The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Partners in Time is super fun... I still have Bowser's Inside Story sitting on my shelf though. Anyone have a verdict on Dream Team?

The ladyfriend loves it. Bowser's Inside Story was brilliant, also.

I'm hopeful the wife got it for me for the Holiday.

But that good, eh? The guy who did the review for Game Informer gave it his first perfect 10, but then there are a handful of contrarian reviewers really shitting on it, so I figured the answer was somewhere in the middle, but best 3DS game yet coming from you is a big endorsement.

I don't personally enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Fire Emblem, but I think it's the better game of the two.

EDIT:

Reading one of the contrarian reviews now...

Additionally, you were granted an item called the "Magic Mirror" that allowed you to instantly traverse between the two very early -- instead of relying on arbitrary cracks on the wall at obvious points.

is utter bullshit. Minor spoilers that you probably expect anyway:

His criticism of the "Dark World" portions are that you have to find a crack and go back through it, which he compares to Link to the Past... ignoring the fact that Link to the Past

only allowed you to enter the Dark World at arbitrary points that were all conveniently close to the next goal. The mirror didn't work in Hyrule.

So yeah, contrary for the sake of being contrary I think. The complaint about "no new items" is moot when you consider that you'll be using virtually all of the items in unique and interesting ways. Hell, the fact that it does away with a whole lot of arbitrary LINK PUSHES BOX AROUND puzzles is a major point of interest for me. The dungeons all feel fast-paced and fun; they'll feel short because you're not tediously moving shit around, and all of the solutions feel organic. They're the best Zelda dungeons probably since the original Link to the Past.

Oh, and he also criticizes the story. Yes, Zelda games and their gripping storytelling. The only Zelda story that was at all worth a damn was Wind Waker; everything else is "grab the three/seven/four/six things and rescue the princess!" If you're playing Zelda for the story then you're doing it wrong.

I think I'm just going to restart Fire Emblem on the mode that doesn't permanently kill characters. I think that's what's been keeping from getting back into it, is spending half an hour in battles only to lose a character I really like and exiting the game to redo the battle.

Should I have played any other Zelda games to get into the newer one(s)? I have the original and Link's Awakening DX from the virtual console on my 3DS. I really can't get into the first one because it just drops you in a world and all I know is I have to go to a bunch of dungeons and it just seems really boring and far too annoying to navigate.

I think I'm just going to restart Fire Emblem on the mode that doesn't permanently kill characters. I think that's what's been keeping from getting back into it, is spending half an hour in battles only to lose a character I really like and exiting the game to redo the battle.

Should I have played any other Zelda games to get into the newer one(s)? I have the original and Link's Awakening DX from the virtual console on my 3DS. I really can't get into the first one because it just drops you in a world and all I know is I have to go to a bunch of dungeons and it just seems really boring and far too annoying to navigate.

Doing this is such a double edged sword, though. It takes away the concerns you'll have and reduces the tension, but on the other hand, like you say, constant failure can be a real game killer. I played XCOM not on Iron Man because I figured I'd be more likely to never finish it otherwise, which is exactly what happened to a few friends of mine. They've never finished the game, but then again, they've got something like 100 hours of game time to my 20 out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtelgRzc3IU

I want to be excited about this, but I'm playing Link Between Worlds right now and it is just so freaking good and this is just. Eh.

If at some point we don't get a cameo by Lu Bu as he carves Link to tiny little Hyrulian pieces, I riot. :D:P

No, she had to wrap it. Because it came from Santa. Never mind the fact that the box says WALMART STORE PICKUP RESERVED FOR BILL BACONHILL on the side of it, oh no, that sticker was put there by elves.

UPDATE: The update got to 3 minutes left and then Rosey and Jamal burst through the front door and beat up my kids. :(

• Like 4