Doctor Who

Benji

Clara was perfectly fine, as she has been so far this series.

I thought Robot of Sherwood was an acceptable lighter filler episode. As someone mentioned previously, it feels like we got it to give a brief respite from the relatively dark episodes either side.

• Like 1

The problem with Dr Who i feel is it caters to kids too much now. I remember watching some of the older episodes and it scared the shit out of me. It felt like a huge deal.

I believe that if they made it not darker but more , for want of a better word, serious and push the time to say 9pm or even 10pm, they could get the magic back. I think the showrunner and writers are a bit stumped and stifled on how to write it now as its almost become too eclectic with its fanbase and is trying to appease everyone.

The problem with Dr Who i feel is it caters to kids too much now. I remember watching some of the older episodes and it scared the shit out of me. It felt like a huge deal.

I believe that if they made it not darker but more , for want of a better word, serious and push the time to say 9pm or even 10pm, they could get the magic back. I think the showrunner and writers are a bit stumped and stifled on how to write it now as its almost become too eclectic with its fanbase and is trying to appease everyone.

But, Doctor Who is a kids show. It's always been a kids show. What you're describing existed and it was called Torchwood.

The first episode of this series had a robot who assembles new parts for his body by harvesting them from other living beings (and had a shot of said robot impaled on Big Ben). The second episode had The Doctor being pretty cool with watching someone die and not giving a shit because he was being attacked with Dalek anti-bodies. Which is fairly serious.

Third episode, was not great but a bit of filler. There were some good bits in there. I was kinda hoping that it would be revealed that The Doctor was right all along and everything they'd seen was created by the alien spaceship trying to blend in thus proving him right about Robin Hood not existing - but maybe that was just too bleak of an ending for the episode coming after two darker stories.

• Like 2

The only time Doctor Who tried to move away from the kids market was the first few seriels of Jon Pertwee when they tried to aim to the Quatermas audience going for the teens and adults but while it was a good series of stories it was a bit too heavy and they reformated when they brought in Jo.

The only thing I really hate about the show is the serious overuse of the sonic screwdriver. They got rid of it for good reason during the Peter Davison era, and didn't bring it back until Sylvester McCoy (Colin Baker did use a tool called a sonic lance once, but it was something completely different). On top of that, in the new series its gained all sorts of abilities it didn't have before, and its now more or less a handheld version of Batman's utility belt.

And I can't tell for sure, but is Peter Capaldi's sonic screwdriver the same one as Matt Smith's, but colored differently?

Well, of course Capaldi will get a new one. Because the reason the Doctor overuses the damn thing and gets a new one from time to time is so they can market replicas (props, toys, etc) and make money off it. I even saw an actual screwdriver with interchangeable driver heads designed to look like Smith's for sale at the comic shop I used to frequent. If it had been the previous design that Eccleston and Tennant used and wasn't $50, I might have considered buying it.

And frankly, I found the design of Smith's to be hideous. Looked a lot better with the changes they made to it for Capaldi.

I actually liked Matt Smith's one. Mostly for the clawy bit.

I'll take over use of the screwdriver over any use of K-9. I'm cool with a return of Bessie though. :shifty:

The teaser for tonight's episode looks EXACTLY like what I like from Doctor Who. Anything playing creepy/childhood fears works for me and that mood might be perfect for Capaldi.

The first episode of the series was alright. Second episode inside the Dalek was horrible as far as I was concerned. Robin Hood was average but Clara's doing my head in. I wasn't taken by Capaldi doing silly either.

Four episodes but that was finally great. Mr Pink remains a really interesting character, Doctor was on fire, and even Clara was pretty good (her chemistry with Pink massively helps). Great twist with it being The Doctor as a child, seeing someone we know as a hero so weak and feeble suddenly makes him seem so much grander again (plus the cameo from John Hurt was lovely and well done). Some great funny, touching and creepy stuff into one episode. Here's to hoping there's many more like this one.

• Like 1

I found it really dull, just wibbly wobbly Moffatness without a good central idea like his better stuff. It felt like it was going to eventually build to something, then didn't, and some of Clara's speechy bits just felt totally of place. Give me robot Sheriff of Nottingham any day if that's what a serious episode is going to be.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed that episode! Mr. Pink looks like an interesting character that I hope they revisit, and Clara was great this time out.

Ok...so I'm confused...

If there really is nothing there, then what was that on Rupurts bed when they were at the childrens home?