The Anime Thread

Ruki

......why are we talking about which characters (well, by "we" I mean newguy) can beat one another? Does anyone really care that Tenchi Muyo has super powerful characters that can beat anything with a blink of an eye?

I don't want to watch a show where the characters are super powerful and stand no chance of death. Hell, even DBZ threw us a 'death' every so often.

I just don't really get the desire for comparison between different universes and their canons. They're different pieces of fiction with their own specific - often incompatible - natural laws. What meaning of any kind can be gained in trying to rationalise competition between them? :/

Clearly, this is a game for those who could never get enough of playing Top Trumps. :shifty:

• Like 2

I came in here to see what all the complaining was about, but I do have to chime in and say that Tenchi was awesome back in the day. I remember it only ever aired on like Toonami (or whatever it was called back then) during the middle of the day, and it would always be the thing that got me through my days off school or where I'd fake being ill to not go in. That little rabbit thing was awesome. :blush: I remember it so well, it'd be Tenchi during the day, mixed with A Scrap Named Scooby Doo (Or Scooby Doo kids, whatever it was called), maybe a bit of Totally Spies, some Samurai Jack, then at 5 it'd be two hours of Dragon Ball Z, then if I could stay up late enough - Outlaw Star. And on the weekends there would always be a DBZ marathon. Always.

I can imagine it being utter tripe nowadays though (Apart from Samurai Jack & maybe Outlaw Star). And wow, Naruto, have I returned to being 14? :P I remember being obsessed with the show back in the day, only for it to turn to complete crap after/during the big fight in the leaf village. I tried catching up with it recently but it's just dire now. It's the Anime/Manga equivalent of TNA. I remember Bleach being cool as well, but I lost interest in that around the end of the time those three Shinigami turned out to be the bad guys.

One Piece, on the other hand, to this very day is still fucking awesome. So ludicrous but so fun.

Needless.

Check it out. I've only casually been following it over Lorina's shoulder while she watches it but holy shit, I may have to get more into this thing at some point. Story is certainly intriguing, I really like the characters but damn if the little kid doesn't get on your nerves a good deal.

Needless.

Check it out. I've only casually been following it over Lorina's shoulder while she watches it but holy shit, I may have to get more into this thing at some point. Story is certainly intriguing, I really like the characters but damn if the little kid doesn't get on your nerves a good deal.

Need more details.

I cannot be arsed to flesh out, like, a comprehensive outline of the series since honestly I only saw the first few episodes, skipped the rest because Lorina watched them while I was away, and then when I came back wound up getting hooked in again around Episode 20.

Right now there's 22 episodes out. It's set in a pseudo-post apocalyptic environment where, after the Third World War, a new type-of human species called "Needless" came into existence. They have superhuman powers and thrive off of carbs or something of the sort in order to keep themselves charged. There's an entire story behind not only how the Needless came into existence, what started them in the first place ("Project Adam" and "Project Eve"), along with a bunch of other crazy shit.

The main character, or at least rather one of the members of the main cast since the show doesn't actually revolve around him, is this little green-haired kid. I can't go into detail about why you might not enjoy him that much in the series without spoiling things, but I suppose he's tolerable. One of his traveling companions-- a priest-- MORE than makes up for him though. The guy is fucking hysterical, and it's awesome when you figure out his power.

I think you'd like it Ruki. It's very, very action packed and it seems to have a decent bit of fanservice scattered about, but (at least from the episodes I've caught) it isn't overwhelming.

......why are we talking about which characters (well, by "we" I mean newguy) can beat one another?

Who cares how uber geeky it is, if it's fun it's fun. Besides that, it can lead to learning about stuff you haven't heard of before if someone is bringing up a series your unfamiliar with, as well as differences between different versions of the series.

For instance there are huge differences between the Trigun Anime and the Trigun manga.

Does anyone really care that Tenchi Muyo has super powerful characters that can beat anything with a blink of an eye?

I would love to extrapolate on this, but I'm trying very hard not to actually spoil the plot of the 3rd part of the OVA series. Ask a comic book guy about Mad Jim Jaspers, or Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet and you'll start getting an idea.

I don't want to watch a show where the characters are super powerful and stand no chance of death. Hell, even DBZ threw us a 'death' every so often.

There is a very real possibility of death here.

... as well as the destruction of the entire Universe.

Edited by Slide

.....trying to burn anime today, not much luck.

First, the first two episodes of School Rumble are MKV....so I have to convert them. Then, the burning process fails for some reason. Then the disk size is too small (tells me this AFTER it goes through the 3 hour process). Then I find out the first two episodes do not have sub titles. FUCKING HELL. Now trying to find the first two episodes....

.....trying to burn anime today, not much luck.

First, the first two episodes of School Rumble are MKV....so I have to convert them. Then, the burning process fails for some reason. Then the disk size is too small (tells me this AFTER it goes through the 3 hour process). Then I find out the first two episodes do not have sub titles. FUCKING HELL. Now trying to find the first two episodes....

You know... you could just watch it for free on Hulu. I believe they have dubbed and subtitled version of School Rumble set up to stream.

Presumably the subtitles were removed somewhere within your MKV conversion process. Or, if you're talking about the MKV versions, perhaps your computer is lacking some of the basic MKV codecs that have been around for a number of years now...but that would seem odd.

Moral of the story: just accept that a lot of anime is MKV these days and be satisfied in watching them on your computer. :P The picture quality is better anyway.

But I get distracted when I watch anything on my computer! That's why I gotta burn it to disk and watch it :shifty:

I guess I could attempt to search for a DVD-video burning program that burns MKV.

Apparently Needless is only 24 episodes....so maybe a torrent with the full series will be released soon.

Do you have an HD set? If you do you can run a cable from your computer to his TV and effectively make it a second computer monitor. Then you could just watch movies on your computer on your TV without having to convert anything.

... Other than the type of cable between the computer to the TV of course... :shifty:

Edited by Slide

The 300 Gurren Lagann trailer was awesome like, a year and a half ago. It still is, mind, but if you're going to wow us with AMVs be sure to do them with recent ones :shifty: