WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ, playing this game online is one of the most frustrating things you can do with your life. The amount of "players" who abuse Fists of Fury and the Create-A-Finisher mode (I've seen countless amounts of 1 minute finishers already) is ridiculous. It really takes the fun out of the game for me.

And I dunno about you guys, but does the reversal rate seem significantly lower this year? I'm bashing the R2 or L2 button and still I'm being pummeled, anybody else have this problem?

Christ, playing this game online is one of the most frustrating things you can do with your life. The amount of "players" who abuse Fists of Fury and the Create-A-Finisher mode (I've seen countless amounts of 1 minute finishers already) is ridiculous. It really takes the fun out of the game for me.

And I dunno about you guys, but does the reversal rate seem significantly lower this year? I'm bashing the R2 or L2 button and still I'm being pummeled, anybody else have this problem?

Yes and yet I find online that so many other people can reverse nonstop, yet even if I tap the buttons 100 times in the space of five seconds, I still cant reverse that much, which is weird. I've found a few decent people online and added them as friends, people who actually want to play the game for fun and have a decent match. Yet you're right, the majority of people come across as idiots who care about nothing but rankings and want to end the match within a minute. It pisses me off more because when I come across those people, it makes me try to win within a minute, because I know that if I don't, they will. If you're playing on 360, add me as I'm interested in finding as many people as possible who want to have some good matches.

Oh and I changed the reversal stuff and made the game harder, hard as shit in match mode, but it seems totally different and easy in career? Do the stats apply to the career mode? I haven't been challenged once in career, yet it's pretty hard when I play in match mode, which I find quite weird.

And does anybody know how to acquire the springboard technique thing in career mode for your character? I mean where you can springboard off the ropes of course, cant work out how to do it.

Ah, there I can help you man. I don't think difficulty settings apply in career mode, and are set off as easy at the start, but progessively get harder as you go forward, for instance, a match with Randy Orton for the WWE Title will be more challenging than a match with Chuck Palumbo to move up the rankings in the U.S. Title path.

And I'd add ya man, but I have a PS3 =)

Figure I'd post these two links here that I have, one has everything you need to do to unlock an ability, and the other tells you how to increase stats in the ideal fields in Career Mode.

Career Mode Stats

Obtaining Abilities

I had a fucking class match in the US Title path as The Great Khali against Shelton Benjamin...no disqualifications, started out utterly in control, absolutely dominating him, threw him out of the ring and started battering him against the steps, before bringing a chair into the ring and just picking him apart. He manages to counter, though, and just lays into me with the chair for probably a good two minutes before I get it back off him, Pillmanize his neck, then pick him up and get him in a Vice Grip, try and pin him, but it's a rope break. Crack him with the chair, busting him open, and throw him into the corner, powerbomb him into the turnbuckle, and go for a cover again...he kicks out, so I pick him up and kick him in the gut, for a big boot, but he counters, spins me round and hits the Dragon Whip, busting me open, and makes the cover for the win. Probably didn't do it justice, but it was the first match on this game to feel genuinely epic.

Yes and yet I find online that so many other people can reverse nonstop, yet even if I tap the buttons 100 times in the space of five seconds, I still cant reverse that much, which is weird. I've found a few decent people online and added them as friends, people who actually want to play the game for fun and have a decent match. Yet you're right, the majority of people come across as idiots who care about nothing but rankings and want to end the match within a minute. It pisses me off more because when I come across those people, it makes me try to win within a minute, because I know that if I don't, they will. If you're playing on 360, add me as I'm interested in finding as many people as possible who want to have some good matches.

Oh and I changed the reversal stuff and made the game harder, hard as shit in match mode, but it seems totally different and easy in career? Do the stats apply to the career mode? I haven't been challenged once in career, yet it's pretty hard when I play in match mode, which I find quite weird.

And does anybody know how to acquire the springboard technique thing in career mode for your character? I mean where you can springboard off the ropes of course, cant work out how to do it.

Mashing the buttons on reversals will not work, it's all timing.

I have played some real awesome matches with my friends. 4 Way Ladder matches get intense, especially when the belt is ready to drop and you know the next guy to get on top of a ladder will win. Hitting my brother with a suplex off a ladder and to the outside of the ring - priceless.

Mashing the buttons on reversals will not work, it's all timing.

I'm glad you say that, because I was hoping that was the case. I do that. I tried the mashing, just the same. I tried timing, still the same. And when playing online with somebody with a mic, all you hear is them tapping the shit out of their buttons and reversing nine times out of ten. It's a bit annoying because I find it hard to do a strong grapple, because they nearly always get reversed. And what is it with the majority just running round the ring doing flying moves?

Must say that when you do find people who aren't idiotic though, it's really awesome. Had a four way ladder match and for the first time, not a single ladder had been touched for the first ten minutes of the match. Also, four way cage matches are surely the hardest match to play online. Just drains my energy because they seem to last near on an hour, although I'm not complaining too much I guess.

Seeing as we're talking countering and it's not covered in the manual, I'll ask here - how are you meant to reverse ultimate control moves? Are you meant to try and press counter when the opponent goes to actually do a move? Or do you use the right stick? I've countered a few, but it seems to have been entirely through fluke button-mashing...

Couple of random questions:

1 - Is MITB intentionally meant to be so hard or am I missing something? I've tried it twice and both matches have gone over 45 minutes before I quit, and I don't think the briefcase meter was even down by 10%.

2 - I remember in the old games that during submission matches the pinfall button would automatically do a generic submission...is there anything like that in this game? I had a match between two guys without submission finishers and there seemed to be no way of actually ending the match?

^ For UCM reversals, hit the action buttons repeatedly, your player will usually punch them in the gut or something and throw them off balance, at this point, start shaking the right analog stick, and it should reverse.

As for the other questions, not sure about number 2 but for number 1 you've pretty much hit the nail in the head, your best hope is just to go balls out and keep climbing for that briefcase, because in the first 5 minutes everybody usually ends up in red. I suggest storing a signature move so when another person climbs up the ladder to join you, you can hit them off immediately.

I'm glad you say that, because I was hoping that was the case. I do that. I tried the mashing, just the same. I tried timing, still the same. And when playing online with somebody with a mic, all you hear is them tapping the shit out of their buttons and reversing nine times out of ten. It's a bit annoying because I find it hard to do a strong grapple, because they nearly always get reversed. And what is it with the majority just running round the ring doing flying moves?

Must say that when you do find people who aren't idiotic though, it's really awesome. Had a four way ladder match and for the first time, not a single ladder had been touched for the first ten minutes of the match. Also, four way cage matches are surely the hardest match to play online. Just drains my energy because they seem to last near on an hour, although I'm not complaining too much I guess.

Mashing the button online works sometimes because of the lag, it's pretty much down to luck if there's a lot of lag. I would guess people do flying moves because there's less time/they're harder to reverse than regular moves. Less predictable to guess the timing.

Honestly, is there NO way to change the difficulty in career? I'm finding it almost unplayable. I've won the ECW and US Title and honestly haven't had a single challenge what so ever thus far. I've pretty much had to allow my opponent to do a few moves on me, otherwise they'd all have been matches where I'd have not been hit once. I've got the difficulty up to Legend in game options now, and it hasn't changed a thing. Somebody said it gets harder as you progress, but honestly, it hasn't really got harder one bit so far. I'm not really interested in even playing career if every match is going to be me beating up my opponent nonstop.

Also, anybody know any good CAW sites? Not something I usually do, but I might create a few people this time around and see how it goes.

Well no, I'm not that great at the game at all. I wasn't saying it in that way, I was asking to see if the difficulty made a difference as it doesn't feel it does. In match mode hard is great for me, yet it doesn't reflect that in career, so no need to act like I'm being a dick when I'm not.

Honestly, is there NO way to change the difficulty in career? I'm finding it almost unplayable. I've won the ECW and US Title and honestly haven't had a single challenge what so ever thus far. I've pretty much had to allow my opponent to do a few moves on me, otherwise they'd all have been matches where I'd have not been hit once. I've got the difficulty up to Legend in game options now, and it hasn't changed a thing. Somebody said it gets harder as you progress, but honestly, it hasn't really got harder one bit so far. I'm not really interested in even playing career if every match is going to be me beating up my opponent nonstop.

Also, anybody know any good CAW sites? Not something I usually do, but I might create a few people this time around and see how it goes.

To be honest, I've only really used Career Mode to build up stats on my CAWs, and I think that is primarily why the mode was designed. Because in the case of CAWs, you're starting off with a 36(?) and progessing from there. Trying to obtain challenges and build specific stats is quite frustrating, even when your opponent is a punching bag. So, I'd imagine that is why the difficulty is so low in the first couple of championship paths. It should get more entertaining around the World Championship path.

And caws.ws seems to be the main CAW site, so there's your best chance.