The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

• Admin
On 11/03/2017 at 09:31, Quom said:

Holy frame rate issues Batman. I was fighting an enemy near Death Mountain (Wii U version). The frames must have dipped below 5 for a solid 5-10 seconds, at one point it was under 1FPS because I thought the game had crashed.

I dunno how I feel about the game. For about 20 minutes I'll think it's the best thing I've ever seen or played, then for the next 20 minutes I'll be wandering around a vast empty wilderness wondering why my weapons need to break every single time I fight something.

Yeah I'm experiencing really bad frame rate drops at times on the Wii U version, particularly in areas when there's a lot of enemies around the same location.

I can sympathise with your second paragraph. I had a few moments like this when I first started playing last Monday and over the few days after, and was actually asking myself if it was the type of Zelda game I wanted to play as unlike others I had no real issue with the sandbox style of the previous games. This game felt like it gave too little guidance and the weapon system had me scratching my head as to why such a drastic change would be necessary. Now however after putting in around 10 hours play I'm really starting to enjoy it, and after doing a few bits of the main quests I'm engaged with the story a bit more now too which was another stumbling block for me originally as I was questioning why I was even doing what I was doing.

The story really makes me feel like I'm in a proper fantasy novel - you do a little bit at the start and then you are set forth into the world with a single objective and you travel across a vast land finding a way to complete that objective. Epic is one of the only words I can think of that suits it properly.

Are 3DS and DS games region locked? I'm looking on ebay for a deal and I'm seeing this seller with japanese 3DS models going for 30-40 bucks and I'm wondering if that's why. His description only mentions that you'll need to know how to navigate the screens to turn the language to English.

22 minutes ago, Kirkland said:

Are 3DS and DS games region locked? I'm looking on ebay for a deal and I'm seeing this seller with japanese 3DS models going for 30-40 bucks and I'm wondering if that's why. His description only mentions that you'll need to know how to navigate the screens to turn the language to English.

DS games are completly region free, they added region locking to the 3DS.

• Like 1

Boo. The games I'm really wanting to play are region locked then. Guess I'll just keep putting aside money so I can get one that'll work for me from Amazon.

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Apsham said:

Here's hoping that they produce enough of the bastards.

I don't mind smaller runs for products like this, but it's imperative that they make it known ahead of time if that's the plan.

The major rumor that I've been hearing in regards to the NES Classic and the small amounts of them, is that there was a plan to continue production on the product, but when people started modding them to be able to run any NES game, the problem became that Nintendo didn't want to lose market. To me, that makes sense. Why would anybody buy an NES Classic Version 2 with 30 other games on it, when they can just modify the existing one to include them?

I feel like Nintendo can capture a cool retro market by putting out limited numbers of these special consoles once or twice a year. They can even "un-vault" high demand versions of these plug and play consoles for the holiday season every year in limited amounts so that people who missed out on one might still be able to grab it later, but Nintendo doesn't wind up with a bunch of units that are sitting on store shelves.

It's important to remember that launch edition Wii-U's were being sold as recently as 2016, and that Nintendo needed to learn from that mistake and not over-produce product again.

Smaller runs are fine and all - but when you are producing so few that you're actively creating a predatory market, that's something I have an issue with. Of course it's not their intention and Nintendo gets their money one way or another, but something that should've been a nice little throwback for an older game was turned into a money grubbing one-up - especially in smaller areas like mine where shipments came blind with no communication to the stores themselves.

1 hour ago, Apsham said:

Smaller runs are fine and all - but when you are producing so few that you're actively creating a predatory market, that's something I have an issue with. Of course it's not their intention and Nintendo gets their money one way or another, but something that should've been a nice little throwback for an older game was turned into a money grubbing one-up - especially in smaller areas like mine where shipments came blind with no communication to the stores themselves.

We received 13 at launch in my store, then received random shipments of between 1 and 3, every 2 to 4 weeks, until they announced that it had been discontinued. My final shipment was 3. In total, my store would have sold less than 40 since launch. So, I completely feel your frustration. From the business side of things, Nintendo screwed this one up real bad. I've been accused of lying to people, with-holding product, and being paid by Nintendo. Of course, none of that is true, but customers as a general group are usually pretty ignorant to how business actually works, and they needed a face to blame, so we're the ones they yell at.

As a consumer, it's also aggravating as all hell. I work in a video game store, and my wife still had to stand in line to get us an NES Classic. I hate that you have to do that. Realistically, the systems should have gone up for reservation as soon as companies knew how many they were getting. My hope as a consumer is that a SNES Classic, or NES Classic II, is launched with hard-set numbers for each retail outlet, so that they can be reserved ahead of time, and so that consumers know how many will be available.

Whatever happened with the Switch syncing problems? Did they  get resolved or just was not as big of a problem as it was thought to be at first. 

Were they ever reported in anything but Breath Of The Wild? Because that had a big patch a few weeks back, which seemed to fix some of the syncing problems with the last Joy-Con. I have since had the occasional problem where there's a lag between me moving the analog stick to change direction, and it actually registering in the game, so Link has a habit of running head-first into water. Though that may be just me being terrible at the game.

I don't play with the Joy-Cons disconnected nearly often enough to gauge the frequency of the problem, though I hope they have been fixed ahead of Mario Kart.

Makes sense - may as well get mileage out of the 3DS while they can, and they've been adamant that the Switch wasn't a replacement for it. I only have a 2DS, as I have no interest in the 3D feature, and the 2D model was so much cheaper - doing the same for the New 3DS, which I can't imagine has sold all that well, makes sense to me.