Sign in to follow this  
Ruki

The Anime Thread

41 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

We got crunchyroll because Joey used to be really into anime.  So far I love Yuri on Ice and Recovery of an MMO Junkie.  What else y'all recommend?  Especially along those lines, I don't really care for actiony things.

Food Wars.

• Like 1

LittleDaniel    6,358
1 hour ago, WOKEN Cloudy said:

Food Wars.

That was one I meant to check out after a friend recommended it, now I'll put it on the top of the list!

LittleDaniel    6,358

meh like a minute in and it's probably too fan servicey for me

Lars Kuyt    1,493

I'm two thirds into my Dragon Ball watch and Krillin looks great against Goku at the tournament. Really enjoying this arc!

Also, that last Super episode was like amazing! I also read a theory on the Dragon Ball Reddit:

A huge post and along the lines it is said that Jiren is looking for fighters to take on the Angels and Gods. If that theory is anywhere near what is gonna happen it can be an epic storyline

Hellraiser    522

Why the hell was there never a 2nd season of The Devil is a parttimer? So much wasted potential.

Edited by Hellraiser

=BK=    9,775

Evangelion musings. Manga and anime. Spoilers duh.

Shinji and Asuka are the last two people that should have ever met. They're completely incapable of having any kind of relationship even though it's clear they come to like each other on some level.

Shinji is desperate to be loved deeply by somebody. The only people he's ever truly loved were his parents and one of them is "dead" and the other completely abandoned him to strangers. The people that raised him were nice but they didn't love him. As a result he thinks giving his love will hurt him so while he wants it, he can't give it. He's a coward but it's understandable why.

Asuka is in dire need of someone to love her as a person and put her first in their life. She never met her father because he was a sperm donor and she was only born to show up her mother's rival that stole her love and had a plain daughter with him. When her mother loses part of herself Asuka feels completely alone and builds up her shell to be strong and tough so no one can ever hurt her again.

In a typical anime they could magically fall in love and fix each other but in Eva their problems are such that they can't help each other, only hurt one another when they try.

Asuka needs someone to break her shell and care for her and Shinji needs someone to love him but Shinji's timid nature keeps him from breaking through and that only serves to make Asuka angry because she gives him chances to flirt and be more. Showing off her body to him at the pool, the kiss challenge and lying with him in bed. When she later sees Shinji in her mind after all this stuff these are her thoughts:

Why are you there?! You won't do anything! You never help me! You won't even hold me!

That specifically reminds me of her getting into his bedding. After she falls asleep and mutters for her mom, a sign she clearly needs comfort, Shinji won't even put his arm over her, he just moves completely to the other side of the room and leaves her alone.

Later during instumentality in the kitchen it's pointed out that Shinji doesn't really care for Asuka because she's Asuka. He just wants her to care about him to fill his void. She could be anyone. He's selfish in a way expecting from her what he can't or won't give back. It's why he got on with Kaworu better despite being straight. Kaworu's love isn't hard earned like Asuka's, it's unconditional and given freely for none from Shinji.

Neither of them are bad in this situation. Shinji is afraid of Asuka and as much as that sucks for her it's not without reason. She's abrasive and mean a lot. Can you blame a broken 14 year old boy for being severely intimidated by an attractive girl who's partly a bully? He'd have a hard enough time if she were a total sweetheart. You can't really blame her though because her wall is there for a really good reason and she gives Shinji easy chances to breach it but he just sits on his hands and does nothing to help her.

After Shinji and Asuka emerge from the sea of LCL alone Shinji goes back to trying to choke her like he did in the kitchen when she completely rejected him. She touches him to show that something is different now. I don't know if you can say she understands him now because she clearly didn't in instumentality but there is a change because for once in that moment Asuka is tender and kind to him. These two broken people were the only two so shut off that they rejected universal oneness of humanity and they are wholly incompatible and unable to live together happily . Asuka is disgusted at everyone besides them for staying together. Asuka and Shinji are together but they're still alone.

I find myself being able to relate to Shinji a little. I've talked about my "Dream girl" on this board before. The one I knew since 13 and had a major chance with that married the guy she got with after. My key point in those postings was that I was a coward that couldn't make a real move or make something official even though she gave me chance after chance. I was so close to what I wanted more than anything and what I still find myself wanting sometimes and I couldn't do what I needed to to have it.

You know who I feel real bad for? Misato. She's Shinji's stand in mother and she's great at it. Shinji isn't just a job to her, she wants him to be happy and loved and she makes great progress until things go bad. I think it's all after Kaji dies. She seems to lose her confidence in her ability to care for Shinji and falls onto her own personal crutch of using sex to connect and motivate.  The world beat her and Shinji to the point that her motherly efforts weren't enough. It's even worse in the manga because we get shown what Shinji really feels for Misato earlier. When Shinji gets absorbed by Unit 01 and becomes afraid of what the melding of the Eva's mind and his mother's soul has created he screams for his mother and out of the thing to grab him and pull him back to reality isn't a form of Yui or even Rei, it's of Misato. She was a great woman who did her damndest to love and fix this little boy and the word crapped on her efforts and the both of them.

Hellraiser    522

Haven't watched Evangelion in ages. I remember being confused and a bit disappointed by the final episode and really bummed out by End Of Evangelion after seeking the movie out for clarification. Then years later I saw the Fokding Ideas video on End Of Evangelion and it made me appreciate the movie a lot more. Not enough to make me ever want to watch it again. But I get it.

Here is the video in question. SPOILERS for End Of Evangelion obviously.

Spoiler

=BK=    9,775
11 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Haven't watched Evangelion in ages. I remember being confused and a bit disappointed by the final episode and really bummed out by End Of Evangelion after seeking the movie out for clarification. Then years later I saw the Fokding Ideas video on End Of Evangelion and it made me appreciate the movie a lot more. Not enough to make me ever want to watch it again. But I get it.

Reveal hidden contents

Watched it. I like it but I feel like he's putting too much on Shinji masturbating. I think it is a condemnation of super fans like he says but I think it also serves a story purpose. At that point a broken Asuka is all Shinji has left. His father will never love him, his relationship with Misato is strained and tainted and his Rei is dead. Asuka is comatose but she's there. Shinji wants he to wake up and do something to make even the smallest connection even if it's just bullying him more so he has some reason to keep piloting the Eva. When he can't get her up he falls into Misato's habit of using "sex" to try and make a connection. This of course fails because duh, she's unwilling here, and he's disgusted at himself at the end of the act.

Benji    43,295

Death Parade sounds interesting...

Whenever someone dies, they are sent to one of many mysterious bars run by bartenders serving as arbiters. There, they must participate in Death Games with their souls on the line, the results of which reveal what secrets led them to their situation and what their fate will be afterwards, with the arbiters judging if their souls will either be sent for reincarnation or banished into the void. The series follows Decim, the lone bartender of the bar where couples who died at the same time are sent to, known as the Quindecim bar, whose role in judging these souls changes when he meets a curious black-haired woman.

Anyone seen it? Worth checking out?

3 hours ago, Benji said:

I  watched it a while ago, don't quite remember the story or its twists and turns, but I remember that I enjoyed it enough to buy it :P

• Thanks 1

Ruki    3,582
7 hours ago, Benji said:

Interesting is right. I watched the series, the opening theme is pretty awesome. Enjoyed it for the most part, but it wasn't one of those that stuck with me, ya know? It's a short one too, I think, so I say it's worth a watch.

• Thanks 1

=BK=    9,775

I can't tell if Madoka Magica frontloads like hell or if the Evangelion comparisons are what made it super obvious that this isn't a normal Magical Girl thing so fast.

On 1/11/2018 at 08:00, Hellraiser said:

Reveal hidden contents

Did you post this on the Eva subreddit after here? I just saw it over there too.

Hellraiser    522
8 hours ago, =BK= said:

Did you post this on the Eva subreddit after here? I just saw it over there too.

Wasn't me. 

=BK=    9,775
23 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Wasn't me. 

Huh. Odd. The video is like two years old so it had to be someone from here because there's no way that it by chance just got posted there right after you shared it here.

Anyway...

Lars Kuyt    1,493

Is anyone watching Boruto? Is it worth it?

LittleDaniel    6,358

Land of the Lustrous (on Amazon Video) is super great too, spent the last week going through the first season.  Very trippy, very weird and inventive storytelling.

Benji    43,295

Watching DB movies before I finally get around to Super, and God damn Tree of Might is bad. The amount of exposition is absolutely hilarious.

=BK=    9,775

That's my favorite...

Lars Kuyt    1,493

The rumor is that episode 131 will be the last Dragon ball super episode. Because after that the time slot super has will be filled with another show. 

Benji    43,295
3 hours ago, Lars Kuyt said:

The rumor is that episode 131 will be the last Dragon ball super episode. Because after that the time slot super has will be filled with another show. 

Pinch of salt, but some seem to think it's just a lengthy hiatus because they're moving resources over to another movie.

Also, watched the first episode of Death Parade. So spoilers...

Spoiler

Anyone else get the impression that that wife was lying at the end about an affair just to make her husband being sent to the void easier? Really enjoyed it, just as horribly dark as I'd hoped.

Benji    43,295

Oh my God I am watching DBZ: Bardock Father of Goku and there's a random use of "Superstar" by Saliva. This is the most early 2000s nerd thing I have ever seen :lol:

Lars Kuyt    1,493
5 hours ago, Benji said:

Pinch of salt, but some seem to think it's just a lengthy hiatus because they're moving resources over to another movie.

Also, watched the first episode of Death Parade. So spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

A long one would be good! Might do the show some good, will the next part be Dragon Ball Hyper? Anyway, hopefully a timeskip if it happens, teenage Trunks and Goten! That would be fun.

Skummy    35,503

The new Netflix Godzilla is weird. I think I enjoyed it, but I'm really not sure. Interesting take.

Benji    43,295

I want to watch it but judging from the Netflix autoplay it's in a style of animation that does my nut in, so I'm going to have to approach it in the right frame of mind.

Hellraiser    522

So I recently finished watching an anime called "Beck". It's about this high school band trying to make it big. And I've enjoyed watching it. It's very well written for the most part. Everything involving the band is great. But the romance poirtions about the anime involving the main character's relationships are quite annoying. 

Edited by Hellraiser