Doctor Who

Benji

I'd just be happy with McGann reprising his role because out of all the "classic" Doctors he hasnt really aged as bad as some of the others, I would rather not have Tom Baker in a physical role myself since he could easilly do a audio role and still make it feel like his is there.

I just wish Ecclescake would come back for a one off or two, always been gutted he only did a series. I get his stance of not getting typecast, but he's done enough stuff for it not to be an issue, plus he's hardly ultra selective when he's doing the likes of GI Joe.

I'll say what I want - a good story.

I don't care if you've got one Doctor, or a million, I just want to be entertained, and hopefully they're going to do that. Quit whining that so-and-so isn't in it. There's fifty years of history to cover, some shit isn't going to get included. They've already done plenty of fanboy wankery over the last season or two, plus they might be hiding some surprises for the episode itself, so quit yer' bitchin' about what we don't know, and get excited about what we DO know.

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting that the 50th Anniversary needs to be deadly serious, more that - as well as an anniversary special - it's still part of an ongoing series, and still needs to tell a coherent story within forty-five minutes, or however long it will be. Trying to squeeze in six or seven additional cameos, plus potential archive footage of the first two Doctors, and squeezing in other iconic Doctor Who bits like the Daleks, and you're left with a confused, overly busy mess. The episode needs to look forward just as much as it looks to the past.

As for Big Vision; there is an anniversary audio drama coming out, starring all surviving "classic" Doctors.

First of all, isn't it meant to be 90 mins?

Second of all, do you actually watch Who? We've had incoherent stories and confused overly busy messes like, always. Some of which have been incredibly fun. I'm pretty sure people on here liked that Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS episode and I can't think of a single better description of that than confused overly busy mess. I personally didn't think much of it, I thought it was a waste of the potential it had, but I wouldn't have a problem with an anniversary being that. Surely everyone's willing to go "meh, whatever, SYLVESTER MCCOY! OHMYGOD! And he's playing the spoons!"

There is a difference between Peter Davidson looking a bit older but otherwise not much different once in costume and some makeup, and Colin Baker who now looks like he ate three other Colin Bakers.

You know what, there actually isn't. No, seriously, there's no difference at all. I'm glad you bought this up actually, because I hadn't thought about the comparison, and there really isn't an ounce of difference. Why would anybody care? I don't get it. Again, do you watch Doctor Who? Its a show with a young guy (at the moment) who's actually really old who flies around in a police box and has a magic wand and is travelling through his own time line and once beat the most feared army in the world with a hat and who beat the cybermen with a mobile phone charger and once defeated a DALEK with a cape and who destroyed a planet thingy with a leaf and floated after being turned into Dobby and once escaped by using an umbrella going down a wire and when facing death played the spoons and used to run around dressed up as a clown, and once wore celery on his lapel. But oh no, there's no possible way we can accept a reason to cover up Colin Baker coming back FAT! Because urrgh, umm, its different. And he's FAT! How do you explain that in a rational way?

so quit yer' bitchin' about what we don't know, and get excited about what we DO know.

Nobody's bitching. I'm just saying that the reasons people have given for not having the old Doctors back are utter nonsense.

You guys are silly. But then so is Who and that's why I love it.

Captain Jack and River Song could lead to fun scenes. I'm surprised he hasn't been brought back actually. I suppose its because they've tried to separate the current one from RTD's one a bit. Do we know if Moffat's ever toyed with it? Barrowman seems utterly desperate to be in the show again. Actually Jack and the Ponds would have been a real fun dynamic.

Jack and River would be pretty fun, if done right. And I'm saying this as someone absolutely sick of River Song.

And I wish they were using Donna instead of Rose in the 50th Anniversary special.

I'd guess that longtime fans don't really like the idea of the Doctor having a wife and see it as a departure from the way the Doctor was presented in Classic Who. I guess its also one of the more soap opera elements that Moffat introduce to the show, and some fans already had problems with RTD doing that.Plus after a long time of having a show where the lead character rarely ever had much of a romantic plot it's possibly a bit jarring for some fans to see him have a wife.

Donna in the 50th would be more fun I think. I preferred the relationship between her and the Doctor to Rose

Yeah, as much as I love Amy, Donna is still the best companion New Who has had. She's the only one who treats The Doctor for what he is at the end of the day, an alien. An alien who has done so much good for Earth and humanity but still an alien. Rose and Martha were so blatantly in the love with The Doctor that they were effectively his own little cheerleading squad at time, Amy too at time (not in love with him, well not to the level Rose and Martha were, I'd say she lusted after him but was not in love with him, but still willing to bring the pom poms out when needed).

Donna would praise him when he deserved it but also call him out on things that Rose and Martha would have let him get away with. The ending Donna got was an insult to the character, especially when in the same episode Donna get her mind wiped of all thing Doctor (so her mind won't burn, though when she starts remembering stuff in The End of Time it turns out The Doctor totally installed a fail safe in her that he decided wasn't worth telling Wilf about because "her mind will burn and she will die" sounds more dramatic than "she'll get knocked out for a bit but then will be completely fine with no after effects whatso ever. Also, just on the off chance, if someone were to copy themselves onto every human on the planet, then this fail safe also protects her from that, you never know when that could come in handy"), Rose gets her own personal Doctor to keep forever.

Yes I am still bitter about Journey's End

Also just decided to watch the 1996 film since it's been added to Netflix.

Not even a minute in and I've already winced several times at some of the liberties they take with the canon. (The Master being tried on Skaro, the Daleks being the judge and executioners, the fact the time vortex in the credits look like that wormhole the Enterprise entered in The Motion picture) Plus who thought those voices for the Daleks sounded good?

The rest of this film is going to hurt isn't it? I think I can be strong but knowing Eric Roberts is coming up scares me

Captain Jack and River Song could lead to fun scenes. I'm surprised he hasn't been brought back actually. I suppose its because they've tried to separate the current one from RTD's one a bit. Do we know if Moffat's ever toyed with it? Barrowman seems utterly desperate to be in the show again. Actually Jack and the Ponds would have been a real fun dynamic.

Jack was rumoured to be asked to come back for the season finale where the Doctor called up his "friends" to save Amy and Melody, but Barrowman wasn't available.

The 1996 film isn't good. The only good bits are Sylvester McCoy's part, the design of the TARDIS, and Paul McGann, who was a fantastic Doctor, but given horrendous material to work with.

• Like 1

I'd guess that longtime fans don't really like the idea of the Doctor having a wife and see it as a departure from the way the Doctor was presented in Classic Who. I guess its also one of the more soap opera elements that Moffat introduce to the show, and some fans already had problems with RTD doing that.Plus after a long time of having a show where the lead character rarely ever had much of a romantic plot it's possibly a bit jarring for some fans to see him have a wife.

Donna in the 50th would be more fun I think. I preferred the relationship between her and the Doctor to Rose

Actually, for me its not got a damn thing to do with the Doctor having a wife. Its a combination of her meeting the Doctor out of order at various times, the fact we already know what's eventually going to happen to her, AND more often than not its hard to believe she's the same character from her first appearance. The reveal of her being Melody Pond is where it really went downhill.

I liked the Doctor-Donna relationship more than i did the Doctor-Rose, and it would be a bit dramatic seeing 11 meet Donna again, knowing that eventually she's going to forget she ever knew him at all.

Yeah, I meant to say "some longtime" fans. Personally I don't get the criticisms but then I see Susan as being his granddaughter and him as having a family in the past, so I don't really have an issue with him having a wife now.

The only good bits are Sylvester McCoy's part, the design of the TARDIS, and Paul McGann, who was a fantastic Doctor, but given horrendous material to work with.

The regeneration scenes alright, a bit over the top and operatic but they kind of justify why.

Plus who thought those voices for the Daleks sounded good?

Given what they wanted to do with the Daleks if they recieved the full series they were after the voices would have been the very least of their problems.

Are you guys talking about the movie that was on Fox? I remember watching that when it was on originally and having no idea what Doctor Who was just that it looked Sciencey. I thought it was awful. Wondering if it would seem worse now that I know a bit about the character