. It's still a little thin on third party titles, but there's enough for me for now. Hopefully Xenoblade doesn't take too long to release and Captain Toad isn't too easy.

Aaaand I've now picked up Fantasy Life!

Mario Kart DLC is awesome. The only dud of the courses is the Ice Ice Outpost, which isn't terrible, it just lacks a gimmick that makes it stand out. I've played for a half hour online and the FZero and Excite Tracks are bonkers online. The Excite Bike one most of all because it is really a relatively flat course without a lot of turns. It's just a chaos of shells and Karts bumping into each other. The Dragon course is so beautiful.

If anybody is down for some Kart this afternoon, we should try and get an EWB match together at some point.

I'm down with that.

The problem with Ice Ice Outpost (and, to be honest, Yoshi Circuit, which has nothing going for it beyond "track shaped like Yoshi") is that it's sitting alongside six tracks that are totally incredible. Rainbow Road seems to be bigger (and therefore less claustrophobic) but it's still Rainbow Road. Wario's Gold Mine was the best track in Mario Kart Wii. And all four of the other new tracks are tremendous. The Master Cycle is probably my new favorite bike, which sucks because I suspect everyone is using Link now.

I'd still like to see them fix battle mode, but I never played it much anyway.

• Like 1