Doctor Who

Benji

Pretty gutted about this. He's been pretty great, and at times when the material's been a little off for whatever reason he's carried on knocking it out of the park. But its been obvious for a while now that he's kinda surpassed the show, I don't really mean that as a knock to the show, but he's become so great, started getting the movie attention, its been coming. Let the speculation begin. How long will the rumours last that the new Doctor is John Hurt before they announce another relative unknown?

I would absolutely love it to be Stephen Mangan.

Chances are it'll be a relative unknown, so there's very little point in speculating. I'll be sad to see Matt go, though.

• Like 2

The next Doctor should be one of these actors:

Robert Carlyle

Hugh Laurie (with Stephen Fry as The Master)

Idris Elba

Adrian Lester

Stephen Fry (with Hugh Laurie as The Master)

Tom Baker

John Simm with a crewcut and a goatee

John Barrowman with muttonchops and a mullet

David Morrissey with a mustache and his head shaved

Larry The Cable Guy

Edited by GhostMachine

I tend to think of Hugh Laurie as a great missed Doctor actually. Not for him, obviously, he had more success with House, but I'd have loved to have seen have him as Doctor Who too.

John Hurt being in the anniversary tends to make me think it won't be an older actor taking over Smith, although really that's silly because it still could easily be. I. wonder how long till they announce who ever they've cast. I guess it'll depend when they start getting ready for the next series more than anything.

As ever, the "first black Doctor" and "first female Doctor" rumours are abounding. I doubt we'll see either, though I'd rather a black Doctor than a female one. The Doctor being black wouldn't need to be addressed at all, really, while the Doctor being female would creative a whole bunch of narrative bollocks - you'd pretty much get a very Moffat story arc just out of that, I'm sure, and I'd much rather our next Doctor just gets to have a nice fun series with no real impending doom or unanswerable questions hanging over it.

On the topic of black Doctors, Idris Elba's name has been mentioned - I could definitely get behind that. I'd be happy with David Harewood, though he may be a little too old. That said, I'm hoping they go with a slightly older Doctor again now anyway.

Mangan is actually my favourite possibility now, though as I said, I fully expect it to be someone I've never heard of, and that's ideal. You don't want the Doctor to be "that guy out of that thing". You don't want to be distracted by it being a recognisable TV star as the Doctor, you want him to be the Doctor.