The Place Where Fallout Purists Whine

If I didn't know better I'd assume that having a shootout in the middle of a saloon would be cause for some kind of panic amongst the people lounging there. I was in a bit of a gun fight in the saloon in Megaton, of which I will not go into detail about, and no one sitting there seemed to care in the slightest. In fact the blonde sitting at the little table even made a pleasant comment to me following the bloodbath.

In previous Fallouts (and other RPGs for that matter) I can distinctly remember hordes of junkies and hookers running around screaming their virtual heads off when I decided to kill someone in a little jet den when he annoyed me. Seems as though this 'Radiant AI' bullshit still needs serious work.

It depends on their alignment, but yes, the Radiant AI has some serious issues with picking things like that up.

Anyone else found the Republic of Dave yet? Just wondering if...

Anyone could get someone besides Dave voted into office? Maybe them self? I'm hoping I did something wrong and that there was at least a couple of other outcomes. Seemed kind of pointless if not.

Also curious to know if anyone has failed a speech check yet? I failed one in Vault 101 but since then I don't think I have. I've even won a check that was like 42-48%. Maybe it has to do with my Charisma? Although that's only a 7 which I didn't think was too high (wasn't before anyways).

Breaking out of the vault was awesome, until I got caught by some guards. I shot one and his fucking head blew off, literally clean off and I was all like aaaaawesome until I searched him and found out it's the same black kid at my tenth birthday party who apologised for being mean.

I mean, what the fuck.

Okay, so.

- Minefield was a total mixed bag. It was kind of fun in a sort of arcadey sort of style but it represents what is wrong with FO3 in so many ways. Go inside the houses, see the details. Skeletal children clutching burnt books, a skeleton in the bathtub, it is so, SO amazingly atmospherically converyant of the fact that this is what small town America would look like after the bomb. Just like in the second trailer, when it scrolls out from the skeleton slumped over in front of the TV. But walk outside and you're stuck in a totally prescripted console style minigame/puzzle which ruins an otherwise totally immersive environment by reminding you that yes, this is just a game. It's not the world you can see yourself getting lost in, it just doesn't have that much depth.

- I think I am going to substantially increase my playtime in the game, not because I want to explor side quests or anything silly like that, but because after every time he kills something, I feel compelled to turn to Dogmeat and say "Good boy, Dogmeat! Good boy!" and then imagine myself rolling around in the desert scruffing his fur.

Any tips on easy ways to get some caps and some quests to do at the start of the game? Keep getting my arse kicked.

Not necessarily easy, but here's one:

Blow up Megaton. You'll need to talk to someone in Moriarty's (can't remember the name of the bloke), who will give you the charge needed. Then, make sure your Explosives skill is up to about 25, and attach it. You then have to travel to Tenpenny Tower and get paid 500 caps, or 1000 caps if you managed the speech skill part of the conversation, where you convince him to give you more money, as you had already been offered money from Simms to turn the bomb off.

1000 caps, and a room in Tenpenny Tower is your potential reward, though after blowing up Megaton, there hasn't exactly been a bundle of places to actually use my caps >_>

Maybe a large-ish spoiler, but it is one of the first quests I stumbled across, so shouldn't be giving too much away.

Also, is there a benefit to attacking slavers?

There's an anti-slavers union in FO3, but if they're as useful as the one in FO2, no, not really

A different ending to the quest Liam is talking about:

I was really, really tempted to blow the place up but I had taken a few quests on from Megaton so I figured I'd disarm the bomb instead. My stat was too low, so I was getting a bit pissed off until I saw the sheriff. I reported the guy who ordered the bombing, and followed as the sheriff ran to Moriarty's to apprehend him. The guy tries to argue but eventually agrees to go to jail. Sheriff leads the way when all of a sudden the bad guy pulls out his gun and blows the sheriffs head off. Everyone starts screaming and panicking, while the guy turns to me and says, more or less.

"That was a mistake. You'd better watch your back."

Lol, no. He turned to walk away so I shot him in the back, killing him.

Now I have a chinese assault rifle and a silenced pistol.

I've probably fucked up some future missions, but damn if it wasn't awesome.

I'm loving this game, enjoying it a lot more than Oblivion but...

...the sodding Super-Duper Mart quest is just a bitch. I killed the two Raiders outside the place and can kill the first Raider inside, but then it all goes to shit. I might as well have walked in there with a big sign saying "Please shoot me thank you". That is just...hard. I think I'll leave that until I learn how to shoot. Or get a decent gun. And some decent armour.

I'm loving this game, enjoying it a lot more than Oblivion but...

...the sodding Super-Duper Mart quest is just a bitch. I killed the two Raiders outside the place and can kill the first Raider inside, but then it all goes to shit. I might as well have walked in there with a big sign saying "Please shoot me thank you". That is just...hard. I think I'll leave that until I learn how to shoot. Or get a decent gun. And some decent armour.

Quest?

There is a quest involved? I stumbled across the place, and man, it was a bitch. A lot of creeping about, picking off person by person. Also, if you go in the right door to enter, there is a decent gun on the side, which was better than what I had at the time, IIRC.