Doctor Who

Benji

The episodes so far this series really do seem to be paint-by-numbers Doctor Who.

1. New and confused doctor

2. Daleks

3. Gallivanting around with X famous historical figure (bonus points if English)

4. Horror episode

Still on track. :shifty:

A scene depicting beheading has been edited cut from todays episode.

Source: BBC News

A follow on from this here is details on the scene cut from the episode, be warned this does contain plot spoilers

A scene cut from Robot of Sherwood though concerns over sensitivity would have made the nature of Ben Miller’s character more clear than in the broadcast version.

The “beheading scene” during the episode’s climatic fight sequence between Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham originally featured Robin beheading the Sheriff after the Doctor and Clara threw a bag over his head. Continuing to talk, it became clear the Sheriff was a robot or at least partly robotic.

Clara was subsequently taken hostage by the headless robot, releasing her when Robin Hood threw the head at him. Restoring his head, we then transition into the broadcast version, adequately explaining Ben Miller’s “Half man, half engine” line.

There has been no word on whether these scenes will be restored in future DVD/BluRay releases or future repeat broadcasts.

Source: Doctor Who Worldwide

I actually quite liked that one, aside from the deus ex machina ending. Capaldi was great, the dynamic was genuinely quite funny, though Clara continues to be a decidedly generic companion. It was a filler episode of "The Doctor romps around with historical figure, involves sci-fi nonsense somehow", which we get every single series, and there have been much, much worse than that one.

Horror episode next week so, yeah, still Doctor Who by numbers, but looks half-decent. Moffat's always been good with very basic horror; ideas of what happens when you're not looking, what's in the corner of your eye, what's lurking in the dark and so on, and it looks to be more of the same, so should be good.

• Like 2

Quite an important episode in proving that it's not all going to be gloomy with Capaldi and achieved its sole aim of being a bit of amusement between a sombre dalek episode and next week's terror. Some rather wonderful references.

My only quibble is last week Clara wasn't sure if the Doctor was a good man and here she considered the Doctor to be her ultimate impossible hero. I'm not sure about that one.

• Like 1

Showrunning rather than writing, I'd say - when you have different episodes in a series written by completely different people (this one was written by Gatiss, while episodes 1, 2 or 4 were all partly or completely by Moffat), it's up to the main showrunner to piece them all together in an appropriate order and order any dialogue tweaks that are necessary to keep continuity. He'll be the only one with full sight of that, after all.

• Like 1

Not bad, couple of your facts are off though (see spoiler) but beyond that seems to cover all the good things, good seeing Chef Excellence.

- The whole thing about the Doctor being really old didnt come in till later in the canon, an actual age wasnt added till Tomb of the Cybermen of aroung 450.

- Capaldi is older than Hartnell.

- To pad out the daleks they used cutouts not inflaitables, the only time they used 3D stand ins was in the chase when they borrowed some of the movie ones as static props.

Re-Mastered Episodes Of Doctor Who On Horror Channel This Autumn

Following the success of the Who On Horror season, that saw 30 classic Doctor Who stories broadcast on Horror Channel, BBC Worldwide and Horror Channel have agreed to an additional set of 17 re-mastered episodes, starting on Monday 13th October.

For the first time on UK television, Horror Channel viewers will be able to watch re-mastered episodes that were only released on DVD by BBC Worldwide last year. There will be more from the Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee eras with additional stories featuring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy.

The iconic adventures continue with the Doctor Who and The Silurians serial, starring Jon Pertwee as the Doctor and his roadster, Bessie. The series then leads into weekday double-bills in daytime and evening slots.

Available to watch from October are such stories as Inferno, Carnival of Monsters, The Time Warrior, The Sontaran Experiment, The Sun Makers, and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

Alina Florea, Director of Programming for Horror Channel, said today: Its been great to be able to offer our regular fans the classic Doctor Who content, but its equally exciting to see Time Lord devotees flock to Horror Channel in greater number and take part in the various on and off air activities that resulted in a surge in viewership and social media interaction. With the newer batch of re-mastered episodes, there will be even more reasons for our viewers to tune in and stick around for more fright, thrill and shock.

Who On Horror has attracted over 3.8 million people since its launch in April.

Source: HorrorChannel.co.uk

They started running them in order but when they got through them it became more of fitting into the schedule, to be honest as long as the story is order personally I don't mind being out of sequence since beyond a few points they didnt have much of a continuing story arc, the only ones I can think of the the Metebelis and Key to Time story arcs.

Not bad, couple of your facts are off though (see spoiler) but beyond that seems to cover all the good things, good seeing Chef Excellence.

- The whole thing about the Doctor being really old didnt come in till later in the canon, an actual age wasnt added till Tomb of the Cybermen of aroung 450.

- Capaldi is older than Hartnell.

- To pad out the daleks they used cutouts not inflaitables, the only time they used 3D stand ins was in the chase when they borrowed some of the movie ones as static props.

I knew this one would be the one where I miss stuff. For any errors I blame the Doctor Who expert on my crew. :P

Sidney Newman mentions the Doctor being "a senile old man" over 700 years old in an interview in 1983 interview which can be found in this documentary.

Daleks - We had a discussion about that in filming. Because we thought they were Cardboard cut outs as well. Yet the only written reference we could find to inflatable Daleks (on the Wikipedia entry for the episode)

Source I used for William Hartnell/John Hurt was the Doctor Who Wikia on William Hartnell.

Admittedly, Hurt isn't counted as one of the 12 regenerations and I probably could've cut that out but these things happen.

Just watched the Robin Hood episode.

SUCKED

It was a nice fun lighthearted episode dragged down by "Clara is important because she gets Robin Hood to trust the Doctor"...seriously i cannot wait until she's gone

• Like 1