Doctor Who

Benji

The point of the companion is to be a viewer proxy; a normal person for the Doctor to explain things to when he comes across weird stuff and alien technology and whatnot. The entire point of the character is to be a normal person from the present day.

• Like 1

Yeah, like I say, I get that and thunk it's a sensible idea, but the classic series had companions that broke that mould and changed things up a bit and I've never been lost watching those episodes. If you did it when having three companions it might add an extra dynamic. Jack was that briefly.

They may be there for the point of the viewer but that does not mean they all have to be from the present day Earth. There have been many companions from other time zones in Earths history or from other planets, the fact they are not from the present day should not detract from a viewers connection, what would do that would be a weak back story. I could personally buy into any character as long as its done properly, I'd love to see a historical character cause you still have to explain to them the same as you would from someoen in the present day is you go into the future or to other planets it just adds a different dynamic if you put them in a modern setting, its the same with futuristic companions but in reverse, they may know about various points in history for the Earth and then be a part of something that was not in the history books.

One good example of this is from Rememberence of the Daleks where Ace from the present day mentions that if there was a dalek invasion in the 60's she would have known about it only for the Doctor to bring up the Great Intelligence invasion of the underground (Web of Fear, present days 60's) and that the Loch Ness monster was seen in the river Thames (Terror of the Zygons, present day 70's) and she is completly confused.

The point of the companion is to be a viewer proxy; a normal person for the Doctor to explain things to when he comes across weird stuff and alien technology and whatnot. The entire point of the character is to be a normal person from the present day.

Yet another reason it's nice to have more than one companion.

I've only dipped in and out of New Who occasionally since it came back but to me at least Jenna-Louise Coleman is about the most attractive companion since say Elizabeth Sladen and Louise Jameson.

Not entirely sure why I don't really find Bilie Piper attractive but it could be the general chavy feel of the character. As far as the other new companions go, I either don't really have much point of reference for them or I don't really find them attractive.

• Admin

Nothing stuck up about it. The image is fine if you're not viewing it at your office, but otherwise it should probably be avoided

Correct. Especially if you're not expecting it and your computer monitor faces a news room studio which is constantly on camera.

• Like 1

Depends on your view really, I wouldent say its NSFW since nothing is showing but will add spoilers for those rather stuck up who would argue any type of flesh on show is NSFW.

You'e never had a job, have you?

• Like 5