The Anime Thread

Ruki

Different Avatar, SRR. Different Avatar entirely.

This is the one they're talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Airbender

It's directed by M. Night Shamwow

Edited by Master Cloud Star

I CAN'T believe M. Night is going to direct the movie.

Was Aang a ghost from the beginning?

Or maybe all of this stuff is happening in a snow globe belonging to a small child?

*insert other random twist here*

Also, I have been watching Basilisk, that is a pretty awesome/interesting anime.

Got round to buying Fruits Basket vol 22 (and then reading it in half an hour) - the penultimate volume, when everything happens. Everything.

Bless this series. It got a little too wrapped up in its introspective angst monologues somewhere around the vol 18-20 mark, but now it's tying up all the loose ends in a wonderfully happy ending.

The final volume, 23, comes out in August. And then the largest 'set' of manga on my shelves will be complete.

It's a happy, almost serene feeling. :)

Watched the Gurren Lagann movie. It was hilariously rushed, well beyond anything I expected to see in terms of how rushed it was. How do they handle the episode 4 fiasco? They break into a fast-paced montage of clips set to ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH and call it a day. Don't change the style for it or anything, so even though they try to speed through it you can still easily pick up the difference.

Seriously, the only good bits were the new intro, some of the new bits revolving around Simon at what would have been slightly after episode 8, and then the new fight scene where

Simon and the Gurren-dan take on Adiane, Guame, Cytomander and Viral all at once in an epic fight that also was very, very fast paced but at least was pretty fucking good. Simon's ascent to manliness is a lot more intense in this one, and they handled it really well. Shame the same can't be said for the rest of the film.

Really, the most I can say is that someone should cut out all the extra scenes and slap them onto the actual episodes, that would be pretty awesome. Except for the final fight, while it was really cool and everything I'd really rather stick to how they handled all those fights in the series, rather than the one in the movie.

A couple other things... Lorina and I need to catch up on Pandora Hearts. We fell behind because of stuff going on but we're planning on dedicating a day to playing catch-up. She's also picked up on another series I haven't watched with her yet, something called "Real Drive". So far she really likes it. We've also began watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya for the first time, and so far are enjoying that as well.

Stok sucks for misleading me, by the by. I was at the con and everywhere I looked for Ouran box-sets (those two separate ones that box half the series that Stok said were £12) they were priced at a ridiculous $42.88. I'm almost positive exchange rates between our two countries aren't THAT bad, so obviously Stok is a filthy liar (or they're filthy con artists. Probably Stok's one though. Probably. :shifty: )

Anyway, like I said, notes from the con at some point. Nothing really of interest happened there Sunday so it's mostly going to talk about Friday and Saturday... where plenty things of interest happened >_>

PROBABLY STILL STOK BEING A LYING DOUCHE I THINK GUYS PROBABLY :shifty:

. . .

Why do the UK ones HAVE to be Region 2? Why not one my damn computer/DVD player/what have you can read? Fuck's sake I just checked Amazon and it's like over $50 there for an American one. WHY DO THE REGIONS MAKE SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN PRICE?! THERE IS NO WAY THAT £11.98 = $53.99 >_<

Why do the UK ones HAVE to be Region 2? Why not one my damn computer/DVD player/what have you can read?

Ah, the reversal of the usual Region 1/Region 2 scenario. It is delicious.

Just get a multi-region player like we've had to forever and ever!

Edited by stokeriño

BAH, you foreigners and your... your MULTI-REGION DVDS... don't you know we like things ONE WAY here in America?! I shun your disgusting pig-like DVD players!

... so yeah how much do those usually run for? :shifty:

Usually even the cheapest end of the DVD player range will have some that are multi-region or multi-region-capable (as in there's some code you have to enter to 'unlock' them). The trick is to research a model to see if it can or not before you actually go ahead and buy one.

Edited by stokeriño

I bought one that could be unlocked to multi-region for like... eighty bucks, a couple years ago? I think it was around that price, anyway.

Yeah, just gave up on posting about it. >_>

The most recent episode has been the best of the season so far I think. It was a part that lent itself well to the condensed nature of the series.

Well it's been a while anime thread, perhaps....too long.

Anyway. I'm bored, I'm looking for anime. Here are my requirements:

Easy to get into; like 3 or 4 episodes in when stuff actually starts happening.

Pretty emotionally satisying. Maybe not wildly depressing as such, but with characters strong enough that you genuinely care what happens to them.

Not fussed on the genre, just want a strong and fun anime to pass the days by a bit.

Oh and I've seen Elfen Lied and Gurren Langan(?).

Pretty emotionally satisying. Maybe not wildly depressing as such, but with characters strong enough that you genuinely care what happens to them.

Not fussed on the genre, just want a strong and fun anime to pass the days by a bit.

Code Geass.

Basilisk.

Azumanga Diaoh.

Black Cat.

Cowboy Bebop.

Trigun.

Ouran Highschool Host Club.

Code Geass.

Basilisk.

Azumanga Diaoh.

Black Cat.

Cowboy Bebop.

Trigun.

Ouran Highschool Host Club.

You are a grand host sir, I thank you. Anyway, I did neglect to mention the other anime I've seen, I suppose its just that Elfen Lied and Gurren were the closest matches to my description >.<.

Annoyingly, I started watching Ouran Highschool Host Club about 34 seconds after posting that, I was kinda skeptical at first (but I always am). But it seems like this is going to grow on me immensely. I found a new one! Yay!

Anyway, this seems like a solid list to work through (and has reminded me I need to finish watching Geass). So thanks again.

Edited by Robu-ster