Friends

Benji

Okay...I HATED "Friends"...part of the problem may have been the 'random episodes' channel 4 did...but for whatever reason I started downloading them, in order...and DAMN...I love it!

The weird thing was...I knew about the 'Ross/Rachel' shit...but I never really seemed to catch any of the episodes where it was prominent...so whilst I 'knew' it was a big deal, I never really 'knew' it was a big deal...if you catch my drift. :shifty:

Anyways...I'm coming to the end of Season 4 and I already feel the quality slipping somewhat. I've heard it picks back up in the later series...but I dunno, it's kind of gotten bland. 1 and 2 were awesome. 3 and 4 are both somewhat hit and miss (With 3 being much better), with some great episodes, but some dull ones.

The thing about Friends is that episodes can be storyline oriented (for a network sitcom, I mean) and a lot of the jokes as the season go one become more "inside" to people who follow the show. Obviously there are the random events and smaller scale stories, but usually there is a big storyline taking place in each episode that would to string episodes together to follow from the current season or even previous seasons. Friends is a show that plays a lot on past events and knowing characters histories and personalities. Again, for a network sitcom, not comparing it highbrow, brilliantly written programing. So yeah, catching a random episode when you're not really fan isn't the greatest way to watch it.

Am I the only one who would have preferred the last episode ending with Rachel going to Paris, without all that phone call mumbojumbo?

As a fan, I loved the way the series ended, no matter how lame and predictable it was. Realistically, Friends was ready to pack it in between seasons 7-9. it seemed like seasons 9 and 10 were done purely for the fans who kept the show relevant and successful even though they were getting on in the years. Season 10 especially. The series was milked creatively for all it was worth, the Ross/Rachel baby story in season 8 was the last original storyline for the show. The jokes in the last few seasons are campier, much more fan related and "popcorn" funny, very much a tribute to all the people who'd watched over the years. To have to show go out on any other way would have been horrible.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely loved the bit at the very end...

Monica: "You know, at some point, we've all lived in this apartment..."

Ross: "Uh... I haven't."

Monica: "Sure you have. Remember the summer you tried to make it as a dancer..."

Ross: "You know, I nearly made it ten years without that coming out..."

I absolutely loved the bit at the very end...

Monica: "You know, at some point, we've all lived in this apartment..."

Ross: "Uh... I haven't."

Monica: "Sure you have. Remember the summer you tried to make it as a dancer..."

Ross: "You know, I nearly made it ten years without that coming out..."

No, the best line is literally the very best line when they say they'll go for coffee and Chandler's last line being "Where?", I cracked up so hard between sad thoughts.

Friends are the best sitcom. Period. I'm such a maniac, I literally cried after the show ended... Partly because Ross and Rachel came back together, MonDler had babies and stuff... But more importantly, it was the last f'n episode, and I want MORE, DAMMIT, MORE!! :(

My ranking would be like this:

1. Chandler [Funny as hell, and those gay moments really suited the character :P]

2. Ross [iMO the best actor on the show... he could act with a tree as a partner and still be successful]

3. Rachel [Well, she's hot, plus she had many great moments, some of 'em were pretty hilarous]

4. Joey [i always liked Joey the best, from the beginning, but later, when I grown up a little I've seen the painful truth - the character doesn't have too much depth, if it has... Matt LeBlanc couldn't show it]

5. Monica [i KNOW!]

6. Phoebe [Pretty funny, really weird, and overally good, but not really in other's league...]

I was watching episodes the past few days, the one where Ross goes to get a tan is quality and it keeps spraying his face. And the one with the horrible painting by Phoebe with Monica and Rachel arguing over it, it's hilarious. Oh, and when Rachel's sister go Emma's ears piereced and Chandler said; "Hey! Monica is fun with organized indoor activities!"

And Joey in the Japanese lipstick commercial. Priceless moments.

There are so many single Chandler lines that I love.

From TOW Phoebe's Ex-Partner, when they are watching the singer who turns out to be Phoebe's old singing partner.

Chandler: I like her.

Phoebe: Why, because she can sing and play guitar and do both at the same time?

Chandler: ...Well, that’s pretty much all I’m looking for from these people.

Five years ago, I had never seen an episode. However, my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) made me sit down and watch a few episodes. I always assumed it was a chick show, and never bothered with it. We now own all ten seasons on DVD and I've seen every episode atleast a dozen times. I'm untouchable in Friends Scene It, as well. It's a sad obsession, but it gives me great joy.

It's funny, a lot of people who love Friends liken their fandom to a sad obsession. Me included. I honestly think nothing starts a day off work or school quite like sitting my ass in front TV, drinking coffee and watching a two hour block of Friends. After watching morning sports highlights, of course.

We are a sad breed.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

In rankings of humour:

1 - Joey

2 - Chandler

3 - Phoebe

4 - Monica

5 - Ross

6 - Rachel

In ranking of attractiveness:

1 - Phoebe

2 - Rachel

3 - Monica

4 - Joey

5 - Chandler

6 - Ross

Ross just isn't that funny to me until later on

I'm sorry...say what you want...but Jennifer Anniston is hands down the best person on "Friends". It's not just the fact she's banging why she's probably the most 'succesful' post "Friends", acting wise, she's just head and shoulders above the rest. She's the only one who I really feel like her character is 'real', with the exception of early Joey (but he too is becoming really caricaturey). One thing...the keeping her and Ross apart thing is seeming 'forced' by this point, I'm just reaching the end of Season 7.

People who say Joey isn't a deep character are fucking retarded. Joey's an amazing character and is a lot more three dimensional than a lot of the other cast. In order how I rank them as of "Season 7: Episode 19".

1. Rachel

2. Joey

3. Ross

4. Phoebe

5. Monica

6. Chandler

Don't get me wrong...I don't hate Chandler...it's just...he seems so 'cartoony'...it's like...not natural...the way he says stuff, what he says...bah..whatever. He's funny though.

And I've now decided, "The One Where No One's Ready" is my favourite episode. Fucking hilarious. It's all the little things that make "Friends" so great, rolled into one episode...based solely (besides the end 'skit') in the main area of Monica/Rachel's appartment...just the six...the dialogue is great...the Joey/Chandler stuff is especially fantastic.

Maybe it's simply because I'm hard in the pants for her, but I think people overlook how funny Jennifer Aniston is on Friends. EDIT: Shit, just as YI posted the bit about Jen, I agree with him unknowingly right away) I think Monica is the least funny, but later on she and Chandler play off really well of each other, leading to her funnier moments in the entire series.

I'll agree that Ross didn't get funny until the series went on. I think he started to get funny around late season 3 after the break up. He seemed started to lose the innocence he had when the show first started. Then season 5 showcased "psycho" Ross, where he started to develop an ability to freak out over anything and everything, also which shed most of his remaining early series character skin. Then after that he got molded into Ross in his most common form. He become the paranoid, sometimes flamboyant, divorce force with a knack for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and who you can't help but pity because most of the time shit doesn't go his way.

I think about this way too much.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Chandler and Ross are my favourites. It used to be Chandler, as I could relate to the sarcasm but recently I think it's Ross as my favourite.

Simply because I find them the funniest, and I watch Friends to be entertained obviously.

The scene that always cracked me up was when Chandler is wearing a Santa Claus outfit and Ross is wearing a turtle/armadillo hybrid

Chandler: "I've come by to say Merry Christmas to my good buddy Ben. And what are you doing here Weird...Turtle man?"

Also

Rachel: My god its like the easter bunnys funeral in here

That's gotta be my favourite scene from the show ever. I totally crack up every time at all of it. I absolutely love Friends, always thought it was the best sitcom in the history of sitcoms, and it's probably my second favourite tv series behind Bones.

Character preference wise, I'd go with

1. Chandler

-Hilarious throughout pretty much all 10 seasons, he was great in later seasons with Monica, and he and Ross always seemed to have a good chemistry too.

2. Ross

-He got funnier as the show progressed through the seasons and had some really funny moments i.e the Holiday Armadillo one and that time he went mental over his sandwich and got suspended from work.

3. Monica

-I absolutely loved her neat-freak character and she was best when she was with Chandler.

4. Joey

-I actually really enjoyed the 'dumbest guy on earth' character he became, he was fantastic throughout the series, especially with Phoebe.

5. Rachel

-She never really did a great deal, but I thought she was good after she had Emma.

6. Phoebe

-A bit too weird, I didn't really 'get' her character half the time, and she didn't really seem to fit in with the group too much.