Doctor Who

Benji

Are you guys talking about the movie that was on Fox? I remember watching that when it was on originally and having no idea what Doctor Who was just that it looked Sciencey. I thought it was awful. Wondering if it would seem worse now that I know a bit about the character

The more you know about Doctor Who the worse the film gets. Put it this way, once you know enough about Doctor Who to understand everything that happens in the film, Eric Roberts' performance becomes not the worse thing about it

The movie was seriously a lot better than some of their ideas for the series, one highlight of which was turning the Daleks into spider things and scrapping their classic design. There was stuff about the Doctors father or something as well. They had some mental ideas. If that series had have got made I don't suppose Doctor Who would be on TV right now.

The best bits of the TV movie are 1) Sylvester McCoy 2) Paul McGann.

Everything else pretty much looks like a product of its time.

Nah. I mean in season 2 there's only really episode 2 ("Tooth and Claw") which is loosely enough why Torchwood was made (but only in the sense of "and this is how The Doctor pissed off Queen Victoria"), and then the final double-parter ("Army of Ghosts" / "Doomsday") is like "Oh hey Torchwood happened and here it is!". Aside from a couple of other name drops, that's it. And in fact the Torchwood spinoff series is a brand new Torchwood anyway so not especially connected (since the Torchwood in the final double-parter is, shall we say, defunct by the end of those episodes).

Really, knowing who Captain Jack is is more important to Torchwood - and you'll already have that if you watched the end of season 1.

Watching "Rise of the Cybermen" and god damn Mickey and Rose are so annoying. I really can't stand them. Mickey is such a cry baby and Rose never listens to a single thing the Doctor says. I know whats going to happen at the end of the season and I find myself looking forward to it.

I seem to remember reading that RTD wanted to make the Doctor and Rose more arrogant and obnoxious so that, in a way, they kind of deserved what came of them. I've no idea whether or not that story is true, maybe it's in one of his writing books, but if it is I think it was probably an idea too advanced for the show really. You really need those two central characters to be likeable and have a fun relationship or it just doesn't work.

Nah. I mean in season 2 there's only really episode 2 ("Tooth and Claw") which is loosely enough why Torchwood was made (but only in the sense of "and this is how The Doctor pissed off Queen Victoria"), and then the final double-parter ("Army of Ghosts" / "Doomsday") is like "Oh hey Torchwood happened and here it is!". Aside from a couple of other name drops, that's it. And in fact the Torchwood spinoff series is a brand new Torchwood anyway so not especially connected (since the Torchwood in the final double-parter is, shall we say, defunct by the end of those episodes).

Really, knowing who Captain Jack is is more important to Torchwood - and you'll already have that if you watched the end of season 1.

I'd say its worth watching to the end of Series 2, because they do reference 'the other Torchwood' a few times early on. Certainly wouldn't hurt anyway.

• Like 1

Mickey was a whiney little wanker (I think that's the term you'd use?) at first. But by the time he left the show, he was pretty likeable.

I think that Rose is the most overrated companion of all time.

Mickey was a whiney little wanker (I think that's the term you'd use?) at first. But by the time he left the show, he was pretty likeable.

It probably helped that I first started watching Doctor Who before hearing anyone talk about it (just saw it on Netflix and I've heard the name before, so decided to check it out), but I love Rose Tyler. I tend to see more people shit on her than I do people gush over her, which sucks for me. I guess I can understand why people don't like her, but eh. I still love her.

That said, I think Donna is a bit more of a favorite just because she takes no shit from anyone, Time Lord or not.

It probably helped that I first started watching Doctor Who before hearing anyone talk about it (just saw it on Netflix and I've heard the name before, so decided to check it out), but I love Rose Tyler. I tend to see more people shit on her than I do people gush over her, which sucks for me. I guess I can understand why people don't like her, but eh. I still love her.

Secret Diary of a Call Girl was quite kinky in fairness.