The Anime Thread

Ruki

I'm actually trying to remember the name of an anime.

basically all i can remember is its this chick with pink hair, and she breaks out of this experiment place and uses cool mind powers to kill people

very gory.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it, is called Elfen Lied :shifty:

I was just about to post this:

OMG THAT'S ELFEN LIED IT OWNS OMG OMG OMGASM!!!

I felt the need to anyway.

Elfen Lied rocks the socks. It is well worthy of the title Fucked Up Awesomeness.

Plus it's got like the ultimate "What will happen if you're cruel to puppies? YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT'LL HAPPEN IF YOU'RE CRUEL TO PUPPIES" bit. It should be used by the RSPCA as an educational video. :shifty:

And as for the Code Geass fansub groups: a lot of the 'Your Mom' fansub efforts are actually quite good (unlike in School Rumble, for example, when they were shit and weren't worthy to hold WannabeFansubs' cod piece). I particularly like their episode 23 effort for two reasons:

1. When Lelouch does his uber-long, manic, "Oh-God-he's-finally-flipped" laugh, they just leave a constant stream of "hahahahahahahahahahahaha" scrolling across the entire top length of the screen. That made me laugh.

2. The episode's opening still is this:

HaruhiGeass.jpg

MOST SCARILY AWESOME ANIME CONCEPT EVER.

Edited by stokeriño

Yeah, Bleach is one of those where it's like "Okay, we're up to episode 238. Now you're just taking the piss."

Though I imagine the mangas might be slightly more bearable in that regard.

Edit: Upon checking it seems they're actually 'only' up to around 135 (clearly, I was thinking of One Piece's episode tally). But really, if you're going to go over 50 or 60 episodes, then you have a responsibility not to just fill them all with faff, or take up 15 minutes of a 22 minute episode with nothing but assorted flashbacks. Unfortunately it worked for Dragonball Z, Naruto and the like, so the same fanbase seem willing to take it again and again.

Edited by stokeriño

The show's so-so, it's as formulaic as Naruto/DBZ/InuYasha like stoker said but I can tolerate it. It can be alright at times, and there's nothing else on at 11pm on saturday nights.

• Like 1

I liked Bleach at first, but its just wading through the piles and piles of filler to get to anything remotely interesting.

Oh and after finishing all of Full Metal Panic, I need you guys to recommend me something else, doesn't have to be similar, but FMP rocked my house down, and I need more Anime.

I mean all of it, FUMOFFU and The Second Raid included.

Well, I was looking around on ADVfilms.co.uk, and saw such delights as the trailer for Elfen Lied, but I'm just wondering if it would be better to watch the dubbed or subbed version? Aaaand any other recorrrrmendations for DVD/download would be a wonder, as I'll do either.

Galaxy Angel, at least the first few seasons. Pretty good sci-fi/parody anime.

EDIT: Also for comedy, get "Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu". It's a slapstick comedy with a pretty surreal cast and plot (if you can call it that).

Edited by Bushmeister

In 95% of all anime the subbed version in better, and the others are more down to personal taste (e.g. I prefer Evangelion and Fruits Basket dubbed) than anything.

Elfen Lied, as mentioned before, is fucking awesome and highly recommended.

Galaxy Angel is a tricky one, because its episode fluctuate back and forth between brilliant satire and mindless childishness. And even then, it doesn't peak until you're upto the latter half of season 2 (which I believe is called Galaxy Angel Z in the US) and season 3, with it then taking a great tumble in season 4. And Jungle (like I can be bothered with its full title)...it got old for me really quickly. My friend adores it, but then her taste is kind of mixed so I don't necessarily take her word on it.

There are of course loads of recommendations that could be put forward, but my willingness to think of and list them all is the limiting factor. ¬_¬

Edited by stokeriño

Well, I just watched the first episode of Azumanga Daioh. I was a bit worried at first, thinking I wasn't going to like it (since I haven't watched anything with subs in awhile...)...but about 30 seconds into it I was laughing, I am enjoying it very much so. Although I am curious as to how the English voices sound.

Well, I just watched the first episode of Azumanga Daioh. I was a bit worried at first, thinking I wasn't going to like it (since I haven't watched anything with subs in awhile...)...but about 30 seconds into it I was laughing, I am enjoying it very much so. Although I am curious as to how the English voices sound.

I thought the English voices fit pretty well, all things given. It's not a bad dub by any means, or so I thought.

Just wait until you get further into the series, it just keeps getting more AWESOME. Probably my favourite anime of all time.

• Like 1