The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Okay guys.

I'm getting a 3DS for Christmas.

1) What Pokemon game do I get? (I've played the first three generations, but have never played anything DS or above). I was thinking X&Y, because while I know the remakes just came out, but I've played Ruby and Sapphire before and I wasn't a huge fan of the story.

2) What are some of the good DS games that I missed? I might pick up a few on Boxing Day if the price is right.

3) I've got 50$ Nintendo money. What is a good digital purchase for the 3DS?

I liked X and Y, but ORAS appear to have eleventy billion legendaries and Doctor Pikachu and other such cool shit, so I'm way more excited than that than I was for X and Y (which I got in kind of a perfunctory way because I wanted to play them with my oldest daughter). Then again, I think the plot in all Pokemon games is shit. I'm here for the fighting monsters.

What sort of games do you like? I'm always going to recommend Fire Emblem but it might not be for everyone.

I was going to pick up Fire Emblem. I just have no idea where to begin or where is a good entry point.

Honestly, I'm pretty open when it comes to genres of games. I've enjoy point and click games, RPGs, platformers, first person shooters... everything. I tend to prefer great gameplay over plot, but a select few games have won me over with their plot.

Bravely Default is a pretty cool JRPG if you're into them. It adds a lot of useful things to the grindy aspects of the genre to speed them up like crazy. There's a slider for random encounters so you can turn them up and level quicker, or just turn them off entirely for moving between areas and stuff. It feels a lot like a JRPG designed for those without the time to play one.

• Like 1

I refer you to a couple of my previous posts on the DS library, will have a lot of overlapping content in it but eh:

Read the posts in and around there too since they'll have other people recommending stuff.

Captain Toad looks fucking awesome. I remember the first time we got one of those levels in the Mario game, my girlfriend and I said Nintendo would be crazy not to release a full-featured Captain Toad game on the 3DS; never expected a proper WiiU game out of it. The trailers look glorious.

GOOD LET'S PLAY ONLINE

I don't get Pac-Man at all.

Also I totally get Pac-Man now, you've just got to abuse dashes and his forward-B rather than smash constantly (my usual strategy). You have to play Pac-Man like you would play, well, Pac-Man. :shifty:

Little Mac is far too fun to play as, he's got some blinding weaknesses that makes him awful to main but just pummeling the shit out of people feels much more satisfying than any FALCON PAUNCH!!!!~!!!

In fact why don't we have a Smash thread? It sounds like it'd be more active than the GTA V forum.

Edited by peteypirahna

I just got Fire Emblem, and I'm trying to avoid spoilers and advice. But I just got access to the bonus box, which has a bunch of new maps and stuff. Is it game breaking if I go through it now? I dont like feeling overpowered or over leveled.

Not really? Some of the items you get are really strong, but on the other hand they also have limited use just like anything else. You don't want to waste your Book of Naga on a bunch of mooks when you've got Walhart the Conqueror coming up later.

(yes there is a person named walhart in this game)

(no that's not really a spoiler)

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo Direct in about 20 minutes I do believe discussing Spring releases and likely the announcement of the New 3DS American and European launch dates expected for about this time next month.

I'm hoping for a Majora's Mask bundle - some are expecting that to be announced early as well.