The Anime Thread

Ruki

I watched Spirited Away a few months ago, I enjoyed it. Was a good way to waste a work afternoon :shifty:

But of the one off anime movies, I think I enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time the most....that could be because I just watched that a few months ago....hmmm

Hmm, not only is BBC Four showing Spirited Away, but it's showing it in subs. Unusual.

I approve.

AMC TV airs anime films subbed here. It's pretty neat, for the past two years they've set aside a chunk of a month (usually a spring month) to air anime, first they'll air it dubbed and then air the subs. It's pretty cool, and I really wish more channels would do it.

So, the final episode of Soul Eater....going to watch it today after lunch, and then I shall post my opinions....probably anyways. And then I will likely rewatch Haruhi. I've already watched the first dub, might as well view the others.

Edit: FUCKING HELL! Veoh took the video down, and I can't watch anymore Megaupload video for the next hour! So close to the end! Dammit all!

Edit 2: Well....the ending seemed rushed :/

Edited by Ruki Nagato

Soul Eater Finale:

*sigh* I know that it was only 52 episodes, and I know that not everything was getting tied up in a neat little bow for the end, but seriously? Maka goes all Fist of the North Star and DEFEATS ASURA. One punch, because of SUPER COURAGE! Not even Soul was involved ( You know, the guy the show is NAMED AFTER ) Maka goes from scared to weapon in 3 seconds, then it's like she's not even Maka at all! Kid and Black Star wake up just in time to kiss her ass some more near the end; ( and I have a feeling that Asura saying things like "This makes no sense" was the shows way of saying "we're out of time, so it doesn't make sense to us either and we write this stuff!" ) then it's one punch to the face that makes his head explode. It was pretty rushed, but I understand it was, so it's not as bad as it could be. There's plenty of questions to answer, and not in a good way. We hopefully can get a OVA eventually to finish everything off.

I'm happy to see it end. I followed since ep7 ( or whenever Norro first jumped in and told everyone to start watching ) and it was my favorite series that was currently running.

Btw, I was actually ticked to see Shinigami still alive

After I watched the finale today I contemplated, wrote up my opinions, then scouted for a new show via 4chan.

Then I watched the new FMA (which looks to be pretty badass so far, even though the first episode feels the need to cram a lot of story in at once) and K-ON, which seems to be Lucky Star with guitars and a plot.

I'll be keeping up on both for now.

There's a couple others that are coming out right around now that look worth a look:

Shangri-La

Ristorante Paradiso

Soten Koro

Rainbow Nisha

I think still just the first one. The subs seemed to have come out yesterday.

And I'm throwing Pandora Hearts out there too, since I have the feeling that if it's properly taken care off, it'll be the next Death Note in terms of popularity.

Yeah, FMA: Brotherhood only started airing in Japan yesterday.

Show me a screenshot, VinnyT, I want to see how the animation looks.

Is the new FMA a remake or an alternate universe retelling type thing (like how Tenchi Universe takes place in an alternate universe from the original Tenchi Muyo), or a series that takes place between episodes of the original?

Edited by GhostMachine

The original anime didn't so much 'get ahead' of the manga as veer wildly off about halfway through, before sort of returning to something vaguely similar towards the end.

Animenewsnetwork says this one has 13 episodes, which I imagine is just the first 'part' (like the original came in 4 sets of 13). Aside from the very first epsiode, which was of course completely new in order to hook old fans of the series, I expect the ensuing episodes to be very, very familar - although it looks like the next episode is the big flashback episode, when I think it was episode 3 or 4 in the original. IIRC, the first part of the manga which is obviously different to that of the original anime adaption was when:

Tucker (?), the guy who made a chimera out of his daughter and their dog, gets killed by Scar almost immediately afterwards, rather than living on and becoming a chimera himself.

Looking forward to a lot of the bigger differences though.

After having seen the first episode just now, I think it might actually just be the 13 episodes. Pretty much every vital character was introduced, and a few non-vital ones made it in. The episode managed to reveal the war, Ed & Al's plans to visit Lior, hinted at Bradley's eye (or at the very least, him being more than normal), introduced the philosopher's stone and Ed & Al's quest for it and dissension amongst the ranks of Bradley's army due to reasons that point to his less than noble motives.

Next episode looks to explain their pasts in it's entirety, so I think it's entirely possible that the entire series is only 13 episodes.

...I really cannot imagine that.

Particularly if they do go the way of the manga as is apparently being claimed. They wouldn't even get round to introducing the characters from Xing.

I can't say I've read the manga. I'm only going off what I saw in the first iteration of the series. The current pace makes it seem to me that they could do it in just the 13 episodes, but again, I haven't read the manga, and don't know how long it is.

There are currently 17 or 18 volumes of the manga out in English and it's still deeply entrenched in the middle of the story. The introduction of Ling Yao and his arc, in particular, is something I want to see. Although this may have something to do with not knowing where it goes yet. :shifty:

The question of whether they do the real Sloth or that version they made up for the anime is another big one that suddenly occurs to me...

Edited by stokeriño