WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

No. You're stuck with the first six you obtain. The stupid fucking problem that THQ seemingly has to include in every game for no real reason.

Hopefully it'll be fixed with the stat patch, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my X-Box and the game today. Made the mistake of testing to see how my live connection was before I did anything else, worst decision ever. Ended up getting beaten to a pulp, although I wasn't annoyed because of that, I was annoyed that there's still idiots who play online and do the same old shit as always. Some guy did five spears in a row and that's about it. Like others have said, I just don't understand how that's fun. I play the game to enjoy it and so on, just don't get why people play like that.

Anyway, first impressions of the game is that it's really good. First one I've played since 2006, changed a whole lot. Got a lot to get used to as I'm not used to the X Box stuff, usually play it on Playstation. The camera angle during matches is very different and hard to get used to, but it's growing on me already. Obviously the games a big deal to me since I haven't played a Smackdown in some time, loving this. Checked out the CAF, simply looks awesome. Going to take a while to get good at, but I'm loving it so far. Bit too easy on normal I find, but I'm a bit scared to step up to hard so quickly, but we'll see. I love the hardcore matches and that there's ladders thrown in there now, great touch (Probably been done a year or two now, but I haven't played the previous ones, so yeah).

So, anybody want to give me any tips on certain gameplay and special things I probably don't know about? I'm talking about special moves maybe with weapons and stuff. Like I said, I'm really new to this seeings though I haven't played it in so long, so there's a lot to pick up on. Anything major I should know about for certain matches and so on? Not spoilers or anything, but just those little awesome extra things thrown into the matches.

Feels at such a better pace with the matches rather than over the top speed stuff, which is another plus compared to the last time I played a Smackdown. Overall, still alot to see as I've only played a few matches, but so far I simply love this game (Y)

So... assuming that my 360 comes back at some point, this game definitely seems to be getting good reviews. As it's been a couple of years since I played an SD game, I'd like to think I'd be able to pick up the controls without getting too conflicted with previous games, which was one of my big issues when the switch was made from buttons to analog grapples.

A couple of questions, though, if someone has time:

* Do CAWs start at a competitive level? Or can I expect to start with a 35 point CAW when the lowest superstar is about 75?

* Are cruiserweights competitive against larger wrestlers? I don't expect to be trading power moves as Kendrick against Big Show - but being able to hurt him with my big moves would be nice.

* Is there a Diva season mode?

* Is the commentary any good this year?

Thanks for any help!

* Do CAWs start at a competitive level? Or can I expect to start with a 35 point CAW when the lowest superstar is about 75?

Career mode is what you have to go through to build up your CAW, there's a patch coming January to allow you tof reely edit CAWs

* Are cruiserweights competitive against larger wrestlers? I don't expect to be trading power moves as Kendrick against Big Show - but being able to hurt him with my big moves would be nice.

Not really, the weight limits are either out, or at least toned down, but it'll take a while to beat down a bigger guy, and if he smacks you about a bit, you're doomed

* Is there a Diva season mode?

:lol:

* Is the commentary any good this year?

:lol:

Started Jericho's RTWM first and it's pretty awesome. I love the little suspect thing where you go around questioning people, and the promo with Michaels backstage is fantastic. Didn't expect the masked man to be Orton though as it seemed too obvious. Nearly at the end so maybe there's a twist or two left, I'll have to see.

Also, is there anyway to do anything other than elbow drops off the top of the cage? I was hoping they'd put it in so you could do the swanton, but I'm guessing you cant.

Edit: How do you do special stuff with the weapons? I've seen people drag them along, stamp your leg into chairs and so on. Do you have to have the hardcore special ability thing or can anybody do it? Never played it since they added this feauture and the manual or game doesn't seem to explain it what so ever, so can anybody help me out? Edited by Dirty Johnny 27

You have to have the hardcore ability. When your opponent is on the mat, pick up a chair, walk over to them and press A (it will say to press A for Action under your status bar) then press X to stamp on the chair, but beware they can reverse it. There's others as well like setting tables on fire and double stacking tables but I've not done them yet.

So, I was playing through Career Mode the other day and I had the best match I've probably ever had in any Smackdown game, maybe even wrestling games in general aside from a handful of epics in Fire Pro.

So, here's the story.

Will Kemp vs. Jeff Hardy for the #1 Contendership for the World Heavyweight Title in a Hell in a Cell. This really should have been on PPV as opposed to on Smackdown.

Basically, I got the everloving SHIT beat out of me. The match went on for thirty-five minutes with highlights including a Twist of Fate through an announce table, then Hardy hitting suplex off the top of the cell, putting me through the other announce table. Hardy wasn't done there either, he hit another Twist of Fate on top of the cell, sending me crashing to the mat below. After another five or so minutes of being beat down, and probably three or four extremely close two-counts, I finally built up enough momentum to hit my finisher, ONLY FOR IT TO BE REVERSED. Jeff hit another Twist of Fate, but luckily enough I was saved by a rope break. Finally, I hit my finisher, the WTF. It's rather hard to explain without the game in front of me, but it's a double underhook suplex, then an Angel's Wings to follow that. And Hardy was put down. I was all red by that point and bleeding buckets, while he was surprisingly unscathed. A few days later at One Night Stand I faced Edge in a TLC match and won in about twenty minutes.

So, I was playing through Career Mode the other day and I had the best match I've probably ever had in any Smackdown game, maybe even wrestling games in general aside from a handful of epics in Fire Pro.

So, here's the story.

Will Kemp vs. Jeff Hardy for the #1 Contendership for the World Heavyweight Title in a Hell in a Cell. This really should have been on PPV as opposed to on Smackdown.

Basically, I got the everloving SHIT beat out of me. The match went on for thirty-five minutes with highlights including a Twist of Fate through an announce table, then Hardy hitting suplex off the top of the cell, putting me through the other announce table. Hardy wasn't done there either, he hit another Twist of Fate on top of the cell, sending me crashing to the mat below. After another five or so minutes of being beat down, and probably three or four extremely close two-counts, I finally built up enough momentum to hit my finisher, ONLY FOR IT TO BE REVERSED. Jeff hit another Twist of Fate, but luckily enough I was saved by a rope break. Finally, I hit my finisher, the WTF. It's rather hard to explain without the game in front of me, but it's a double underhook suplex, then an Angel's Wings to follow that. And Hardy was put down. I was all red by that point and bleeding buckets, while he was surprisingly unscathed. A few days later at One Night Stand I faced Edge in a TLC match and won in about twenty minutes.

That sounds quite awesome. Jericho against Orton is about the best match I've had with it lasting about twenty minutes. Just the problem is that on normal, it feels like the computer is never going to challenge you. Yet you stick it on hard and it feels like the computer reverses three quarter of the moves you attempt. Would it be a good idea to fiddle about with the options and possibly change a few things to pull out better matches? I'm talking about how quick you can build a special or how quick your body gets damaged (If that's changable, swear I thought it was). Hard is much better but it really can become annoying when they're nonstop reversing.

As for online, had some great matches with some people who want to enjoy the game, then had matches where people just play to try and win within a minute, which I hate. Already encountered people with finishers that last a minute for fuck sake.

Edit: Oh and how are people like Bourne and so on downloadable? Or are they not yet?

Edited by Dirty Johnny 27

hey there peeps i guess i completed this a few days ago so i thought hmm caws now what im wondering is ive got this game on ps2 and looking through the many caws i noticed that ps3 caws are not that different in way they are wrote out, so im just wondering if you use the form of a ps3 caw on a ps2 game would the results still be alright?