The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm not keen on Nintendo's marketing right now. They're touting the ability to play anyone anywhere in the world, including in co-op activities, as a smashing feature worth the admission fee when we could do that for free last week.

OK, I know they've got a product to sell, but it still feels cheeky. At the moment, I'm looking at either not paying and losing the ability to play Splatoon 2 online or paying and being able to play Splatoon 2 with a significantly depleted player base.

So I'm not opening it until my birthday cause it's supposed to be a self-birthday present but I got a Switch today. Also got Skyrim (because of course I did), Hyrule Warriors (because hack and slash arcade action seems like a good way for me to get used to the relatively small controls) and Bayo 2 (because dominatrix witches). Smash and Mario Kart 8 are on my immediate list but Skyrim aside I'll be limiting my library to things I can't get or can't play on my PC.

How good is the charge time for the dock? I know the internal battery is about ~3h, I'm talking how long it'll charge that when on the dock and otherwise idle.

• 2 weeks later...

So because GameStop had some thing, I bought a used Wii U, which was thankfully in good condition (I've heard the horror stories of used systems like that) and also weirdly had a copy of The Princess and the Frog: The Wii Game Y'Heard inside but I don't think the jostling hurts its ability to read discs.

Turns out it's a good system that turns extraordinary when, uhh, well you get not as legal with it, which I'm ok with knowing that it's not like Nintendo themselves will be printing any more games for it. It so obviously was a test for what Switch is now and I kinda feel bad that the ole thing didn't get to live with the insane software differentiation seen in this 18 months alone. Would put it squarely above the Vita TV in terms of flop hardware probably still worth getting on the cheap.

19 hours ago, ROC said:

So because GameStop had some thing, I bought a used Wii U, which was thankfully in good condition (I've heard the horror stories of used systems like that) and also weirdly had a copy of The Princess and the Frog: The Wii Game Y'Heard inside but I don't think the jostling hurts its ability to read discs.

Turns out it's a good system that turns extraordinary when, uhh, well you get not as legal with it, which I'm ok with knowing that it's not like Nintendo themselves will be printing any more games for it. It so obviously was a test for what Switch is now and I kinda feel bad that the ole thing didn't get to live with the insane software differentiation seen in this 18 months alone. Would put it squarely above the Vita TV in terms of flop hardware probably still worth getting on the cheap.

I loved my WiiU. Just needed more game support. The Switch had amazing indie support. That is what the WiiU needed.

Switch friend code: SW-7520-0845-4320

So first game I'm playing on the Switch is Hyrule Warriors. This is my first Warriors game and my first Zelda game in a long time pretty fun but I havent got the hang of it all yet. The confirm button being the one on the right instead of the bottom is going to take some getting used to.

20 hours ago, Spooky Scary Apsham said:

Online play is literally just "here's some of the mini-games, play them in an order without instructions" and it isn't even a full selection of the games, new ones rotate in weekly.

I wanna play the actual courses online, dammit! Guess we gotta wait for Mario Party 11/12/whatever for that! Game still looks fun, anyhow, and I might be weird, but I don't mind playing single-player against AI.

See I might have been interested in Mario Party if the full experience was online play but it's either the minigames or I play with bots and I'm like yeah I'll just watch MatPat lose to the bots on YouTube kthnx.

Also I love the music in Hyrule Warriors. I mean, I know it's all remixes of Zelda stuff and Zelda always had good music but the electric guitar heavy main theme is like the perfect "take on the whole world" anthem there.

EDIT- Also Tingle's in this isn't he? I hope he has a side arc like Linkle does. Speaking of Linkle, she's my favorite so far by miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying Adventure Mode of Hyrule Warriors and I love it... except the "Quiz" section.

My reax:

"Zelda trivia... well, hopefully it won't be too hard"

Question 1: Attack the enemy with a wooden shield

"Uh one that's not a question, two what the shit is this shit."

13 hours ago, iDOL said:

Super Mario Party is a lot of fun, love the streamlined interface too. This will definitely kill mine and the wife’s free time for a bit.

Played a quick round this morning. I was worried 10 turns wouldn't be enough.... but in 10 turns, about 11 stars were gathered (Daisy somehow lucked out and got two stars on the exact same turn)

• Like 2

I definitely miss being able to play games longer than 20 turns, which is the new maximum, because I feel like there is more strategy involved when the game is longer, but it has not affected my enjoyment of Mario Party. I'm still hoping they announce DLC boards to add on to the four in game boards though, to help extend the life of the game.