The Anime Thread

Ruki

Attack On Titan! Then I have someone to watch it with, and someone to remind me to actually watch the newest episodes. I think I might be an episode behind right now.

Also, watched the first few episodes of Deadman Wonderland on Friday. Didn't realize it was a dub, so that threw me for a bit of a loop. An interesting concept, and relatively short at 12 episodes.

There are a lot of people on MAL who think after episode 5 Attack on Titan has lost all its potential and is "just like SAO".

I'll check it out but if it turns into another typical shounen like SAO did then I'm fucking out. Not wasting time on anything like that again. I hope these people on MAL are a vocal minority.

• Like 1

There are a lot of people on MAL who think after episode 5 Attack on Titan has lost all its potential and is "just like SAO".

I'll check it out but if it turns into another typical shounen like SAO did then I'm fucking out. Not wasting time on anything like that again. I hope these people on MAL are a vocal minority.

Wait, what? No! Don't say that! :crying:

I was ok with the first 3-4 episodes....(EP 1: setting up the world/tragedy, EP 2: Seeing the after effects, EP 3: Military training, EP 4: Military graduation + OH SHIT ending)....everything has been a lead up to, hopefully, a continuing story arc (unlike SAO).

It's definitely a see for ourselves deal. I avoided spoilers but I don't think it's the story arc problem based on what was being said. Of course, when someone says "It's the same problem there was with SAO!" I have to ask "which one?" But I'm afraid of spoilers so obviously I'm not checking out what's in the tags on MAL as of yet.

Yeah I'm gonna watch it this weekend and hope for the best. I have an idea where the complaint comes from based on what has been spoiled and while that did suck in SAO it wouldn't have ruined the series had it been the only problem.

Apparently the Titans are super OP at the beginning and quickly thereafter in the manga, and apparently the anime, the characters are able to match up to them. A big problem I had in SAO was how Kirito was never in danger because of how strong he quickly made himself. That's the similar problem here, and in so many other anime. Take it for what you will.

I highly recommend Suisei no Gargantia. It's a really fun show with good pacing. Basically a space pilot gets sucked through a wormhole to the wrong coordinates and winds up on a planet completely unlike anything he knows. It's also a Gen Urobuchi script, yet so far nobody has died and we're halfway through. Given his track record with Madoka and Pscyho-Pass he should have killed off half the mains so far. Such a departure for him, but he is a great script writer as shown here. I'd say it's close to Attack on Titan in terms of my favorite shows I've checked out this season.

Attack on Titan 6

Well this is a really big thing to thrown in, I can understand the complaints. Eren should be dead, there's no way he can survive, but I'm pretty sure Mikasa is gonna find a way to rescue him. Why else have the show if not for the Eren/Mikasa bond?

Yeah, he should be like....mega-dead. But, other than that, it's been good. I am guessing his father did something to him (was he having flashbacks or dreams?) to make him super resilient to having his arm/leg bitten off, and then swallowed

Attack on Titan 6

Well this is a really big thing to thrown in, I can understand the complaints. Eren should be dead, there's no way he can survive, but I'm pretty sure Mikasa is gonna find a way to rescue him. Why else have the show if not for the Eren/Mikasa bond?

Yeah, he should be like....mega-dead. But, other than that, it's been good. I am guessing his father did something to him (was he having flashbacks or dreams?) to make him super resilient to having his arm/leg bitten off, and then swallowed

Well he hasn't gotten back to his home to see what his dad had been keeping in the basement. But I don't know, I'm pretty sure those were flashbacks to his dad just going insane upon finding out his wife was dead. I'm sure more will be explained. My expectation is for Mikasa to find the titan that ate him and get him out before he's digested or something. This is kind of a ridiculous twist I have to say, I can understand the complaints.

So I've seen about 20 minutes total of Trigun so far and I just can't take it. Lots of melodrama, humor that's far too cute and silly, every character seeming like a child. No chance I'm going back to that one. Also gave Gundam 00 a chance, but as soon as they started long, super serious rants about destiny, legacy, evolution, and vengeance, I just had to say no, no, no.

Does anybody know of any other anime series I might like? The shows I do like are Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam (first series, though also 08th MS Team somewhat), and Dragon Ball. I really can't handle the general silly humor style in anime--I keep wanting to call it "kawaii" though I'm not sure if it's appropriate, but hopefully you understand--or long and involved expository rants, and generally, most series I've seen do one or both of these a lot. I can handle it a bit more in Dragon Ball, but that is a kids' show starring kids, so either it's well done or I just let it go because of that. And anyway, Dragon Ball isn't nearly one of the worst perpetrators, it's actually fairly restrained and relies a bit more on wit.

Ruki is fat, he knows his anime better than a slimmer person. It's science. So take his advice as gospel KONG.

Also, Valvrave is such an absurd campy clusterfuck of a show that I cannot look away. My god, I don't know if they're trying to be funny or not but holy shit I am addicted. It's like Plan 9 of anime.

Hataraku Maou-sama! has managed to establish itself as the Kokoro Connect of this season in my eyes. The serious drama isn't as serious since it's much more fantasy/supernatural at heart but the comedy is fantastic. The most recent episode, ep. 7, had me laughing out loud and pausing the show so I didn't miss anything 3 times.

B5YlTUBl.jpg

Chi-chan for best character of 2013!!

I still need to watch this week's episode; while this season's anime is nothing I'd call groundbreaking, that doesn't mean it's not entertaining. So far, I'm watching...

Hayoire! Nyarko-san W

Oreimo season 2

Aku no Hana

Hataraku Maou-sama

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko (The Pervert Prince and the Stony Cat)

Date A Live

Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku

So yeah, seven shows, which has to be a record thus far as far as following shows in a single season.

Summer looks to be decent, with a new Fate series and a couple other shows. Nothing so much on the Fall shows yet.

I'm watching...

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge (average with crazy fetishes)

Hataraku Maou-sama! (Funny)

Suisei no Gargantia (Entertaining)

Attack on Titan (So far so good, but it is walking the thin line between SAO and good right now)

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (Funny)

Kakumeiki Valvrave (Ironically funny)

I might pick up Date a Live, is it worth my time? Any other shows you'd recommend Mick?