The Anime Thread

Ruki

Yes, I may be over hyping it a tad, but I am loving it. And let's be honest...no show will ever be FMA:B. That show is just impossible to top. Although, if it keeps it up, I would put this show on the same level as Steins;Gate/Mirai Nikki.

Well, I personally think Death Note's better than FMA:B, but that's me. My big issue with FMA:B is for something so serious, the humor that's thrown in. It's a great story, but Ed insulting Winry or jokes about his height/people thinking Al's is the Full Metal Alchemist gets old fast. The only humorous bit in Death Note I can think of, I mean, intentionally humorous (Hey, I think watching Higuchi freak out is a riot :shifty: ), is when Light figures out his room is bugged, and Ryuk freaks out over the lack of apples. But that's me.

While I am a big S;G fan and it's a fun watch the series starts off so slowly. My favorite show of the "past few years" is Madoka in any case, probably followed by Durarara. I tried rewatching DN and I just cannot take how super serious it is all the time. It's just so angsty. It was fun when I watched it but trying to go back to it and, well, it's the same reason I can't rewatch CG. God-complexes just don't work for me anymore. Both Light and Lelouch did things that were too careless for supposed geniuses with superpowers. DN doesn't even happen if Light is just a little more careful early on and doesn't kill the investigator whose name escapes me. By R2, Geass become so messy as a story. It was a lot of fun but things were held together more by a desire to get to the end than keep things logically flowing.

I'm going to let KlK play out, some of the animation has been poor (but new studio, likely limited budget, and probably not enough staff make that understandable) and done with CGI but the episodes are brainless action fun as they layer on the world and the overarching story more each episode.

Titan was absolutely not the best show of the year. The manga is a lot of fun, and the anime likely turned a lot of people onto it, but for many episodes it was just a cheap manga sales pitch while they waited their time to run the Female Titan story.

• Like 1

Yeah, killing Ray is what more or less causes Light's downfall. I do love the seriousness, it is a nice change of pace. Even the funny tuff is serious :shifty:

And Ray wasn't even going to find out and would have given up in short order. Light's a genius but in that moment didn't seem to be one at all. Geniuses have downfalls, but it's usually pride. With Light his downfall was started by more or less not being a genius. It just makes no sense. It's a bit nitpicky, yeah, but I feel like for such a central plot point it's something that could have been handled a lot better or differently.

It's one of those plot developments that, as someone who has written, screams "I have no idea how to actually get this story off the ground." There might not have been real alternatives, nobody is going to go to incredible lengths to stop Light while he's killing criminals. He needs to cross the line. And Ray is just checking it out more from curiosity and not this stone cold desire to unmask Kira. Light wasn't going to get found out, he should have known this as a genius, but he just panicked for whatever reason.

Anyway Mick, let's discuss the latest cute girls doing cute things show of the season - Non Non Biyori. You watching it?

No; only thing I've watched so far is KLK and an episode of that fanservice show Ruki mentioned.

Light was a genius, though. He was able to outsmart L, the only thing that made him lose was Sidoh saying that the 13 day rule was fake.

Though, there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8fM2FBL_A

That is the far superior ending, yes. Him getting caught is satisfying and justice, but him doing this is more logical.

I mean I know Light is a genius, it's just that his actions with Ray were not those a genius would take. He did just fine after that for the longest time because he was a genius. My point is that he wouldn't have wound up needing to do that had he not killed Ray. It kickstarted things in a much hastier manner than Light swelling with pride until that caused him to slip up.

I really need to watch Durarara. That's a slice of life anime, right? Also, need to re-attempt to watch Madoka. I think I watched 5 or 6 episodes? (And every time Madoka is mentioned I will keep saying 'I should try and watch it again', because maybe if I say it enough I'll get off my ass and do it)

I really need to watch Durarara. That's a slice of life anime, right? Also, need to re-attempt to watch Madoka. I think I watched 5 or 6 episodes? (And every time Madoka is mentioned I will keep saying 'I should try and watch it again', because maybe if I say it enough I'll get off my ass and do it)

I honestly don't know how to classify Durarara; on MyAnimeList it's classified as Action, Mystery, Shounen and Supernatural, and on AnimeNewsNetwork it's classified as action, drama, supernatural, thriller.

If I were to be asked, I'd simply classify it as awesome. Shizuo is one of the coolest characters in all of anime and I will admit no disagreements on this.

But yeah, watch it. As soon as you can.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

Shizuo and Izaya and Celty are 3 of my favorite characters. Most of the Durarara characters are really awesome, but those 3 were my favorites.

As for classification. It's a lot like a noir. Just think of that.

And Ruki as you only made it through 5 or 6 episodes of Madoka you never got to experience my personal ultimate "holy fucking shit are you fucking shitting me" moment in anime.

• Like 1

For the past while I've been rewatching Eureka Seven, and once I reached the end, I started watching Eureka Seven AO for the first time. Has anyone seen this? I'm on the 14th episode and I guess as a stand alone show it would be alright, but not as an Eureka Seven sequel. It doesn't feel the least bit like the original show, the characters are just not as good, and the original is just far superior in every aspect. I'll stick with it, but am I the only one who feels like this? Am I just giving it a hard time because the original is so fresh in my mind and I can't help but make comparisons?

Well, I personally think Death Note's better than FMA:B, but that's me.

Ditto on that. And Black Lagoon, too. And GITS. And FLCL.

I decided to watch Attack On Titan yesterday to see what the fuss was about - only had time to watch the first episode. But guh. Guuuuuuuh.

I don't even know what my feelings are.

You don't understand. Watch.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is amazing. I'm not saying you're all wrong, because what we think is the best anime is entirely subjective.

But I will point out that you're standing on the same side of this argument as ORO.

• Like 1

Just watched the first episode of Durarara, so far so good.

Ruki: Not so horrible anymore

The second episode was also enjoyable! I like the transporter/biker fellow. He seems nice!

I also think I will enjoy the person who threw the vending machine.

But with all these characters, I don't know I will be able to remember any names.