The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Yeah, there's way too much "play ten arbitrary seconds of Donkey Kong Jr." before you get to any of the more interesting "remix" stuff, which in itself isn't as adventurous as I'd have liked anyway. There was such an opportunity for that game to be utterly insane and a ton of fun, and it falls short of my expectations for that.

It doesn't help that a lot of Nintendo's "historical" games that they keep propping up are shit. Donkey Kong and Excitebike are nice and Wrecking Crew is kind of fun, but was anybody really pining for the second coming of Donkey Kong Jr., Urban Champion, and Balloon Fight?

Yeah, I don't know where their sudden fixation for Balloon Fight has come from, and that's coming from someone who actually quite likes the Balloon Fight game on Nintendoland. Donkey Kong Jr I'll accept out of pure nostalgia, as I actually had the Game & Watch verion.

I wonder if it's a testing the waters to see what people give a shit about, considering I never imagined there'd have been a market for a Kid Icarus sequel...

No excuses for Urban Champion, though. Urban Champion is a shitshow.

I suspect the Kid Icarus revival had more to do with Smash Bros. than anything, and in fact the company behind Smash Bros. was also behind Uprising (which I didn't really care for). For that reason I'd probably suspect that a new Ice Climber may be coming if anything would.

• 2 weeks later...

NES Remix 2 looks considerably better than NES Remix 1, and comes with an entire game of backwards Super Mario Bros.

I'm still uncertain about it, but it looks better than the first one, even if just for the choice of games.

2DS is £69 at Grainger Games, only in white though. Online certainly, maybe in store too? Not sure. Alternatively, Game normally runs some sort of 2DS + game for 99.99 thing, it was Pokemon the last time I checked. Plus the 2DS has the added benefit of coming with it's charger, unlike, I think, both the normal 3DS and the XL. They're like £5-10 so that's a little hidden cost if you don't go 2DS.

Of course, there's arguments to be made about the form factor of the 2DS, just how 'portable' that makes it and that it's battery isn't as good as the XL (but is better than the standard 3DS) but I suppose you have to ask if it's worth the £30-60 difference between the different models.

Well, the thing looks like a wedge of cheese so it's probably not going to be fitting in your pocket if you're taking it somewhere and you might be wanting a case/screen protectors because it doesn't close on itself like the others so there's potential for scratches and the like. That and I've never had any hands on with it so I've always been skeptical on how comfortable it'd be to hold, especially since it has something of a 'for kids' stigma to it, but I don't recall hearing any complaints from the people on here who bought one. Always worth trying one in store though to see how it feels in the hand.

The one thing is that I don't really commute/travel, so it would be a handheld to be used in bursts at home.

The back catalogue interests me - some really good potential games to get playing. The Vita has the same appeal, but is more expensive.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago where I was almost entirely dead set on the 2DS then dead set on the 3DS XL then ended up with a Vita. Ultimately I wanted something with the portability of the 3DS, the screen and battery life of the 3DS XL and the trigger buttons of the 2DS, but such a console really doesn't exist.

If you're not going to be taking it outside much, look for the one that you think will fit the most comfortable in your hands. Every console has it's positives and negatives and there's no clear winner at all so it's entirely down to personal preference.

But for sheer value you're probably not going to get a current gen handheld console + game sub £100 other than the 2DS for a very long time.

There's nothing wrong with the 2DS really - just grab a case for it for 10 dollars and you're good to take it around.

The only thing that sold me on the 3DS XL was the bigger screen really. That's just a thing that grabs me - and I was able to justify it more if it came with a bundled game as mine did.