The Anime Thread

Ruki

The problem with Inuyasha is more the fact that it's done by the same person who did Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and Ranma 1/2 so unless it's a landmark, era-defining show it isn't gonna live up to the previously set standards. I have an aversion to most battle shonen anyway, but the real problem people have with Inuyasha more has to do with the fact it comes from someone who made landmark seinen manga for most of her career.

It's far from like Naruto levels of being "okay they're just doing this to get as many chapters/episodes as possible for more money" and it mercifully isn't written by Tite Kubo.

Also, Slayers is pretty rough too. Late 90s/early 00s anime localizations, back when everybody was trying to get in on the act, had a lot of rather bad anime come over because it had action, boobs, etc. and the belief was that would translate better to a wider American audience than something like Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road. While they were right in a lot of respects, it kept a lot of great anime from the 80s and 90s from getting strong American releases. ADV basically cornered the market into getting the bloodiest, most "not for kids" anime possible over here at expense of everything else.

Time has proven that idea largely wrong, yes battle shonen does exceptionally well on both sides of the Pacific but genres that used to be ignored in the US--josei-targeted shows and so many slice-of-life comedies--are doing as well here as they are in Japan. What has taken a drop off are the bombastic action shows that were a lot of Americans' first introduction to anime despite their general lack of quality.

That reminds me about MD Geist 2. Given the idea that Americans were enthusastic about anime because it had blood and boobs they made this show solely for the American audience. MD Geist is horrific, considered rightfully one of the worst anime of all time, but oh man the sequel just lowers the bar even further and embodies everything that was wrong with anime in the US a decade ago (or maybe a bit more now, wow I got old). At the end of the day us old heads here just have grown so tired of having to direct people away from Inuyasha and Slayers that it's a bit strange to see someone who still enjoys them legitimately.

• Like 1

Another problem with Inuyasha: wayyyyy too many episodes, feels like nothing is happening for the most part.

And when they hype up a battle with some big bad, it's over in 2 minutes with one attack. You get all hyped up for the epic battle and....the climax is weak. It's basically anime blue balls.

Just looked it up after something you said set it off in my head. Inuyasha came out in the states in 02. I could have swore it came on Adult Swim around 04. I remember watching the premiere and talking with my cousin about it the next day. I've been watching Inuyasha longer than I've been watching wrestling. Odd to know.

Another problem with Inuyasha: wayyyyy too many episodes, feels like nothing is happening for the most part.

And when they hype up a battle with some big bad, it's over in 2 minutes with one attack. You get all hyped up for the epic battle and....the climax is weak. It's basically anime blue balls.

That's a gripe I understand. It was horrible watching on Adult Swim. The show itself is long as hell anyway but the time it took them to get the next season was crazy every time. You'd end up watching every episode 100 times before they got to the last one because of re-runs. Even then they never really aired it all as it took The Final Act a while to come out.

http://anichart.net/fall

Oh man you guys.

I might be watching a third of the things on there and look at those movies and OVAs.

Hagiwara Sakura and Miyazawa Elena are the leading members of a popular idol group Sweet. One day, Elena is injured by the attack of a female pro-wrestler Kazama Ruo during the recording of a TV program. Sakura gets mad at Ruo and gives her a dropkick.

What?!

The story revolves around Raul, a boy who did not become a Hero, since the demon lord was already defeated just before his Hero exams. His dreams dashed, Raul spends his days working at a magic shop in the capital.

That sounds kinda funny.

As does...

Kanade Amakusa, a boy cursed with the mental power of "absolute multiple-choice" — a multiple-choice quiz will suddenly appear in his mind, and the choice he makes will become his reality.

This sounds interesting...

In 2016 a meltdown of a nuclear power plant creates a big catastrophe in Tokyo. 20 years later, the Self Defence forces dispatch 3 girls from the special unit Coppelion to search for survivors. But why aren't they wearing any protection against radiation?

You know what I wish? That there was an anime where people got trapped inside a video game. Thank you .hack/Sword Art Online/Log Horizon.

The story begins when 30,000 Japanese gamers are trapped in the fantasy online game world Elder Tale. What was once a sword-and-sorcery world is now the real world.

(Will probably still check it out)

And outside of those...Yozakura Quartet seems interesting.

but really, nothing that sounds super duper amazing.

There was an OVA if that's what you mean, and yes it did.

I knew about the OVA, i remember reading something about that there was going to be a movie this year as well, haven't been following any anime lately so i was just wondering. Have to get on watching Attack on Titan and Danganronpa soon, has there been anything else that's been good this summer?

Edited by The Sandman

Servant X Service and Uchouten Kazoku are also really good. The latter can take a bit to get going unless you're up to snuff on the tanuki and tengu mythology. The first one is a fun workplace comedy.

And I second Silver Spoon and WataMote.

Monogatari: Second Season is also airing right now if you've seen Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari.

Titan ep. 21

HAHAHAHAH over 3 minutes of recap to start the episode? That is beyond embarrassing. I don't even think Naruto takes that long.

Petra :(

Eldo :(

Everyone :(

Well the clash between Female Probably Annie Titan and Eren was something. Eren should be dead the sequel. His face when he looked into her eyes and knew who it was (again, probably Annie) was awesome.

Oh and some of the dialogue in the anime made me think of something. Are the titans inside the walls too? That would explain how the Colossal Titan can get out of dodge so quickly without being seen, he has everything waiting for him.

Oh and Miyazaki is retiring from making feature films. Any word if Anno is going to get to make that Nausicaa movie for Ghibli?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-01/hayao-miyazaki-to-retire-from-making-feature-films