The Anime Thread

Ruki

Any good vampire series out there, other than Blood+ and Hellsing?

(I've seen most of Blood+ already)

You might enjoy Trinity Blood, but I'm not 100% how good it is since it's been a long, long time since I watched it.

I seem to recall finding the first few episodes glorious though.

The first episode of Lucky Star is one of the most boring twenty two minutes of anime I have ever watched. The second one is much better, but I got bored with it and stopped watching entirely after the third.

What exactly is the basic plot of Hell Girl? I decided to watch an episode and unfortunately stumbled upon episode six without realizing it, leaving me incredibly confused as to why the mom is so incredibly nervous about seemingly everything. I haven't a clue of the underlying 'message' behind anything anyone says to her.

So yeah, a basic plot summary please so I can understand what the fuck is going on.

Edit: Well, this just got dark as all hell rather quickly.

Edited by Wills of Jericho

What exactly is the basic plot of Hell Girl? I decided to watch an episode and unfortunately stumbled upon episode six without realizing it, leaving me incredibly confused as to why the mom is so incredibly nervous about seemingly everything. I haven't a clue of the underlying 'message' behind anything anyone says to her.

So yeah, a basic plot summary please so I can understand what the fuck is going on.

Edit: Well, this just got dark as all hell rather quickly.

Basic plot of every Hell Girl episode (this is not a bad thing- despite them all being basically the same thing, it's awesome nonetheless.)

-Person A has problem with Person B over some slight [always changing from episode to episode.] They get mistreated for a bit to see how much of a problem they have. They hear about a website where if you click on it at the right time, you can send the person you hate to hell. They wonder a bit, then go to the website and put the name of the person they hate in. The Hell Girl comes to them and gives them a doll, with the rule that if they wish revenge on the person they hate, then they have to pull the string to send them to hell...but with the catch that they are effectively selling their soul to assure the person they hate goes to hell. They get worried by this catch and try to stop doing this- but then the person who they hate goes just too far. The bullied person pulls the string, the person they hate goes to hell, the bullied person lives happily ever after...until they die and go to hell.

It's really, really formulaic, but it's a damn awesome formula nonetheless and highly worth watching.

I got bored will Hell Girl really rather quickly, largely on account on the formulaic repetition (though also because I find stories like School Girl A bullies School Girl B etc. tedious to begin with). They're onto a third season now, and I honestly can't imagine watching so much of it.

I've a feeling it's a slow-building anime that builds the central characters over time while using the different stories to do so. I highly doubt it's three seasons worth of the same thing, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. In the meantime though, I'll be watching it, it's damn interesting and enjoyable thus far so why not?

Darker Than Black seemed to start well but then drifted for a number of episodes and eventually I couldn't be bothered to download it every week. One of those series where you can't find specific faults so much as an absence of anything that hooks you, if you know what I mean.

Stokerina watched the first few episodes of Baccano. She says it was intreguing but for the most part it seemed like a load of random stuff without much plot to tie it together. Maybe it did come together later on in the series...but she hasn't got that far with it yet. >_>

My girlfriend is a fan of Lucky Star(Everyone who only kinda liked it should give the OVA a try). Being a fan of the show, she bought figures of a couple of the characters. A friend of ours happened by today. Upon seeing the figure he remarked, in all seriousness, "Lucky Star has the best hentai, it really does.". Sometimes I hate my friends.

My girlfriend is a fan of Lucky Star(Everyone who only kinda liked it should give the OVA a try). Being a fan of the show, she bought figures of a couple of the characters. A friend of ours happened by today. Upon seeing the figure he remarked, in all seriousness, "Lucky Star has the best hentai, it really does.". Sometimes I hate my friends.

Lolicon freak, I take it?

Darker Than Black seemed to start well but then drifted for a number of episodes and eventually I couldn't be bothered to download it every week. One of those series where you can't find specific faults so much as an absence of anything that hooks you, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, pretty much. I drifted between enjoying Darker than Black two-parters and then being immensely bored with them, and I stopped watching in the midst of one I didn't really... care enough to make sense out of. The two-parter with Misaki's old childhood friend-turned-bugfuck-insane and the two-parter with Kurasawa Gai, PRIVATE DETECTIVE, were both awesome, but those were the only ones that really lived up to the series' potential.

Gorgeous music, though, as should be expected from Yoko Kanno.