The Anime Thread

Ruki

I watched Attack on Titan in pretty much two sittings and while I enjoyed it, and for a long time it was on course to be one of my favoured anime for the past few seasons it sort of waned towards the end.

So we knew the titan's were the enemies but then half way through it sort of becomes 'oh no actually now it's just this one female titan', and while they did an ok job of giving us some sympathetic view point to the titans with the captured two it just seemed a bit meh towards the end. So it turns out Annie is a titan transformer too, that's fine, why should Eren be the only one but the reason given seems to be a bit 'daddy is the only one who will love me' which just doesn't really wash. Now I know a bit about what happens in the manga in reference to some of the other titans and i understand they're following that, the problem is as a stand alone season the antagonist doesn't seem enough to make the series really interesting. It's fine when there's hundreds of volumes and chapters to march through, but assuming they make another season (which I figure they probably will?) well we're going to have to wait a year or two for that most likely so it probably needed a bigger ending.

And do we ever actually find out why she wanted to get to Eren so badly when she was charging through the formation? I dunno, probably could have cut a few people out here and there and streamlined the show a bit better. At times it felt like there was about 6 episodes where nothing really was achieved. I know it's either about 13 or 26 episodes give or take so a 20 episode show wouldn't work but at times it felt like I watched 25 minutes and nothing was really advanced. I mean, we knew it was Annie right? The Titan is her to a tee - so about 5 episodes of "who is it?!" followed by about 2 or 3 of "we know who it is, but how do we stop her!?" seemed excessive. I might have been a bit exaggerating with the numbers but I can't really be bothered to go and look up the synopsis's etc.

Right, I best go keep getting caught up with stuff..

Your complaints with AoT are the same complaints most people have. Ending it where they did was interesting, but things are still being built up. If this was a Shakespeare play we'd have just stopped somewhere in the middle of Act 2 basically.

At the end of the day it was an advertising pitch for the manga, and in that regard it has been a huge success.

KlK ep. 4

Fucking. Insanity. I don't know what I just watched but I enjoyed it.

The animation is weak in a lot of places, as expected from an upstart studio, but they've handled it stylistically so well that it's not glaring in most places.

I think every episode will be 'insanity', and I am ok with that!

Ryoko and Mako are the best duo.

Edit: Beyond The Boundary episode 4 was also good!

Noted Americaphile Shinichiro Watanabe's latest anime and guaranteed hit Space Dandy will air on Toonami in the US before it airs in Japan. We'll never have true simulcasting because the time anime airs in Japan is our late morning/early afternoon, but this is an interesting development. Probably an exception because Watanabe's made it very clear he is targeting this show to the US audience, but the fact Funimation has the ability to get this done is pretty amazing given where we were even 5 years ago as fans.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-25/space-dandy-to-air-on-toonami-before-it-airs-in-japan

Kill La Kill, Episode 4:

da fuq I just watch?

Insanity.

Kill La Kill, ep. 5

This developed a lot of plot. It was a solid episode all around, and after last week's insanity a welcome change of pace.

A lot of people seem to think Mako is the final boss in this show. I don't know if she is, but a lot of the allusions made in this episode make me think the uniforms basically eventually become the mind of their wearer.

Kill La Kill, Episode 4:

da fuq I just watch?

Insanity.

Kill La Kill, ep. 5

This developed a lot of plot. It was a solid episode all around, and after last week's insanity a welcome change of pace.

A lot of people seem to think Mako is the final boss in this show. I don't know if she is, but a lot of the allusions made in this episode make me think the uniforms basically eventually become the mind of their wearer.

People think Mako is the final boss? Weird. I don't see that at all.

Kill La Kill, Episode 4:

da fuq I just watch?

Insanity.

Kill La Kill, ep. 5

People think Mako is the final boss? Weird. I don't see that at all.

People like to think it because it's far-fetched, they can say they were joking if they're wrong or "told you so" if they're right. People spend a lot of time dissecting this to try and show that it's the case.

I do think the school uniforms have a lot to do with how every other student is very obedient, but I'm trying to put a finger on why Mako is the way she is still. She's got a bigger role in the storyline than just "quirky best friend/occasional comic relief"

Not sure if we can ask about this...

Can anyone give me a good link for getting scanlations of manga? Preferably in like, entire packs. I was thinking of continuing stuff like One Piece and Naruto from where I left off years ago as something to read at work, but I have no idea where I could get them. Should probably PM me anyway, but yeah, somewhere I can get this stuff would be great.