Doctor Who

Benji

Brilliant episode, one of the best yet - totally surprised given the premise, but it was brilliantly done. The Doctor/Clara relationship has finally become interesting in these last two, and Capaldi was fantastic throughout. He's just a much more complete actor than anyone they've had in the role for a long time.

• Like 2

I feel like Capaldi's Doctor came into his own in that episode. It was also a great episode for Clara I think she gets a bit of an bum rap as a companion to be honest.

Having only watched it this morning, I enjoyed it. The shrinking TARDIS was an interesting element to add, and I thought the alien choice was very well done. Surprises me that they keep coming up with new monsters that I find interesting.

Very intrigued by the underlying theme in this series though, just who is that woman?!

I think Clara's been perfectly fine the past few episodes, and she's certainly not been made to look as extra-super-special and amazing as some other companions have in the past. She's nowhere near Rose territory in that regard. Or Amy Pond, even.

Saying that, the end of this episode made me skeptical. I was quite enjoying that after all the "Impossible Girl" stuff was out of the way, by this series we just had Clara back to being a normal, human companion who has human motivations and isn't there to be a mystery to be solved...but now it looks like we might end up going right back to that.

As for the episode...I liked it. Not bad for a "Doctor light" episode, the shrinking TARDIS thing was fun. The 2D creatures thing was nice, although I think the Doctor probably should have been a little bit more concerned about them coming from another universe - as much as other universes something that's been quietly introduced into Doctor Who canon over the past few series, they're still relatively new to him, and not being able to understand or control them should concern him perhaps a bit more. But that's nitpicking on clumsy writing, I suppose.

I liked the subversion of the usual "they're just misunderstood, they're scared too, they're THE LAST OF THEIR KIND" trope when all those plans failed and it just came down to "no, they're just dicks". As with almost any Doctor Who monster of the week episode, though, it kind of fell apart when the Doctor had to get rid of them. We'd spend an episode not knowing how they could be stopped and then...WITH SCIENCE, I guess. The Doctor says they're dead so they are now, don't ask questions.

That's kind of always been the flaw of Doctor Who, but it's been very apparent this series. I think it was Terry Pratchett who said that his problem with the series is that it's effectively a detective story; every episode is a mystery to be solved. But unlike any good detective story, the audience are never given the information necessary to solve it, so you can't get invested on that level, because the solution is, nine times out of ten, a made-up bit of science fiction nonsense.

• Like 2

Ignoring the flawed writing that Skummy pointed out, I liked the episode. It was one of those silly mid-season episodes with some silly stuff (The Doctor being 'Thing' inside the TARDIS was great). Clara keeps up her own streak of being a bearable viewer proxy, and the show continues it's streak of "not bad" episodes.

I thought this week's episode was very good. I particularly liked the scene where Clara realises that the Doctor lies to people because it gets the best out of them, therefore increasing their chances of survival in hairy moments.

As for it becoming 'the Clara Show', peeps need to go back and re-watch the early Hartnell stuff. He barely does anything, often leaving it up to his companions to sort everything out (Ian particularly).