The Anime Thread

Ruki

So apparently in the new DBZ movie there will be a new Super Saiyan form called a Super Saiyan God which is the last transformation of a Super Saiyan. That pretty much says that Akira Toriyama is ignoring GT and Super Saiyan 4.

... someone wasn't happy with the result of the Goku v. Superman DeathBattle :shifty:

They're still making Dragonball Z films!?

EDIT: Hahahahaha oh my god

As if the biggest bad in the universe looking like he was made of pink bubblegum wasn't stupid enough, the god of destruction is apparently a rabbit.

• Like 1

I am finally procuring Mirai Nikki.

The saddest thing about tonight though, is I spent a good 2 hours trying to find some recent anime that interests me, and it all looks like a big pile of shite. This saddens me greatly.

Trust me, this isn't really the case. Plenty of it is shit, some looks like shit but is actually really well made, and in the last 2-3 years there have probably been 10-12 must-see series that have come out.

What's gooooood?

Mirai Nikki could be okay, but it sounds like they took Death Note and Battle Royal, and combined the whole thing into one big mess.

I saw One Piece was the current big thing, and that looks terrible.

Everything I have looked up either falls into the "absurd Japanese anime madness of nothingness" (like Excel Saga) or it goes super duper drama, oooooorrrrrr, it goes incredibly sci-fi/fantasy.

To be honest, I am a grumpy animator these days. Even anime I watched years ago and enjoyed I can't even tolerate these days. I haven't even watched Arrietty yet.

Uchuu Kyoudai, Kokoro Connect, Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass, Madoka★Magica, Sakamichi no Apollon, Angel Beats!, and Mirai Nikki are all shows in this decade I've really enjoyed. Some are currently airing so that's always an added bonus getting to watch it as it runs, but I'd recommend all of them to anyone looking for a good anime. Lot of diversity in the genres of them too, which is nice since it used to be for awhile the only really strong anime being produced were nichijou, and it did turn a lot of people off obviously. In the past few years a lot of genres have had landmark shows, for example Madoka might seem like a magical girl show but it is actually a total mindfuck that is flawlessly done and happens to star magical girls.

The worst thing to do with anime is base it off the descriptions, they're all poorly done. And One Piece is the big thing? Since when? I know due to its long run it has a big following, but that's in the same vein as Bleach, Naruto, and such where people watch that show and nothing else.

Yeah! Kokoro Connect is fantastic.

And if you want some older stuff, definitely Code Geass or Gurren Lagaan. Or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

As for my weekly watching of Robotics;Note...starts off slow, ends big...AGAIN.

They're still making Dragonball Z films!?

EDIT: Hahahahaha oh my god

As if the biggest bad in the universe looking like he was made of pink bubblegum wasn't stupid enough, the god of destruction is apparently a rabbit.

He's a cat and non-fat Majin Buu was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondq9zKummI

He's Egyptian themed so it kinda makes sense to be a cat. Why they didn't go with a Jackal is beyond me though.

I think the best two anime I've seen in the past year have been Mirai Nikki and Steins;Gate.

This :shifty:

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is also good. Generally, avoid that stuff that has the 100+ eoisodes and you will be good. I will also say that Bakuman is pretty good as well.

Just started watching Mirai Nikki, and whilst I will continue watching, I must point out that the production levels are fucking horrible.

It annoys me.

Okay...how are they horrible?

• Like 1

Last Exile is pretty good, it was a visual marvel when it came out but nowadays it's not as breathtaking.

Mirai Nikki's animation was poor in a lot of places, it's really its only discernible flaw. But in a lot of places it is glaring, especially when characters are running. In 1080p it didn't look bad though, which is why I'm glad I switched to watching it in that format.

• Like 1

Was gonna say, I found no issues with it with the streaming site Lorina and I used back when we started the series up (I... think, it was WatchAnimeOn? Not certain). Re-watching it on Hulu, still no issues either.

And yes, Lukie, it gets better.