The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Been a while since I played Smash, man I'm rusty.

Jigglypuff still sucks I see.

57 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Been a while since I played Smash, man I'm rusty.

Jigglypuff still sucks I see.

take it back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RPS said:

take it back.

I mean as a Smash fighter, not as a character. Jigglypuff's great a character. In Smash, I'd actually rank Puff below Pichu.

19 minutes ago, RPS said:

I main Jiggly. I think he is great! 

I might just be bad with Puff. But again, rusty. I also jumped headlong into World of Light and using people as I unlock them. Lucario was great. Link is my current character and he's pretty good too.

15 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Jigglypuff is great because of Rollout.

See, Rollout doesn't seem that great to me. Maybe cause a lot of the levels in the World of Light end up lacking in places with lots of room to move and trying to time my release ends up backfiring. Prefer Yoshi's Egg Roll attack instead. Never managed to get much use of Sing let alone Rest and Pound lacks the range to be viable. Yoshi is pretty much better at everything Puff can do except recovery, and Yoshi's recovery is still pretty good with the triple jump and all.

7 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

See, Rollout doesn't seem that great to me. Maybe cause a lot of the levels in the World of Light end up lacking in places with lots of room to move and trying to time my release ends up backfiring. Prefer Yoshi's Egg Roll attack instead. Never managed to get much use of Sing let alone Rest and Pound lacks the range to be viable. Yoshi is pretty much better at everything Puff can do except recovery, and Yoshi's recovery is still pretty good with the triple jump and all.

Jigglypuff is definitely a character that is not great when you first play, but if you get the knack of Pound and Rollout, he is great. Sing and Rest are also very good. 

Smash is great.
I, on the other hand, am terrible. I think I'm most of the way through the story mode now? I can't really tell? But I've sunk something like 13 hours into already and unlocked most of the roster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ruki said:

How does the roster unlock work?

A new challenger appears after every 10 minutes of in-match/game time (not just on the main menus or anything, but actually in battles and whatnot). You can also unlock characters by freeing their spirits (i.e. defeating them in a battle) in the story mode.

• Like 1

There are a lot of challenges in World of Light that are frustrating as hell.

For example, the one where you're fighting 1-on-2, and they have this assist character with absurd knockback and damage, and the only items is this Galaga boss thing that straight up KOs you if you get hit with it and have more than 40% damage. I can get one to die by the Galaga Boss, but then get knockback juggled to death by the assist guy while the other grabs a Galaga Boss that seems to home in on me.

I am also aboard the “smash is amazing” train.

I haven’t delved into World of Light that much. It doesn’t really appeal to me. I’ve been liking Adventure mode and the various challenges it throws at you, and some of the end bosses were surprising. I also like that you can unlock characters just by playing the game and not needing to fulfill a certain condition (for most of them).

The only annoying thing is that they seem to increase the difficulty to stupid levels when you’re trying to unlock someone. I fought Pit 7 times before I unlocked him.

Anyone else having trouble with the Smash update? Every time I try, it just says paused and won’t progress. I’ve tried restarting twice, completely powered off, manually closed out of the game, restarted my internet - nothing is working

edit: turns out Fort Night and Rocket League decided to auto update first

havent checked the main stage list yet but it seems like half the time World of Light chooses stages (or maybe stage variants) that are four platforms with no hazards. These are my least favorite brand of stage. Much rather have something like Shadow Moses or (and I don't know if this is even in) Hyrule in Melee.

Also both times I've been in SilphCo so far I won by SUDDENLY ELECTRODE