The Anime Thread

Ruki

Honestly? I never thought I'd say it, but I... kind-of have high hopes for Soul Eater by Funimation. I won't be surprised if it sucks ass, but honestly? That trailer alone looks thousands of times better then the one for Gurren Lagann did. The fact that the guy talking, though his voice sounds incredibly gay, was able to properly pronounce most of the names of the characters, is (sadly) a good sign for the first trailer, for example.

Look, Funimation has produced steaming piles of shit before, but let's face facts here: that trailer could have been a lot worse. It was an introduction to the series for newcomers, and it did its job... decently. It wasn't terrible, something I myself have grown accustomed to seeing from Funimation, and because it wasn't terrible makes me think they may actually do something good with this.

But... like I said, these guys are known for shit, so for all I know they may turn this thing to shit as well. The only current benefit I'm seeing from this is that Funimation has a better opportunity of hiring competent voice actors than some other companies would have had they picked up on Soul Eater... the question is how much Funimation plans to change in Soul Eater that worries me most.

Okay, so I was recently perusing this thread in search of random anime to check out. I decided to go with Soul Eater (English subs). I've really enjoyed the first 5 eps so far. Does it stay good?

Also, what could people recommend me to 'get into' anime more?

From my limited exposure I can say I like the Ghost in the Shell film, but thought Evangelion was over rated from the 5 or 6 eps I watched (and the lead character was awful).

So, yeah, help me EWB! :)

Edited by Winter-F'n-Sun!

Obligatory answer #1: Cowboy Bebop.

Oh, actually, I have watched the first episode I think. It was okay.

It's funny, I went the opposite way of most people. I watched Trigun first, THEN Bebop, when I first saw the two of them.

Of course, the first anime I recall ever watching was Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon (shut up), mainly because they were the only things playing in the morning before my bus came for Elementary school. I probably watched a few others but for the life of me I can't remember them.

But, yeah, eventually I got hold of Trigun and loved it, then moved on to Bebop from there.

As for Soul Eater, WATCH IT. Trust me, I can concede to what Vinny said about things probably slowing down a bit around 11-15 (although personally I still enjoyed them, I'm the type of guy who can even enjoy the filler episodes :P) but the whole series is just incredibly entertaining. It's a good story, the character design is done well, and the flow of it all keeps you interested the whole way through.

Oh, and WFS? If you've not yet seen Gurren Lagann, I suggest dropping what you're doing and watching it. Watch the subs, though, the dub is okay but it's nowhere near the level the subs reached, honestly.

GOD, I never thought I'd be one of those people who'd say something like that <_<

Edited by The Mask of Norro

I hate it when people are critical of me watching Sailor Moon. They weren't there, man! They didn't know what it was like in those days before Cartoon Network and Toonami! Yes, Sailor Moon wasn't the greatest show, but they have no idea just how bad everything else on TV before 8pm was.

THANK YOU. Seriously, when you're a kid and it's that early in the morning and all you want to do is eat breakfast and watch TV before school, you WILL watch whatever is on that isn't tuned for adults or toddlers.

It was either Sailor Moon, some show for kids younger then you, or the news. We really didn't have very many options >_>

Wiki informs me that Bananas in Pyjamas debuted in the USA in 1995 (and presumably later in the UK). I'm pretty sure that even as a 10 year old I would have said "fuck no". :/

Though with that said, I was still obsessed with Sonic in 1995, so not much else stood much of a chance...

As for Sailor Moon, I've never really seen it. It only started airing in the UK in 1999 on Fox Kids UK...which I didn't have. Apparently ITV briefly started showing some of it in 2002, but by that time I'd have been too busy with Evangelion and Nadesico to care. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Wiki informs me that Bananas in Pyjamas debuted in the USA in 1995 (and presumably later in the UK). I'm pretty sure that even as a 10 year old I would have said "fuck no". :/

Though with that said, I was still obsessed with Sonic in 1995, so not much else stood much of a chance...

As for Sailor Moon, I've never really seen it. It only started airing in the UK in 1999 on Fox Kids UK...which I didn't have. Apparently ITV briefly started showing some of it in 2002, but by that time I'd have been too busy with Evangelion and Nadesico to care. :shifty:

Oh cheese and whiskers, it was a fine fine program. And besides, there wasn't anything else on at 7am.

I recall only, like, one Sailor Moon episode in particular. The rest are blurred together in random memories, like the one when Sailor Moon finds out she's supposed to be a queen or something, or the one with the pink haired little girl being all evil and crap.

The only episode I remember most of is that one with the nerdy guy and his girlfriend being in some competition, and there being a part of the competition where they have to identify their girlfriend by looking at their hands, and he got it wrong and panicked.

And upon second thought, I realize that really, it's just another blurred memory of an episode moreso than me actually remembering the episode >_>

Edited by The Mask of Norro

I hated Tuxedo Mask as a kid. Dude threw a rose and then just stood around and was useless.

... ironically, my favorite was Sailor Mercury, who didn't have an offensive attack for the entire first season.