Friends

Benji

It's almost four years since it ended and I'm still watching it on a regular basis, I know certain people don't like it but I still think it's one of the best shows to ever be on TV, it holds up so well, the comedy remains quotable, watchable and funny, and it's rounded off perfectly at ten seasons. Even watching a couple of episodes every day it is one of those things I can put on and enjoy no matter what (the same used to be true for stuff like Scrubs, Family Guy and other shows) which puts it in an exclusive group for me along with Blackadder and Futurama. Also, I swear every other guy who likes the show thinks they're Chandler <_<

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the show religiously when it was on, never missed a show, really enjoyed it.... but since the final episode aired, I have not once had the urge to watch an episode at all ever again. Not watched so much as a minute of Friends since. I can only come to the conclusion that I enjoyed it enough to keep watching but not so much so that it became a favourite of mine that I'd watch again.

Mad props to Ross for becoming hilarious during the latter half of the show's run.

Edited by James timMAYy

I've never actually watched the show in any sort of order because when it's on channel 4 on sunday mornings it jumps around a lot between seasons. It's probably my favourite sitcom of all time. The montage in the episode when Joey moves out still cracks me up today with "All By Myself" playing over it and all that stupid furniture that Joey buys for his apartment :lol:

I find I don't enjoy the first season quite so much, however I'm like that on most things. Once I get acustomed to the characters, and their stories (or at the beginnings of them) are established I don't like to go back to before that all happens.

But from then onwards it completely holds up for me. As has been mentioned, it is the show you can just stumble across at any time of the day, any day or night of the week, and instantly get into and enjoy. My girlfriend never watched Friends - by choice anyway, she caught bits and like everyone else has heard of 'Ross and Rachel' and the surrounding saga - yet whenever it's on we can both watch and not feel disjointed by the jumping seasons that are run over here.

I can't think of many other shows that can appeal to such a broad range as Friends does (based on those I know who watched the show), definitely one of my favourite all time TV shows.

Further to my post I will try and add something in a way of character preference discussion. This has mainly been sparked by the above Phoebe love, which I don't get. Anyway, my top 6 would be:

1) Chandler

2) Ross

3) Monica

3) Joey (tied)

5) Phoebe

6) Rachel

Joey would've been higher if it wasn't for his devolution from the simple nice guy of the earlier seasons to 'man of absolutely zero intelligence' later on. I foresee Chandler love being something of a universal - although yes, those who feel the need to quote him constantly and adopt his mannerisms are quite the annoyance. Anyway, compare and contrast.

For me, it's

1 - Phoebe

2 - Monica & Chandler (tie)

3 - Rachel

4 - Ross

5 - Joey

I don't know, but I just don't find Joey funny half of the time. Joey-centric episodes, such as the Porsche one, I can't watch. I think it might be because Matt LeBlanc isn't the best actor in the world, but...bleh. Both Ross & Rachel get funnier from the moment they get married, for some reason - maybe because it put an end to the Ross/Rachel stuff for a good while.

Edited by Katsuya

Also, one thing that always bothered me was Bruce Willis' guest appearances, the guys were obsessed with the films and there was never so much as a passing comment made >_>

I don't like Friends, but I was going to comment on the Bruce Willis episode(s?) just for the sheer Godliness of the following exchange;

"Did your Dad ever hug you, Chandler?"

"...no...did he hug you?"

Edited by Skummy

Also, one thing that always bothered me was Bruce Willis' guest appearances, the guys were obsessed with the films and there was never so much as a passing comment made >_>

Yeah. I never got that either. There was always talk of "DIE HARD!" but when Bruce turned up, no-one thought he looked a little bit like John McClane. Strange. <_<

For character preference...

1. Ross

In the last couple of seasons, he really came into his own as brilliant. The episode were he was "Fine!" with Joey and Rachel while hosting the dinner party was classic; plus some of the stuff with Rachel was brilliantly subtle. Plus who can't love the high-pitched squeaks from time-to-time?

2. Chandler

Potentially spurred by Monica by his side, I thought Chandler got better and better as the seasons went on, as well as gayer and gayer. The one-liners were excellent plus he came across as the kind of guy everybody already has a friend like.

3. Monica

I was pretty meh to Monica, until she got with Chandler. They were a much better couple than Ross and Rachel; and Monica was hilarious. Plus she made me cry with the baby storylines so that was nice.

4. Joey

"Hi, I'm Chandler. Could I BE wearing any more clothes?"

5. Rachel

I like Rachel, and I thought she had some funny bits but she was just bettered by the better characters.

6. Phoebe

I'm still pretty meh to Pheobe. It always annoyed me that she was someone outside of the six, although I would have really been against the idea of her and Joey. She just bugged me overly but saying that she was still awesome at times.

Chandler had his moments, definitely, but I think towards the end he tended to sum up everything wrong with the way the show was going; rather than being sarcastic and witty, it was all self-referential jokes ABOUT Chandler being sarcastic and witty, and it all got a bit pop culture eating itself.

There are so many things about this show that are just brilliant. The way the actors, storylines and everything fell into place was just perfect - if a little lucky.

Wasn't Courtney Cox originally cast as Rachel?

The Chandler jokes towards the end got weirdly more and more gay, culminating in him saying "If I were a guy...did I just say "If I were a guy"?", but he is the funniest of the lot because he's massively flawed and has so many disturbing complexes. If you can keep a straight face through the Thanksgiving flashback scene with the houseboy's "More turkey Mister Chandler?", you have no soul.

Guest EWR 4.2

I've got the Friends boxset un-touched, not because I don't like it anymore, but because it's always on E4 so there's no need to wear it out. As for characters:

1. Chandler - As Benji said, I always thought I was a lot like Chandler in some ways, not that good with girls and almost trying too hard to be funny, b8t he was still my favourite throughout all the seasons.

2. Joey - Joey's stupidity was brilliant and his thing for women really played off well when he was compared to Chandler

3. Phoebe - Wonderfully weird. That's it really...

4. Monica - I hated her in the first few series' untill she got with Chandler and since then she's grown on me.

5. Rachel - Pretty meh really, I didn't think she did a lot except for fall in and out of love with Ross.

6. Ross - Sorry, but I don't like Ross that much but I'm really not sure why ... I just don't.

Wasn't Courtney Cox originally cast as Rachel?

I think you've got it the wrong way round. Jennifer Aniston was originally going to be Monica, but she convinced the writers that she'd be better as Rachel.

Friends is awesome. It's tough to put the characters in order of favourites but if I did I think Chandler, Ross, Joey & Rachel would go 1-4 in some order followed by Monica and then Phoebe. They all have their moments and are all great characters though.