The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm Phoenix Wright! I shouldn't be whipped by the bloody prosecution.

And poor Udjey. He is an old man, he doesn't deserve it either.

1 minute ago, RPS said:

Do something naughty and lets find out. ;) 

( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉)

I've put together the equipment needed for a wired connection on the Switch. I can even still use it in handheld mode. First impressions are that it's much more reliable. Only one out of five Splatoon matches disconnected, and I don't think that was a fault on my end.

I played Mario Odyssey today. It's pretty fun. I'm not sure if I love the movement? It feels a bit like you can't run and jump to my satisfaction. I love all the weird ideas it has, and the hat feels really intuitive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Something I'm not sure about with Odyssey is the more open environments. I hope it doesn't lose the focus I enjoyed with Galaxy.

I played both New Donk City and the one that's like Dia De Los Muertos-themed. The former was very, very open-ended but the latter was comparatively focused and linear. So I think there'll be a bit of variety on that front.

Guys, I'm really really (REALLY) considering buying the Switch but we just had a baby boy and A) I don't think I'll have that much time to play and B) gotta save up that money for him in the future, right? Someone please talk me out of buying it? Or talk me INTO buying it? LOL I don't know. Reading all your comments makes me wanna buy it.

10 hours ago, michgcs said:

Guys, I'm really really (REALLY) considering buying the Switch but we just had a baby boy and A) I don't think I'll have that much time to play and B) gotta save up that money for him in the future, right? Someone please talk me out of buying it? Or talk me INTO buying it? LOL I don't know. Reading all your comments makes me wanna buy it.

Buy it. You can use it to bond with your new child. infants are actually quite good at playing Nintendo and it is good for their intellectual growth.

At least that is how you should try to bullshit your way into getting it :shifty: 

• Like 2

I don't think you can change the difficulty. Others will be able to tell you more, but I know there are a lot of enemies across the landscape that can dish out one-shot kills if you get too close.

I'm like you on this matter, I think. While I don't want to play something that just plays itself, I also don't have the motivation to plough through frustratingly hard games either.

• Like 1

I don't think that Zelda isn't doable by most anyone who has been a gamer. Once you get into the swing of the gameplay you should be fine - with the multitude of ways to solve some situations you might be doing something that you think is hard, but you didn't think to do it another way, etc - and actually beating the game consists of mostly just four boss battles and then choosing when to do the final one. Heck, you don't even really need to but each of the four that you do essentially lowers the life bar of the final battle by 1/8.

Mario and Rabbids absolutely gets super fuckin' hard though. But before the fights you can activate an Easy mode that heals your characters (usually you have to do fights 3 to 4 in a row, carrying over damage each time) and doubles their total health to make it a bit easier.

Zelda you absolutely have to get though - the open ended nature of it absolutely lets you learn everything that I mentioned earlier at your own pace. I still haven't finished it because I'm taking my time to go everywhere in the world and the sweeping visuals makes you feel like you're living a story without having a ton of narrative shoved in your face. I liken it to a novel - you know what you have to do within 1-2 hours of starting and from there it's up to you.

• Like 1

It sounds like a copout, but Breath of the Wild is what you want to make of it.  There are some rough sides of town when you start out, but once you get the hang of things, it becomes an outstanding game to just pick up for a bit, goof around, and put back down.  Alternately, there is nothing wrong with just going on a binge for hours on end.

Mario/Rabbids is not difficult in the slightest, though.  It's a far less threatening X-Com.