Sign in to follow this  
zero

Nintendo Megathread

I've got all the fruit, just waiting for a lot of it to grow so once it's ready I'm happy to trade and share :)

SW 0450 3778 1706 is my friend code if anyone wants to add me 

2 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

I've got all the fruit, just waiting for a lot of it to grow so once it's ready I'm happy to trade and share :)

SW 0450 3778 1706 is my friend code if anyone wants to add me 

You don't need to whisper.

Wait, surely Bravely Second was Bravely Default 2?!

4 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Wait, surely Bravely Second was Bravely Default 2?!

I think Bravely Second was the sequel to Bravely Default. Bravely Default 2 is a brand new story. I think?

I'm excited to see the Bioshock Collection and XCOM 2 come to Switch. Jedi Academy might be worth a look too if the port's decent.

So, because there was a cheapish digital copy going, I have Animal Crossing downloading right now. I blame the Twitter hype, even if the prospect of tarantula islands put me off slightly. Never played an AC before so this will be interesting!

Having said that, I do have a copy of Amiibo Festival because it was really cheap at one point. Does that get me anything here?

On 26/03/2020 at 16:59, King Ellis said:

So, because there was a cheapish digital copy going, I have Animal Crossing downloading right now. I blame the Twitter hype, even if the prospect of tarantula islands put me off slightly. Never played an AC before so this will be interesting!

Having said that, I do have a copy of Amiibo Festival because it was really cheap at one point. Does that get me anything here?

I got Amiibo Festival so I can confirm you can use the amiibos and the cards that came with it when you get the campsite, which will come right after you get the town hall in a few days. You can also use the amiibo stuff at Harv's to take pictures, and once you've scanned them you can buy posters with the characters to put in your house, even if the characters aren't in the game.

I have a stupid amount of AC amiibo because a Five Below near me had a huge stock of them for dirt cheap. So I've got Tom Nook, Kapp'n, Resetti, Isabelle, Digby, KK Slider, Reese, and Cyrus. Only three of these people are actually in New Horizons.

• Thanks 1

You know what's way nicer than tarantulas?

Sturgeons!

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the cutesy charm this game has, stuff like catching the bugs and what not. It'd be quite dry to just say "You caught a carp!" so it's nice they throw the puns in. The characters are very expressive as well which helps since everything is text based essentially since all the sound is gibberish. I say cute, it could very easily go too far and be very saccharine but so far it seems like there's enough to dial it back a bit. Like, Gulliver is very blase about the fact that he keeps waking up face down on a beach, as if it's happened so often that it's sort of lost all meaning at this point? Or Blathers, Blathers is really cool. He has a total geek chique thing going on with his bow tie and the patch on his belly that looks like a sweater vest. He's just really enthusiastic about the fossils and his weird tangents make me want to hear what he has to say about everything rather than just dump my inventory on him and run away. Like, I just handed in a Eusthenopteron fossil and he ended up pondering what life would be like if everyone lived under the sea. Really doesn't like bugs though, again that helps take the edge off that overly happy tone.

Looks really nice too, there's something very soothing just standing on the beach in the twilight, watching the waves lap the shore whilst my villager happily plays the Ocarina. I think I was a little worried about how grindy the game would be, it can feel a little like a glorified freemium game at times between collecting materials and the way it drip feeds content. But on the other hand, it does give you something to look forward to when you next load the game up to see how things have progressed. I mentioned Twitter the other day, it seemed like everyone being at roughly the same pace (unless you're a time traveller) enhanced this community feeling. Like, one example was someone mentioning the museum and how grand it was (totally right BTW, massive TARDIS situation going on there) and their friend was still a couple of days behind, only for them to come back after those two days and be like 'OMG'.

• Like 1

Several sources are reporting that Nintendo is planning to release remasters of several old Mario games this year. Venturebeat claims that this will include Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World, which will have new levels added. I'd be well up for all of that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Several sources are reporting that Nintendo is planning to release remasters of several old Mario games this year. Venturebeat claims that this will include Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World, which will have new levels added. I'd be well up for all of that.

I saw Galaxy had been reported somewhere else too. Really hope Sunshine does too! 

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Give us the original Mario Party 64, damn it!

If they release Mario 64 on the Switch, I'm totally getting that.

There are so many Nintendo 64 games that I would love to have again. I had a dozen or so on the Nintendo eShop for my Wii, but that's long gone now. I have a 64 console, but only a couple of games. And no tube TV.

smdh imagine paying a million bells for this princess garbage.

• Like 1

The fact that I'm wearing the crown and there's not a million bells in the cart means I bought it fuck you I'm a princess.

• Like 4

I've got a whole host of Jojo gear in town actually.

My wife is going crazy in lockdown here. I never have any issue keeping myself occupied, but I can see that the self-isolating is giving her a real hard time. I'm thinking about getting Animal Crossing for her, because she said she's interested in it and it seems like something that she can really get lost in.

Would I be incorrect in comparing it to The Sims, except... with more aim? She likes The Sims a lot, but finds that she'll play it heavy for a week and then get bored of it. I believe it's because there are no real goals to the game. I mean, I could be wrong entirely because I haven't played Sims myself, but it seems like she makes her family, builds her house, plays around in the world for awhile and then loses interest.

It seems to me like Animal Crossing has more of a Point A to Point B to Point C type of gameplay while still being very much an open world that you customize and play with. Is New Horizons something that I should invest in for her, or will she end up putting it away after a few days like she does with The Sims? I just don't want to drop $80 on a game that I myself have no intention of playing, if she isn't going to get lost in it.

17 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

I think, and I may be wrong, that it’s more Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon than the Sims.

I think that's a better comparison.