The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

On 29/11/2018 at 20:16, King Père Noëllis said:

I will add my friend code or whatever once I get everything updated and linked to my account. Need to try and remember my details, setup them up years ago on the 3DS and it's just stayed logged in ever since.

Hearing the little 'click' is oddly satisfying when connecting the Joycons!

EDIT: Friend code is SW-7299-5659-0193

I'll add you later today Ellis!

Anyway, bought Super Smash! and Mario Party.

• Like 1

Pit has killed me both times he's come up to unlock him, because the Sky stage is the worst.

Also, it feels like Marth got buffed a lot this time around, but I can't work out exactly why. I always used to prefer Roy, and granted I've not unlocked him yet, but Marth is probably my main right now (although I'm switching up throughout WoL).

Yeah, unlocking Pit was a pain. I struggled beating King Dedede and Wolf as well. A couple of them I ended up freeing in World of Light before I had to chance to beat them in the challenger's approach, and that takes a lot longer to do for most of the roster, but it's a lot easier because you can just field your most powerful team and have infinite attempts instead of having to wait 10 minutes to retry (I think that's when the option reappears) if you lose.

10 minutes ago, Owen said:

Yeah, unlocking Pit was a pain. I struggled beating King Dedede and Wolf as well. A couple of them I ended up freeing in World of Light before I had to chance to beat them in the challenger's approach, and that takes a lot longer to do for most of the roster, but it's a lot easier because you can just field your most powerful team and have infinite attempts instead of having to wait 10 minutes to retry (I think that's when the option reappears) if you lose.

There's a whole mode under the games section to retry fighters that you failed to get. It disappears after a bit, but comes back again. It's the little door in the bottom right - only there if it's open.

1 minute ago, apsham said:

There's a whole mode under the games section to retry fighters that you failed to get. It disappears after a bit, but comes back again. It's the little door in the bottom right - only there if it's open.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The option for that seemed to appear after about ten minutes of game time later, if you lost to them.

Oh yeah, but I've had it where I've only had one challenger that I lost to, and the door wouldn't come up for a while. I tended to avoid letting them stack up because I wanted to get them all as soon as possible :P

Being in battles in World of Light counts toward the in-game clock as well, I found, but only registers after you quit out that game mode entirely for the new challengers appearing. They don't stack either, so you can play for an hour and only get one challenger approaching if you're not careful!! Probably best to quit out on occasion while playing the World of Light mode in order to maximise challengers if you're mainly playing it to unlock all fighters, like me.

Some of my Smash thoughts:

* Daisy > Peach, she's a lot of fun to use and I really dig the timing on some of her moves (like her side special)
* Dark Samus >>>>>>>>>>> Regular Samus and I can't figure out why I feel this way, I don't want to say it's because its animations are smoother than hers but ????????
* Ice Climbers, Wolf, Captain Falcon, and Donkey Kong all feel like they got nerfed. That's like half my mains. Yikes.
* The Belmonts are so much fun to use. I think Simon is the one I prefer but, again, can't figure out why.
* People are apparently doing super cheesy things with Ken that I can't ever hope to figure out.
* Snake is soooooooooo good I'm so glad he's back like god damn
* INCINEROOOOOOOOOOOOOAR! I'm not even that good with him but god just bouncing people off of ghost ropes and backdropping them into Heaven is The Good Shit.

• Like 1

Does anyone have an online family plan ongoing or we could maybe set one up and all chip in? Or am I understanding that wrong? Would it work cross region? Is it meant more like 8 individual accounts on the system rather than something that would work remotely?

I dunno if/when I'd have any online stuff but even the NES stuff would be worth the pennies it would work out to if 8 people chipped in.

So I finished World of Light

Spoiler

...and it's just PART ONE of the adventure.

Also: Isabelle is effin LETHAL. Her fishing pole is deadly.

Also decided to make a Mii Gunner when I unlocked one in WoL... ended up making Kokonoe from BlazBlue.

Isabelle and that damn fishing pole. The only thing is if she misses she's wide open for attacking for a bit.

I've become obsessed with getting new spirits from the spirit board, more than doing anything else in the game. I'm still sticking to playing as DK like I have in previous games, apparently I hate change.

I was reading more on this.... apparently there's like a tag mode (people choose 5 fighters and have a Survivor Series type fight?!) which sounds exciting. I feel like I'm gonna pick this up after Christmas and bring it with me to Mexico :shifty:

54 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I was reading more on this.... apparently there's like a tag mode (people choose 5 fighters and have a Survivor Series type fight?!) which sounds exciting. I feel like I'm gonna pick this up after Christmas and bring it with me to Mexico :shifty:

Basically, yeah. You can do 5 vs 5 or 3 vs 3 and each team member takes on a member of the opposing team in 1 vs 1 battles, and it's winner stays on. You can do it so you have team mate 1 vs opposing team mate 1, team mate 2 vs opposing team mate 2, and so on, or you can have a winner stays on system.

8 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Isabelle and that damn fishing pole. The only thing is if she misses she's wide open for attacking for a bit.

Unless she reels in after the miss and grabs the target anyway. Like I said, she's absolutely lethal. I don't want to say she's the best in the game but... that fishing pole is pretty much the best mid-range attack I've seen by far. And her recovery is up there with Kirby's. Her average speed and lack of long-range options will probably keep her from being considered S-tier but IMO she's a major threat to anyone.

Ended up picking up a Switch last night and initially my wife wasn't super gung-ho about it. As I went to make the purchase, she started getting into it more, which was exciting.

We played a little bit last night, she unlocked Ness, failed to unlock Zelda, and we had fun. It was a good time.

• Like 1