Sign in to follow this  
Benji

Doctor Who

Gotta give Jodie a three year run, even though it will only cover two seasons.

I can live with a year off if it makes the next series a tad better. I love the characters, but Rosa aside that was pretty mediocre from start to finish, and a really underwhelming finale. Amusingly when I pressed stop I was on a Sky Movie channel showing Flintstones 2, and I think I prefer Addy in that... 

It's Early 2020 I believe, so it'll probably be on in a shade over a year. Wouldn't surprise me if they launch it on New Year's Day 2020.

I have really enjoyed this series but it certainly missed a little more substance in terms of story. I think Jodie is brilliant and the companions are all good too, and some episodes (Rosa, Demons of the Punjab) were very memorable but it was by no means a classic series.

Everyone is at least going to remember that frog....

The villains this season were absolute gash (universe in a frog, and "the humans are the villains" in Demons of Punjab aside). The companions were solid and Jodie was fun but not very compelling as The Doctor. The writing started off good but suffered towards the end. I don't think it was a bad season, but it has a lot to work on.

Bradley Walsh was outstanding, though to be honest I fully expected him to be. The rest just felt laboured though, some fairly forced obvious characterisation (yay, they finally fistbumped!) couldn't cover up some weak plots and horrendous conclusions in many cases. Rosa was excellent, and the one with Stitch on the spaceship was fun, but the rest were very forgettable, to the extent that I'd forgotten what the point of Tim Shaw was by the finale and barely followed what was happening. Maybe that's one and I'm not clever enough for it, but this is supposed to be a kids show with some depth. 

Bradley Walsh stole the show for me, really exceeded expectations.

I thought it was a solid series, though never felt like it kicked into the next gear. Maybe because, unlike the previous two showrunners, it never felt like there was an overarching narrative, so the last episode all seemed a bit abrupt. That said, what overarching narrative that did exist was on a purely personal level rather than "THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE HANGS IN THE BALANCE", which is much more effective storytelling.

Mostly I liked that it felt a complete break from previous seasons - no recurring characters, no classic Who monsters - while also feeling completely back-to-basics as a result of not having that baggage, and going back to a much more traditional structure. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and hope that the rumours of people only doing one more season aren't true, as it created a solid base to build from.

The trailer for the New Year episode only showing the Doctor and not who she was speaking to make me think it might be a familiar face, though.

• Like 1

I agree about Bradley Walsh stealing the show. 

My only real gripe about the season is that I really didn't care about Yaz at all until the Demons Of The Punjab episode. Though there were a couple of weak episodes, but that happens just about every season.

I liked the New Year episode. It lacked focus in places, the idea of the Dalek as a mythological entity sort of felt unexplored (and downplayed the Daleks' ability by having it canonically be defeated by medieval humans) and a tad too Steven Moffat-y, and it feels like Dalek biology is rewritten every series, but overall it was pretty good. I'm always impressed when they managed to make Daleks - particularly a lone Dalek - actually seem like a threat again.

I'll admit, I enjoyed the subtle dig at brexit.

I thought it was decent, without being blown away. Felt like it would been in the middle of the pack when compared to the episodes in the latest season. 

I enjoyed it, was pleasantly surprised in the end by the inclusion of Ryan's dad and frankly I found the symbiotic squid-like Dalek to be creepy as all hell, so it lived up to its historical billing as one of the most memorable villains albeit in a season lacking many really formidable alien threats.

The next classic blu-ray season has been announced. This season comprised of The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Frontier in Space, Planet of the Daleks. and The Green Death.

Looks like another missing story is being animated