WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, is there NO way to change the difficulty in career? I'm finding it almost unplayable. I've won the ECW and US Title and honestly haven't had a single challenge what so ever thus far. I've pretty much had to allow my opponent to do a few moves on me, otherwise they'd all have been matches where I'd have not been hit once. I've got the difficulty up to Legend in game options now, and it hasn't changed a thing. Somebody said it gets harder as you progress, but honestly, it hasn't really got harder one bit so far. I'm not really interested in even playing career if every match is going to be me beating up my opponent nonstop.

Also, anybody know any good CAW sites? Not something I usually do, but I might create a few people this time around and see how it goes.

How far have you played? I've been playing through with Jeff Hardy and it took me about 20 miniutes to beat Kane and don't even get me started on Big Show :x I ended up having to get a cheap win by playing a Cage match, hitting him with a Whisper in the Wind and get the fuck out of the cage as quickly as possible, and he was up by the time I was almost getting out.

I seem to recall Triple H & Randy Orton being fucking pains as well. Maybe I'm just not that good, but Trips was almost unbeatable for me. I played in a HITC, I was red throughout the majority of the match and when it came to about the 30 min mark, I had to resort to running away, hitting HHH with the ring bell, waiting for him to get back up... repeat. Couldn't hit a single move. Eventually I took him up to the top of the Cell and put him through it with a Twist of Fate for the victory, but it still took me atleast 40 mins.

Was fun :)

Maybe I'm just terrible, but give it some time and go for the main Championships, they're the most challenging.

...And the rumble. I hate the rumble. ¬_¬

I came in 3rd, survived all the way up to being the final 2, with me and Edge, I threw Edge out... he survived the knock out process, got back in, threw me out the ropes and eliminated me. That was just plain annoying.

Also to whoever asked about MITB matches, I find that the only possible way to beat them that doesn't involve pure luck is to Stack one of the Ladders on the entrance ramp and grab the other one for yourself. The AI will go to fetch the other ladder, leaving you free to climb up and get the belt. But even using my cheap ass method you'll find yourself having to weaken the others to slow them down (getting them all Red) and repeating the process of climbing the ladder... holding on... getting off the ladder and packing it up when the AI starts to head back to the ring, wait for them to go back up ramp... get back on etc.

MITB I'm cool with it being freakin' impossible, but I miss the old Rumble system. :(

Agreed, whichever game it was a few years back with the HUGE ring out bars had Rumbles spot on. I never touch them now, it's silly how small the bar is and how quickly it empties.

Got to giggle, I was John Morrison and won the WWE Championship in a three-way with Edge and Jeff Hardy. I randomly facwe JTG who counters 100x more than Edge or Jeff ever did and comes close-ish to scoring an upset. I both love and hate the randomness of the game deciding some randomer is going to be amazing....for ONE match, and main eventers are going to be easy..... for ONE match.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I haven't played a SmackDown! game since the 2007 version, but I picked this up today on a whim at my local mom 'n pop game store.

It's decent. Nothing outrageous or offensive, it's just fun. I've only fiddled with Create A Finisher and made one move. I'm currently playing through Jericho's RTW mode, it's pretty fun and adds alot to the "story mode". Too bad I read the spoilers about his storyline, but oh well. I was right pissed off about the match at Royal Rumble.

The difficulty is annoying. My first match I was Orton against Rhodes in just an exhibition match, and it was a slaughter. I tried Hard and it was full of reversals, so I'll probably use Will's slider bars and test 'em out.

I think the difficulty is brilliant. I can play as Orton, and rather conclusively beat Punk, but he'll come DAMN close to hitting me with the GTS once or twice. Of course, I once had a last man standing match, Triple H vs Orton for the WWE championship that just went on and on and on. Had to hit him with a spinebuster, then a sledgehammer shot, THEN about the third pedigree of the match just to keep him down. Felt good though, especially after he punted me in the head on the entrance ramp, I thought it was over then. Most balanced gameplay in a Smackdown game, I think.

So I'm probably going to go and rent this today (I have a day off, and I had a bit of fun with the demo last night). As someone who hasn't played a SDvR game properly in years, I'm fine with most of the controls but the shoulder button reversals (I'm playing on PS3) seem pretty counter-intuitive, what with the apparent need to mash them and the L2/R2 buttons on a PS3 controller having seemindly been designed to prevent mashing.

Any tips in that regard?

Edit: They didn't have any rental copies in stock. :( Blah.

Edited by stokeriño

this is the first time i haven't brought a Smackdown game in ages as i normally get them but been contemplating...

What is the general feeling of the game good or bad? Is it just the exact same as last years? Is story mode any good etc etc. Is it difficult? (Was sick of easy matches even on the hardest difficulty last year)

I remember having a hour long match on Story Mode on last years i think it was or the year before where you had to face Undertaker in a buried alive match and it was on the hardest difficulty and it went on for 57minutes thinking when will he just give in!!!!! Eventually after like a million shots with the shovel i finally won. It's matches like that which made me like the game

This is the best SvR since Here Comes the Pain, I might even go so far as to say it's the best SD to date, but I've never been a huge fan of the series, so my opinion may be a bit skewed. It's a good game, not great, but the gameplay is pretty much perfected at this point. All they need to work on in the future is improving existing modes (Career, Royal Rumble, Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber, etc.), adding more moves (stop taking them out you fuckers!) and expand on the Road to WrestleMania mode and they'll have the perfect WWE game.

So I'm probably going to go and rent this today (I have a day off, and I had a bit of fun with the demo last night). As someone who hasn't played a SDvR game properly in years, I'm fine with most of the controls but the shoulder button reversals (I'm playing on PS3) seem pretty counter-intuitive, what with the apparent need to mash them and the L2/R2 buttons on a PS3 controller having seemindly been designed to prevent mashing.

Any tips in that regard?

Edit: They didn't have any rental copies in stock. :( Blah.

Button mashing won't work, it's all about timing for reversals.

Has this come down in price yet anywhere (UK)? Or where is it cheapest atm?

It's only been out for a few weeks. o_O

Anyway, unlocked move set one last night. As much as I love this game, Batista and Rey's RTWM is a bitch.

Anyone made any CAWs yet aside from themselves? I've made Mick Foley/Cactus Jack, and I'm in the process of making KENTA along with the WWE version of Brock.

Has this come down in price yet anywhere (UK)? Or where is it cheapest atm?

It's only been out for a few weeks. o_O

The last couple of games have been reduced by some shops over here, if only for a week or two during late November/early December the year of their release. Seems to be a pretty regular thing that it drops by £10 or so, then back up to the full £40 for Christmas.

I've done Jericho and Punk's Road To WrestleMania. Like I said before, the reveal for Jericho's code would have been better if I didn't read the spoilers about it awhile ago, but Punk's was mildly entertaining. I knew where it was going the whole time after the Royal Rumble match, but it was pretty cool. Fuck, I love the Anaconda Vice. It's shit-hot.

I've created one CAW already, "Vlad", just something I threw together in 5 minutes to fuck around. The advanced create an entrance is mind boggling. I don't like it, I probably never will. I'll probably end up deleting Vlad and making real CAWs soon enough.

Definitely a fun game, though.