The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

The game takes place in a steampunk fantasy version of London.[7] The main character is a man called Henry Fleming (based off the protagonist of the same name from the book The Red Badge of Courage); he is part of the elite fighting force "Unit S.T.E.A.M." (short for Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace), which was founded by a fictionalized version of Abraham Lincoln and tasked with defending Earth from an alien invasion.[7][9] Most of the playable members of the unit will be based on iconic fictional characters from American literature, such as the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz, Tom Sawyer from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and Scottish writer J. M. Barrie's Tiger Lily from Peter Pan.

y'all we need to have a serious talk about code name: s.t.e.a.m.

God dammit.

The Majora's Mask New 3DS got cancelled days before it was supposed to come out and I thought.. alright, that's okay then I kind of wanted the Red one anyways because I like the way that it looks better what with it wrapping all the way around the console.

But now I can't find it in ANY of the local stores and there is no way I'm trusting a delivery to my apartment not getting left, delivered to the wrong person or what have it.

Turrible.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a little repetitive, and the story is definitely CUTE if that's an issue, but I wouldn't per se call it "kiddy." I had fun with it, but I don't have a lot of desire to go back and do everything. It's not difficult at all, but there's a certain satisfaction that comes from gathering your own materials, crafting your own armor and weapons, and then taking all of that into battle.

I liked it alright, but the lack of challenge and direction led to me putting it down one day and never picking it back up again. I was kind of hoping for Ni no Kuni on 3DS and I'm not sure I really got a comparable experience, but it was still pretty good.

If you're looking for something casual to play whilst doing other stuff, it'd probably be perfect. But if you want something to really get your teeth into, you might want to look at something else.

So I heard they are going to announce a new Nintendo system already?

I know a code name for their next system just came out a day or two ago, but I don't think they'd be announcing another system. I'd say a brand new console is probably 5-6 years away.

If they announce a new system next year and release it the following year, which might still be a stretch, we'd still have been looking at a five-year cycle for the system. Given that the system hasn't been very successful commercially, that kind of time period wouldn't be at all outrageous, annoying as it might seem. I think it's a shame that the Wii U hasn't caught on as well as Nintendo had hoped, and I hope the Gamepad doesn't fall by the wayside on their next console, but I suppose there's a point at which you have to move on when things aren't going well.